PDA

View Full Version : short range target gun for MS guy

Cement Bench
01-09-2022, 05:01 PM
sad story, my cousin bought a Wichita used 6ppc, new barrel with 21 brass
no dies, no bullets and so on, 269 neck he was told, br stock

he has MS and is in a wheelchair, but still goes to the range with a friend and home care a few times a year

I can get him some 6ppc brass but he ordered 105 grain bullets and forgot he needed 62-68 grainers,

don’t want him to get into a bind and am trying to get him to sell the Wichita, nice gun but NOT what he needs

thinking a 222 or a 204 in a CZ or a ruger might be better

he shot my br custom 15 years ago and wanted one on the cheap but he is not able to turn necks and so on, needs a little better suited rifle for his outings

so I thought a 204 or 222 would be accurate enough and INTERESTING enough over a factory 223 to give home a fun time without just being a savage 223 type rifle

found a rem 700 in 204 for 700 bucks and a cz with some bullets for around a grand or a little more

should I keep guiding him towards a factory 204 or 222 rifle to have fun or just back off and watch it unfold

I feel like I am interfering but he has limited motor and brain skills at this time
no he is not dangerous just may not have what it takes to do a turned brass type rifle and could make a mistake

if we sell his and get a 204 ruger type rifle I can help buy him 2 or 300 rounds factory loaded to last a couple of years and then reload it at that time

thoughts my friends
not many of his relatives want to help as it always costs me money and time and not sure he appreciates being told he may be not going down the Center of the road straight

Cement Bench

Homesteader
01-09-2022, 05:27 PM
I know you’re talking centerfire, but don’t overlook a quality 22. Great fun, much cheaper to shoot, and no reloading. Hopefully I read your post right, but if not…..sorry.

How’s bullet/brass availability in 204, vs 224? Never hurts to discuss the options with him, ultimately he’s the shooter.

fps plus
01-09-2022, 06:02 PM
Simple process to ream chamber to a std 6ppc so necks don’t need to be turned .

huntinstuff
01-09-2022, 06:43 PM
Give it a year.

You will see what unfolds.

Personally I think you are right.

barsik
01-09-2022, 09:41 PM
I will echo what homesteader suggested. show him some decent quality rimfire rifles, ammo is available and relatively inexpensive, and he could use the same rifle to shoot at different types of targets and courses of fire. a dedicated BR rifle is pretty much limited to BR only.

Ackleyman
01-10-2022, 02:54 PM
Really great of you to help out your cousin. He may be handicapped but he bought the PPC cuz he wants an accurate rifle......and he knows. Power to the man. I think if you could persuade him to try the .204 it would be a win win avoiding the loading required for PPC but still having a very accurate centerfire that he can enjoy shooting.

Cement Bench
01-10-2022, 04:32 PM
cousin and I made an agreement
I have day surgery tomorrow so I may post later or wait until midweek

oh heck how about now

coles notes version of an hour discussion last night and again today

I buy his rifle and he abandons this project
then I help him with a 6 dasher barrel and loaded rounds for a rem 700 he does not use

also he did buy the 222 sako we discussed 2 years ago but not shot it yet, we will work on that

also I will try to get a couple of guys example 22 br rifle in a bat stock with spiral fluted heavy barrel Jewell trigger and so on to come down to the range my cousin shoots at, I will pay to have my friend load up 40 rounds and meet me at the range>………. Is gas expensive for a 4 hour round trip?

if this I’d done a couple of times then he gets his expensive accurate rifle fix

I get to think I am helping him……… duh financially again

and the benefits to me are less time to make sure he does not blow the gun up as it is a 269 neck and his motor skills are not 100 % so less stress for me

then if we are still here in 2 years I don’t have to resell his stuff with bullets die’s brass and so on at a hug loss

just will need to sell the rifle at a medium loss,
might call a few guys and then up the rifle for sale in a couple of weeks when I get it

think it was made clear to him to not buy another rifle without checking with me first IF HE wants me to take over his purchases that he has buyers remorse for

nobody loses an eye and he may even smile when we are done

that my friends is a win——-win.
later and thanks for helping me not jump off the ledge, really worried on this since just before Xmas 🎅