PDA

View Full Version : Building a custom folding EDC knife

Double-Eh
01-09-2022, 11:59 PM
Humour me here.... I'm looking for a knife I can use as an every day carry. I've googled countless knives, and visited the major knife maker, supplier sites, etc. I'm not looking for the top of the top brand necessarily. I just have specific wants, and haven't been able to find the knife that fits it. Honestly, if I found what I wanted, I'd consider buying multiple knives as I may go through a few. I wonder if anyone knows of a company that would allow me to build a knife? The biggest obstacle is the clip, I want to be particular about how my knife sits clipped to my pocket and haven't found any that are the way I want, or that allow the clip to be moved to the position I want.

For what it's worth, I'm looking for:
Camber assisted, opened with the index on top
4 to 5 inch, non serrated blade
Glass punch on the base of the handle
Seatbelt cutter in the base of the handle (not critical, but preferred if at all possible)
Clip located so that the glass punch faces up in my left pocket, and when I grab the knife, my index would naturally be placed on top of the blade were it opened. (ideally, the clip could be moved to the other side if I want to switch pockets)

tirebob
01-10-2022, 06:53 AM
There are tons of custom knife makers out there building knives. Spend a but of time on the internet and find one who do the work you like and pull out your wallet and boom!

bladeforums.com is a good forum to get your feet wet...

Pathfinder76
01-10-2022, 07:05 AM
Quality custom folders are extremely expensive. That would be my only concern with that route.

tirebob
01-10-2022, 07:08 AM
Quality custom folders are extremely expensive. That would be my only concern with that route.Not a lot of options if you know exactly what you want and nobody makes it. A guy does have to be realistic though. If potentially dropping as much on a folder for every day use as you would on a quality rifle is not in the cards, then deciding on the best of what is on the shelf is the option behind door number two...

Dean2
01-10-2022, 07:18 AM
Humour me here.... I'm looking for a knife I can use as an every day carry. I've googled countless knives, and visited the major knife maker, supplier sites, etc. I'm not looking for the top of the top brand necessarily. I just have specific wants, and haven't been able to find the knife that fits it. Honestly, if I found what I wanted, I'd consider buying multiple knives as I may go through a few. I wonder if anyone knows of a company that would allow me to build a knife? The biggest obstacle is the clip, I want to be particular about how my knife sits clipped to my pocket and haven't found any that are the way I want, or that allow the clip to be moved to the position I want.

For what it's worth, I'm looking for:
Camber assisted, opened with the index on top
4 to 5 inch, non serrated blade
Glass punch on the base of the handle
Seatbelt cutter in the base of the handle (not critical, but preferred if at all possible)
Clip located so that the glass punch faces up in my left pocket, and when I grab the knife, my index would naturally be placed on top of the blade were it opened. (ideally, the clip could be moved to the other side if I want to switch pockets)

I did a fair amount of checking into this about 3 years ago. Custom folders start at $600 and hit $1,500 real fast. They are significantly more expensive than fixed blade customs. There are also relatively few custom makers capable of making a high quality custom folder. I did not keep the notes from that search as I decided $1200 dollars for the knife I wanted didn't make real good sense when I could get very close custom ordering from Buck for $200.

My suggestion given the parameters you set would be to buy the closest factory knife and have extra clip mounting holes and the like added by a craftsman.

58thecat
01-10-2022, 07:48 AM
2004 I got a custom folder made 400 bucks which then was a lot but it is one of a kind made for me.
The knife maker and I had more time discussion everything then it probably took to make.
He did such a great job that I got one made for my son and father in law too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bat119
01-10-2022, 08:02 AM
I looked around for a custom EDC with a Damascus blade very hard to find lots of fakes out there, camel bone handle is a give away the cost was more than I want to risk on a EDC lost a few over the years.
For car escape I have a dedicated knife in the side pocket of my truck easy to get if I'm sinking in a lake.
Kersaw has a line of camber knives that fit the bill, I prefer a 3" blade thin body easy to carry

My current EDC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7bjCbm8wPk

Question do you need to use the clip when carrying a camber opening knife, is it considered concealed in your pocket?

Double-Eh
01-10-2022, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the insight. I figured a much. I was just hoping I had missed an obvious site or something.

Question do you need to use the clip when carrying a camber opening knife, is it considered concealed in your pocket?

No. If you're talking about it like: being charged for "sec 90 CC carrying a concealed weapon" while carrying a knife (camber assisted doesn't matter, as long as the knife isn't prohibited like a switchblade or butterfly, its just a knife) then you would have to be chargeable for "sec 88 possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose".
Essentially there would have to be reason to believe you used or plan to use, or could use (like if you were threatening to stab someone) your knife as a weapon. The conceal charge would be an add on based on how you carry it, and idk if just a jean pocket is concealment enough tbh. But I've already dived into this too much.

urban rednek
01-10-2022, 09:27 AM
FWIW- there aren't many folders built with a 4"+ blade, they are too bulky for EDC in a pocket.
I'm confused by this part: Clip located so that the glass punch faces up in my left pocket, and when I grab the knife, my index would naturally be placed on top of the blade were it opened. (ideally, the clip could be moved to the other side if I want to switch pockets)
Do you mean the punch and the blade operating cam should be located on the same end? If so, that's not gonna happen. They are all designed with the punch opposite the hinge.

You might be better off to pick one of the many Rescue Knifes currently available that checks off the most boxes, then get a local bladesmith to build a non-serated replacement blade for you.

obsessed1
01-10-2022, 10:38 AM
FWIW- there aren't many folders built with a 4"+ blade, they are too bulky for EDC in a pocket.

I'm confused by this part:

Do you mean the punch and the blade operating cam should be located on the same end? If so, that's not gonna happen. They are all designed with the punch opposite the hinge.

You might be better off to pick one of the many Rescue Knifes currently available that checks off the most boxes, then get a local bladesmith to build a non-serated replacement blade for you.Yup first thing I thought was a rescue blade. Often they are built for tip down carry. You want tip up.. simply save some holes drilled and tapped for tip up carry and Bob's your uncle. You can use whatever clip you want for the perfect depth of carry your after. Most of these knives will be 3.5" or under.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

bat119
01-10-2022, 12:28 PM
You can try

https://www.rhidianknives.com/

He makes custom folders

Dean2
01-10-2022, 12:34 PM
You can try

https://www.rhidianknives.com/

He makes custom folders

Some nice looking knives, any idea what the price range is?

bat119
01-10-2022, 12:38 PM
I asked about a damascus blade stock knife a few years ago $850 3 months delivery