PDA

View Full Version : Gas getting in oil on zero turn mower

colt45
01-08-2022, 11:18 AM
I have a zero turn mower that I have a snow blade on front to clear my yard
I have noticed that the oil was coming up
I drained it and had an extra liter come out , that was gas in the oil
Any body know why this would happen?????
The motor is a Kawasaki Fx1000V , it normally hold 2 litres of oil.
The motor starts and runs normally , it is air cooled
Anybody have an idea
I changed oil and ran for about an hr and it seemed to gain oil level a bit already

01-08-2022, 11:20 AM
If it has a vacuum operated fuel pump they will leak gas into the crank case. The diaphragm cracks or gets a pin hole in it.

Dean2
01-08-2022, 11:57 AM
If it has a vacuum operated fuel pump they will leak gas into the crank case. The diaphragm cracks or gets a pin hole in it.

What he said. At the rate it is gaining volume it has to be a direct leak from the fuel system.

riden
01-08-2022, 12:07 PM
Off topic I know

I'd love to see a pic of your set up. How effective is it?

colt45
01-08-2022, 12:27 PM
It has a plastic fuel pump mounted on side of motor so must be vacuum operated I look closer when I get home later today ,
Here’s a pic , I’ve added some weight on back and to tires with fluid added , which helped greatly on traction , home made mounting system
Works good for me
I changed the fuel pump once when I broke it when a tree caught it but that was a year ago
Maybe I will have to change it, don’t want to wreck my motor
Thanks for the info

KegRiver
01-08-2022, 01:24 PM
Most of those machines were not meant for cold weather, the fuel pump diaphragm may be too stiff in the cold causing it to crack.

You might have other issues down the road. Steel has to be blended with the proper elements to withstand the cold.

I know that in the 1950s some farm tractors were prone to breaking axles and draw bars because the steel in them was not cold rated.

This article explains it in greater detail then I can.
https://www.cliftonsteel.com/knowledge-center/thermal-cracking

A lot of yard equipment is produced in sub tropical China. If your machine was made there it's a good bet that the steel in it won't be cold tolerant.

The fuel pump failing so soon after replacement further supports this hypothesis.

Dean2
01-08-2022, 01:26 PM
Most of those machines were not meant for cold weather, the fuel pump diaphragm may be too stiff in the cold causing it to crack.

You might have other issues down the road. Steel has to be blended with the proper elements to withstand the cold.

I know that in the 1950s some farm tractors were prone to breaking axles and draw bars because the steel in them was not cold rated.

This article explains it in greater detail then I can.
https://www.cliftonsteel.com/knowledge-center/thermal-cracking

A lot of yard equipment is produced in sub tropical China. If your machine was made there it's a good bet that the steel in it won't be cold tolerant.

The fuel pump failing so soon after replacement further supports this hypothesis.

Now that isn't something I ever thought about, but it actually makes perfect sense. One more reason, like I need any more, not to buy China junk.:)

EZM
01-08-2022, 02:02 PM
Now that isn't something I ever thought about, but it actually makes perfect sense. One more reason, like I need any more, not to buy China junk.:)

That's going to be nearly impossible unfortunately.

China produces 60% of the entire worlds steel and 80% of the cast steel (raw material) and 80% cast steel products.

India is the next largest producer. There is almost no "first world" country producing steel in any volumes anymore. Often times, countries will purchase raw material and feed stocks and refine them from Chinese feed stocks.

The issue with China (and Asia in general) is the quality certifications (MTR's) are faked/manipulated on a massive scale of the manufactured goods - not some, or most, but in the overwhelming majority of product lines, you will find this happening.

The blatant forgery, fakery, fraudulent antics I have witnessed over the last 25 years working with steel manufactured goods from Asia - and out inability/unwillingness to say "NO" to this cheap inferior product have led to us downsizing our capacity to fill our own needs in the western world.

We are captive to Asia (China) on Steel.

Same as we are now for produce. China produces >50% of all the fruit in the world.

Same as we are for plastic products. Again, China produces >50% here as well ...

Manufactured Goods. Yup ... you guessed it, >50% of consumer manufactured goods ...

Textiles. The list goes on ...

It's getting tougher and tougher to buy quality products.

Arctic
01-08-2022, 03:14 PM
Simple fix usually, .... put a shur off between the tank and carb, .... when finished using it, shut off fuel and let run dry!

Dean2
01-08-2022, 03:17 PM
Simple fix usually, .... put a shur off between the tank and carb, .... when finished using it, shut off fuel and let run dry!

His bigger problem is it is pumping fuel into the crankcase when in use, not so much when parked.

colt45
01-08-2022, 05:44 PM
His bigger problem is it is pumping fuel into the crankcase when in use, not so much when parked.

Ya that seems to be the problem, nothing happens when sitting not running.
Probably is the cold weather when using it out side , it is always parked in heated garage , so probably when I was using it outside in the cold weather , is when it possibly cracked , the plastic fuel pump is out in the open , so I could see where it could get very cold, Kawasaki motor, it is a Country Clipper mower , the BossXL model,
Built in Iowa , worked okay last couple years, but much colder this year so most likely the cold problem
I remember I had problems getting a fuel pump before, when it got broke by a stick,
Hopefully I can find one with out too much wait time. I can always take the blade off and use my quad again , as I did not change the mounting assembly, so I can put it back on easily on the quad.
May have to make a enclosure for the fuel pump so it gets some heat from the motor to keep it from being a problem
Thanks for the info
Going to take closer look at it tomorrow

HyperMOA
01-08-2022, 07:11 PM
Try contacting Kawasaki and see if they have cold weather versions from another application you could try like from a snowblower or something.

dfarms11
01-08-2022, 07:41 PM
Definately the fuel pump. I had the same thing happen with mine last year. Scared the crap out of me too but was a simple fix.

JULIUS
01-09-2022, 07:08 AM
I had this problem with my 89 yamaha atv. It was the carb. took it apart and cleaned it up and no more problem. ( still my go to hunting machine )I have also heard of this happening to guys hauling older atv's without turning off the gas from the tank to the carb.
Not sure if this helps as I have no idea of the machine you are talking about.

Jims83cj5
01-09-2022, 07:24 AM
Put a small valve in the fuel line and shut it off when not in use. If you get fuel in the oil still it’s the fuel pump, if not it’s the carb

tool
01-09-2022, 04:08 PM
Put a small valve in the fuel line and shut it off when not in use. If you get fuel in the oil still it’s the fuel pump, if not it’s the carb

Agreed.

Is it fuel injected or carbureted?

Had the same issue with my John Deere Z445

Could be sticking float if it’s carbureted. If not, likely the fuel pump.

204ruger
01-09-2022, 06:31 PM
The biggest issue is the fuel pump putting fuel into the engine through the vacuum hose while running. If cold weather running will be a common use with this machine eliminate the vacuum fuel pump plug of the port on motor and put on a electric. Pick u up a 1.5-3.5 psi fuel pump at princess auto wire it up to key power side and presto never anymore issue. Bought and done this dozens of times it works, and works fantastic.

colt45
01-10-2022, 05:54 PM
The biggest issue is the fuel pump putting fuel into the engine through the vacuum hose while running. If cold weather running will be a common use with this machine eliminate the vacuum fuel pump plug of the port on motor and put on a electric. Pick u up a 1.5-3.5 psi fuel pump at princess auto wire it up to key power side and presto never anymore issue. Bought and done this dozens of times it works, and works fantastic.

Thanks for that info , I was wondering if a electric fuel pump would work
I have vacuum pump ordered , but I will look into getting a electric one , now that I know that will work thanks

colt45
01-12-2022, 04:45 PM
Well I installed a electric fuel pump , actually same kind input on my Argo, snow plowed the yard and still gained in the oil,
Took off big hose from air cleaner to carb, watched while I revved it up he let off and could see small amount of gas come back , there is a hose that come off the connector and goes into the crankcase, I’m wondering if that is where I getting the gas in the oil from
Picked up some sea foam put in gas tank , and poured some in carb hole running engine, will run it again next time I need to plow and see what happens
Sent a email to Kawasaki and have not got a reply back