PDA

View Full Version : Dashcam. Which have you got?

Ken07AOVette
01-11-2022, 10:42 AM
If you do not have 1, I would suggest getting one with the new laws coming in.

I was run into in Valleyview, dashcam caught the entire thing when the scumbag was standing there fabricating a story, how I was in the wrong, lawfully parked when he ran into me. All I had to do was point at the red blinking light in the windshield and he signed a paper explaining fully what happened. A copy of the video to the insurance companies and I was golden.

It didnt matter that he came up to my solar plexus, he was well lubricated and 10 feet tall. I did call the police, but they were unable to attend. They said if I felt strongly enough about him being intoxicated they would call in a member from another detachment but it would take time. I told him this, he signed.

I use hardwired Blackvue and Thinkware

Like this- https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/thinkware-qa100-elite-2k-1440p-quad-hd-wifi-dashcam-bundle-with-rear-camera-and-hardwire-kit-32gb-cpl-filter/14333146

Wide angle, super HD (2560×1440) front dash and full HD (1920×1080) rear facing cameras with built in GPS and wifi capabilty with mobile app. Hardwiring kit included.

Features:

Camera: Sony Starvis CMOS sensor, 5.14MP, powered by an Ambarella A12 CPU

Angle of View - 140 degrees, with Smart Focus System

Resolution: 2560x1440P, Max 30fps

Includes Rear 2.13MP FHD 1080P Camera & 6m cable

GPS - Built-in

Memory - 32GB Micro SD card and card reader included. Compatible up to 128GB.

Super Night Vision 2.0 - increases exposure at low-light settings

Lane Departure & Collision avoidance alerts

Wi-Fi- Built-In

Includes: Mount, Hardwire cable, filter, cable holder, User guide, USB adaptor

Outbound
01-11-2022, 10:50 AM
I have a Viofo A119. It's been really good.

Twisted Canuck
01-11-2022, 11:04 AM
I haven't really wanted one, but I'm re-thinking that now. Messaged my friend at the local Audio place who did my speaker install, see what he can hook me up with. Until now, I've always felt that the evidence would do me more harm then good. :thinking-006:

fordtruckin
01-11-2022, 04:51 PM
Got my wife a next base 222. Have ended up getting my parents and sister one. Great resolution and small files. Disappears behind the rear view mirror.

Au revoir, Gopher
01-11-2022, 05:00 PM
If you do not have 1, I would suggest getting one with the new laws coming in.

Thanks Ken, the penny hadn't dropped on that point yet...

I was wishing I had one the other day. I think I now have a reason to go shopping.

ARG

huntinstuff
01-11-2022, 05:43 PM
I haven't really wanted one, but I'm re-thinking that now. Messaged my friend at the local Audio place who did my speaker install, see what he can hook me up with. Until now, I've always felt that the evidence would do me more harm then good. :thinking-006:
Me too.

The last thing i need is my camera incriminating me.....

fordtruckin
01-11-2022, 06:08 PM
Me too.

The last thing i need is my camera incriminating me.....

That’s why I got a base model. Records video but let’s me turn off audio. No option for vehicle speed or gps.

CNP
01-11-2022, 06:29 PM
That’s why I got a base model. Records video but let’s me turn off audio. No option for vehicle speed or gps.

^^^^

Ken07AOVette
01-11-2022, 06:43 PM
No GPS means it will not show your speed which means no proof in court or for insurance if you get a ticket you disagree with.
Just a thought

pittman
01-11-2022, 07:05 PM
What are these new traffic laws fellas?

bat119
01-11-2022, 07:06 PM
I have a Garmin nüviCam I don't use it everyday only on trips to big cities, it's more GPS than dashcam.

57charlie
01-11-2022, 08:28 PM
What are these new traffic laws fellas?

Alberta is about to eliminate your right to defend yourself in a court of law.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=407179

flyrodfisher
01-11-2022, 08:41 PM
Alberta is about to eliminate your right to defend yourself in a court of law.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=407179

That is simply not true.
You still have the right to defend yourself...it will just cost you a non refundable fee.

elkhunter11
01-11-2022, 09:04 PM
That is simply not true.
You still have the right to defend yourself...it will just cost you a non refundable fee.

You can pay for a ticket to be reviewed, but you don't get to appear before a judge in a court of law.

fordtruckin
01-11-2022, 09:12 PM
No GPS means it will not show your speed which means no proof in court or for insurance if you get a ticket you disagree with.
Just a thought

Makes sense in that application. I believe the Next Base 333 and up has the gos function.

flyrodfisher
01-11-2022, 10:04 PM
You can pay for a ticket to be reviewed, but you don't get to appear before a judge in a court of law.

Whether you appear in front of an adjudicator or a judge...you still have the right to defend yourself.

BTW...I don't agree with the new law either...as I stated in the other thread...if they do this and you are found innocent, they should refund your money AND pay you damages.

58thecat
01-11-2022, 10:22 PM
Don’t need sensors nor cams, been driving for 40 years and never needed them then nor now.
But buy a new ride now a days and it’s almost standard equipment not too long until cams will be too.
Oh well sign of the times.

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2022, 09:01 AM
Don’t need sensors nor cams, been driving for 40 years and never needed them then nor now.
But buy a new ride now a days and it’s almost standard equipment not too long until cams will be too.
Oh well sign of the times.

Couple interesting points.

New ford trucks have half a dozen cameras surrounding the truck, as do many new higher end vehicles now. I spoke to several at ford, told them they should incorporate a solid state hard drive and a motion sensor, which would give them 360 degree security cameras. 0 interest. They must want to sell body parts or new vehicles rather than catch people. Go figure.

I am the same, 40 years this year. Trouble is it is not me I am worried about, it is the other guy that fabricates a better story after the fact that costs me money when he runs into me.

I will not drive without a dash cam with the entitled distracted idiots on the roads.

wallz
01-12-2022, 11:29 AM
I stood the same on them, no need, not required, until last year.

I got rear ended, and a passing motorist had it on dash cam. The problem was he thought I was in the wrong at changing lanes too close, and causing the vehicle behind me to smack me. Stopped to yell at me and let the driver that hit me know he had it on camera, and would provide it.

Turns out the dash cam footage proved I was in the right, and at no fault.

After the vehicle was fixed, I ordered and installed the thinkware cameras, front and back. Too many hit and runs in this town, and I've been hit 4 or 5 times, and luckily had some witnesses to most, but not all them. Happening in parking lots, and people just drive away. Now they are being recorded.

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2022, 11:43 AM
good reply

nothing is needed until too late lol

It is good it worked out in your favor.

The reason I insisted on cams was my son. He was driving in LLoydminster limits, an idiot too impatient to wait for someone turning off took his lane oncoming and he took the ditch to avoid a head on. Someone got it on dashcam. He was pulled out of the ditch by the guy that caught it. We went back to town that day and bought cams for everyone.

I am a fan of proactive as opposed to reactive.

My incident proved that.

Cross Eyed Cowboy
01-12-2022, 04:51 PM
Soon enough you will see them as standard equipment in North American vehicles. First phase will be in the upscale portion of the market then trickle down to all vehicles.
The North American auto industry is slow to react to new technology, just look at how long it took them to make remote starters standard in the majority of vehicles.
My understanding is that in the US there is substantial efforts going on by the insurance industry to lobby and pressure automakers to make dashcams standard equipment on all vehicles produced in the US.

ak77
01-12-2022, 05:37 PM
I am on the lookout for the 3 channel low profile/no display, with WiFi dashcam, with usual other features (gps, shock sensors, wide angle, high resolution, hardwire option).
I have seen a few of those with 2 out of 3 features, but haven't found exactly what I wanted. If anyone has a lead on one please share.

58thecat
01-13-2022, 06:59 AM
Couple interesting points.

New ford trucks have half a dozen cameras surrounding the truck, as do many new higher end vehicles now. I spoke to several at ford, told them they should incorporate a solid state hard drive and a motion sensor, which would give them 360 degree security cameras. 0 interest. They must want to sell body parts or new vehicles rather than catch people. Go figure.

I am the same, 40 years this year. Trouble is it is not me I am worried about, it is the other guy that fabricates a better story after the fact that costs me money when he runs into me.

I will not drive without a dash cam with the entitled distracted idiots on the roads.

I am going to dread buying my next vehicle, in 2010 I bought my f-150 and told the sales fella don’t need this and don’t need that well they come with some stuff like you mentioned standard, satellite radio...huh......just AM please and carry on soooo we drove it around and we settled on a price now we jump into it and put it in reverse....first time...wtf...a little tv pops into the rear view mirror...into the dealership I go and he says it is standard....I said I loose have my view backing up and if this thingy goes tits up then what?

Regarding the cams you mention I guess if you live in a heavier populated zoo and the crazies are out and about then I guess so....hate going to town let alone a big city seems every mile or so someone pulls a wanker move and everyone has a crotch fetish cuz at every light they stare down:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken you should send up a few drones to pick off these pecker heads:)