PDA

View Full Version : Shurburne

Perchfisher
01-07-2022, 01:52 PM
Anyone know if the ice is good to drive on?

cujo1969
01-07-2022, 05:38 PM
is it still a good perch lake? should make trip down there ice should be plenty thick enough.

Perchfisher
01-07-2022, 05:46 PM
Hasn't been what you call a good perch lake for years. Still catch them but most are just 6 or 7 inches.

TROLLER
01-07-2022, 06:11 PM
It is sad. One of the best perch lakes in the south for yrs.

But as all good things the internet makes sure they come to an end.

I don't know if it will ever get back to a hump back perch fishery again.

Grew up fishn all the lakes in that area and none of them are any where near what they used to be. But that holds true for most area's in the province I am sure.

AK47
01-07-2022, 07:43 PM
Not sure how is internet to blame for perch size declining there when numbers seems to be higher than before? We caught hundreds of them non stop last year but yes, average size is 7-9 inches with odd 10 incher from usual 11-13 inchers about 10 years ago. If anything I think this lake needs some more predators to take smaller perch out.....

Perchfisher
01-08-2022, 04:25 PM
With pike being c/r for many years and a fair walleye population there should be enough predators to keep the small perch in check.

madatter
01-13-2022, 08:41 AM
With pike being c/r for many years and a fair walleye population there should be enough predators to keep the small perch in check.

One would think that at 40 Mile as well but the perch are crazy in there now.
I saw hundreds other day, very finnicky bites and without a camera probably would have caught half as much.
Tons of smaller perch....keep a couple of bigger ones early then scramble to get any size after.
Few pike roaming....caught a few walleye.

Poppa
01-13-2022, 02:28 PM
Speaking of perch and southern reservoirs..... noticed a big uptick in forage perch population on Newell/RHR this year. I saw perch once on the camera last year, and this year, school after school of them. I'm not sure what that means for the walleye and pike populations if there's that many perch roaming around, but it's curious anyhow....

Perchfisher
01-13-2022, 04:47 PM
I wonder why they are all so small. You would think with the amount that there is you would see some in the 12 inch range.