PDA

View Full Version : Ceviche

antlercarver
01-09-2022, 08:13 PM
Does anyone else take lime juice and a little salt to make ceviche when out ice
fishing. Can add onions and other things, but salt and lime are the main things.

Penner
01-09-2022, 09:22 PM
Ahh I wouldn’t eat raw fresh water fish or any fish from anywhere not properly processed as sushi grade.

Dewey Cox
01-09-2022, 09:35 PM
Fry it in butter like God intended.

Sundancefisher
01-10-2022, 08:29 AM
Does anyone else take lime juice and a little salt to make ceviche when out ice
fishing. Can add onions and other things, but salt and lime are the main things.

Raw freshwater fish in Alberta is a no no.

In William A Switzer Provincial Park… they have tape worms that can infect people easily. For instance.

Sundancefisher
01-10-2022, 08:30 AM
Fry it in butter like God intended.

Yup… then a little splash of lime.

jeprli
01-10-2022, 09:06 AM
Its not raw it is cooked in lime juice and marinated with salt. Best way to enjoy certain types of fish and molluscs.

In saying that, i'll eat high altitude trout this way but would not be willing to experiment with fish below cattle grazing lease, cities and treatment plants.

Smoky buck
01-10-2022, 09:53 AM
Its not raw it is cooked in lime juice and marinated with salt. Best way to enjoy certain types of fish and molluscs.

In saying that, i'll eat high altitude trout this way but would not be willing to experiment with fish below cattle grazing lease, cities and treatment plants.

You can get worms from high mountain trout. I have 3 buddies who thought it was a great idea to make ceviche on a mountain goat hunt in BC and all of them got worms.

Your choice to take a chance but myself no way I am doing it with freshwater fish

calgarychef
01-10-2022, 10:06 AM

You can call it cooked if you want but the parasites might not agree with you.

jeprli
01-10-2022, 10:19 AM
Thats fine with me. No issues so far. Know what you're doing and you will be just fine. That "temp control" thing really stuck with some, great method but overkill for certain proteins and fats.

No comment on goat hunters.

Fish along
01-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Raw freshwater fish in Alberta is a no no.

In William A Switzer Provincial Park… they have tape worms that can infect people easily. For instance.

Many salt water fish have tapeworms,seen it lots.:)

gunluvr
01-10-2022, 11:08 AM
Raw fish? Ick! I wouldn't even eat undercooked fish. The texture is beyond awful.
Ceviche is always made with seafood (saltwater). I still wouldn't eat it.

Sundancefisher
01-10-2022, 11:28 AM
Many salt water fish have tapeworms,seen it lots.:)

Which is why flash freezing is used.

There is no argument to say it’s safe to eat raw fish caught in Alberta. It just isn’t safe.

It is also highly recommended to flash freeze ocean fish before consuming.

Also lime juice doesn’t kill parasites like flash freezing and cooking.

Also fish handling is alway important to prevent bacteria contamination.

I know a guy who said mountain water was great to drink. I said never do it unless you want Giardia lamblia. He said no beavers live above the spot… and I said don’t chance it.

A few days later… his guts were in agreement with me.

Takes risks if you must but don’t convince others to do so also. Not saying you in particular. Just general response to this topic.

Fish along
01-10-2022, 11:45 AM

There is no argument to say it’s safe to eat raw fish caught in Alberta. It just isn’t safe.

I know a guy who said mountain water was great to drink. I said never do it unless you want Giardia lamblia. He said no beavers live above the spot… and I said don’t chance it.

Takes risks if you must but don’t convince others to do so also. Not saying you in particular. Just general response to this topic.
Yes i agree mostly,but im a bit old fashioned i suppose and stay away from uncooked fish,im on the fence as to flash frozen killing worms because they have been evolving for millions of years and are highly adaptable. But the flash frozen makes for a far greater end product without a doubt. Ihave found that the localy bought flash frozen fish is comparable to Lobster Mobsters fish any time.:)

jeprli
01-10-2022, 02:17 PM
No one is convincing anyone of anything, dude asked a question and people replied. Some like, it some don't... we all have our reasons why.

Been drinking spring water for 6 years now, straight from the hillside. I do an annual test in spring, seems to always be clean, coming out of ground next to beaver ponds.

Sometimes you just don't know it till you try it ;)

EZM
01-10-2022, 02:23 PM
I was under the impression that the lemon or lime juice acids cook (kill) bacteria and parasites. Having said that I have never thought about trying this with freshwater white fleshed fish like pike, perch or walleye. Typically ceviche is white fleshed sea fish cut from loins (or larger muscles).

I have had it in restaurants and it's amazing ...

dodgeboy1979
01-10-2022, 03:11 PM
I was under the impression that the lemon or lime juice acids cook (kill) bacteria and parasites. Having said that I have never thought about trying this with freshwater white fleshed fish like pike, perch or walleye. Typically ceviche is white fleshed sea fish cut from loins (or larger muscles).

No different then making pickled pike or walleye, the vinegar basically cooks the fish.

calgarychef
01-10-2022, 03:47 PM

It would have to be totally penetrated by the acids, and I’m sure it isn’t by sitting in lime juice for 20 minutes.

calgarychef
01-10-2022, 03:49 PM

I was watching some videos by one of Japan’s leading sushi chef and he swears by freezing fish for sushi. Partly to enhance the tenderness of the fish so it isn’t too firm.

EZM
01-10-2022, 04:04 PM
I was watching some videos by one of Japan’s leading sushi chef and he swears by freezing fish for sushi. Partly to enhance the tenderness of the fish so it isn’t too firm.

I believe this is in the FDA guidelines in the US for Sushi.

Not sure about Canada.

Also saw this on a food network show - and one of the famous NY sushi gurus who freezes all of his sushi fish. He also mentioned, which was eye opening, is that the rice is often more important than the fish itself .... seems counter intuitive, but that's what he said.

Can't recall his name, but he was one of Anthony Bourdain's friends and was on the show a few times.

edit : Sushi master's name was Yasuda .... he uses medical freezers

The Fisherman Guy
01-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Ceviche is amazing, one of the most refreshing recipes for fish.

I would never prepare, eat or serve it with fresh - unfrozen fish. My wife is a parasitologist, her word is DON'T eat uncooked or unfrozen fish period.

Commander B
01-10-2022, 05:13 PM
Now can we talk about Ivermectin and lime?

To soon?

B.

Mr Flyguy
01-10-2022, 05:34 PM
Raw fish? Ick! I wouldn't even eat undercooked fish. The texture is beyond awful.
Ceviche is always made with seafood (saltwater). I still wouldn't eat it.

Nonsense, I had cerviche in Peru 15 years ago on the other side of the Andes with local trout and it was delish, and no worms!