PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on barrel lengths

360hunt
01-08-2022, 06:42 PM
Being the weekend CFO office is closed.
Also I'd rather ask other members then CFO

Barrel lengths? To my understanding semi-automatic firearms need to be minimum 18.5" in length to be non restricted. Anything under is considered restricted or prohibited.

What about bolt action? Or lever? Or break action?
Rifles or shotguns ?

What is the required length for non restricted?
You can get turned around on the fed websites.

Cheers 360hunt

Dick284
01-08-2022, 06:51 PM
There’s a lot of moving parts to this puzzle.

First, is the barrel manufactured at length or has it been modified to length”“sawed off”. If manufactured at length and it is an action other than a semi auto and the firearm is designed to be used with both hands, and has a stock which maintains the overall length of the firearm at or above 660mm, it usually is classed as non restricted.

But then again the awkwardly moving goal posts which is re classification can have a firearm go from one class to another overnight, so you’d then require a firearms reference table FRT number from the current FRT to know for sure.

One handy thing I’ve used is online gun shoppe listings. Goggle the firearm in question in Canada and then see what retailers class it at, often go to more than one source, and you’ll see the commonality in classification. But remember the goal posts keep moving.

CNP
01-09-2022, 10:35 AM
Real examples. This 12 shotgun has a 8.5" barrel is is a non-restricted firearm as Dick indicates ^^^^

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/dominion-arms-grizzly-8-5-magfed-shotgun/

This shotgun fits the legal requirement of being longer that 660mm (25") in overall length. It is 28" inches overall in length and cannot be shortened by folding.

You cannot saw or modify a barrel to make this happen. It must be a manufactured barrel from a licensed firearms manufacturer.

A semi-auto rifle with a barrel shorter than 470mm (18.5") becomes a restricted firearm.

All of this can be found at: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/classes-firearms

Dick284
01-09-2022, 12:05 PM
Real examples. This 12 shotgun has a 8.5" barrel is is a non-restricted firearm as Dick indicates ^^^^

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/dominion-arms-grizzly-8-5-magfed-shotgun/

This shotgun fits the legal requirement of being longer that 660mm (25") in overall length. It is 28" inches overall in length and cannot be shortened by folding.

You cannot saw or modify a barrel to make this happen. It must be a manufactured barrel from a licensed firearms manufacturer.

A semi-auto rifle with a barrel shorter than 470mm (18.5") becomes a restricted firearm.

All of this can be found at: https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/classes-firearms

Unless said firearm is specified to be prohibited by name……..

Hence the my moving goal posts comment.

Day to day week to week the rules and naughty list changes, be aware and be informed.

360hunt
01-09-2022, 02:52 PM
But what about bolt action rifles?
Would 16" be non restricted? Or restricted?
Thanks

Dick284
01-09-2022, 03:16 PM
But what about bolt action rifles?
Would 16" be non restricted? Or restricted?
Thanks

The FRT is the final say, but like I said earlier.
If it wasn’t a chop job on the barrel and the complete overall length is at or over 660mm it most likely is non restricted.
Think about the Ruger 77/Hawkeye compact carbines, Win 94 trapper models, and the Henry/Rossi “Mares Leg”, or the example above.

Why don’t quit being so cryptic and post up with some specifics and pictures.

elkhunter11
01-09-2022, 03:21 PM
Unless said firearm is specified to be prohibited by name……..

Hence the my moving goal posts comment.

Day to day week to week the rules and naughty list changes, be aware and be informed.

Exactly, the entire classification system is a total disaster, almost as if it was designed to be as confusing as possible.

colroggal
01-12-2022, 09:30 AM
As it stands, a rimfire semiautomatic rifle can be manufactured with a barrel shorter than 18.5" and not be deemed restricted so long as the rifle's overall length remains above 26.5" without folding and being capable of firing while folded at a shorter length. A center fire semiautomatic rifle or shotgun must have a minimum of 18.5" of barrel length to be deemed non-restricted.

An individual or gunsmith can shorten - I.e. saw-off - any barrel down to 18.5", but not shorter or it becomes prohibited, BUT a barrel can be manufactured at any length. If a barrel shorter than 18.5" is manufactured and installed on any firearm other than a semiautomatic center fire rifle or shotgun, the length of the finished firearm without being able to fire from a folded position must be a minimum of 660mm

This is why currently a kel-tec sub2000 with a 18.5" barrel is non-restricted. Also why a pump shotgun with a 12.5" barrel and a 'bird's head' grip - or a pump shotgun with an 8.5" barrel and a full stock - are non-restricted. You cannot fire the kel-tec from its folded position and both examples of pump shotguns are a minimum of 26.5" or 660mm overall length without folding.

If you were to swap stocks on the shotguns and put the 'bird's head' grip on the 8.5" model, it would immediately become prohibited.

Dick's right about arbitrary individual firearms classifications changing, but as it stands, those are the rules.

Colin

6.5 shooter
01-12-2022, 03:14 PM
Too the best of my knowledge barrel length is also measured from the bolt face not from the front of the receiver as most people believe. BUT things may have changed, like everyone is saying the goal posts keep moving and yes it is on purpose. IMHO