PDA

View Full Version : Back Salmon Fishing Trip

Sundancefisher
09-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow. We had a blast again this year. 35 people bobbing on the ocean looking for fish. I brought 140 lbs back...my buddy brought back close to 400 lbs. Good thing fish are tasty. Gotta love the fight of a Chinook. The big halis however are a bit of a workout exercise.

In one afternoon we caught over 12 halis over 30 lbs...8 of which were close to or over 100 lbs. We lost a monster below the boat and in the end was very happy with the trip.

I hooked into a 500 lb salmon shark and fought it without a steel leader for 45 minutes before the knot broke. I had maximum bend and tension on a salmon rod with 25 lb test for the 45 minutes. My arms were toast for a couple hours after that. We almost had him in. Only 40 feet left to pull in. We also had sharks circling the boat while fishing. Cool yet eerie at the same time.

I can hardly wait till next year!

Well...once i have the pictures loaded I will post a few!

Cheers

Sun

WayneChristie
09-05-2009, 08:33 PM
sounds like a lot of fun, too bad about the shark, I had something like that on off the fishing pier at Campbell River once for almost 2 hours before it broke me off, was worth the sore arms tho!!! looking forward to seeing your pics!

blackpheasant
09-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a blast, where were you guys ??

Sundancefisher
09-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I organize two trips a year for our works social club. This year was at Langara Fishing Lodge. I can't think of one thing bad to say about that shop.

Cheers

Sun

DarkAisling
09-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Awesome. Can't wait to see some pics!

Sundancefisher
09-06-2009, 09:40 AM
What was also interesting was that Bob Izumi was out shooting a show with Langara Island Lodge. They took video of our boat but never got to meet him unfortunately.

I am working on the photos now.

Cheers

Sun

Sundancefisher
09-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Here are some pics

Sundancefisher
09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
our big hali...buddy caught it ::cry:

There is also a picture of a 18 pound sculpin called a cabezon. Cool fish with blue mouth and blue flesh. Good eating.

Geezle
09-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Awesome pics! I'd love to get out on a big trip like that someday :cool:

DarkAisling
09-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Great pics :) Nice to see you with something you caught other than an perch ;)

I had a look at the lodge's website last night . . . out of my budget at present. Maybe someday!

plinker
09-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Wow, thanks for sharing. Those look great and it looks like you guys had a blast.

Sundancefisher
09-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Great pics :) Nice to see you with something you caught other than an perch ;)

I had a look at the lodge's website last night . . . out of my budget at present. Maybe someday!

Ya... definitely a full frills lodge. We are spoiled rotten on food, service, location etc. We save big on having a charter flight and not flying through Vancouver plus since we are booking 100 spots a year we have a significant group discount. Anyone interested in 2010 just PM me your email address and I will forward the details. I am not supposed to post on the web as the price is LOW. I have to see how many returns I have but if I have any spots I will certainly let my AOF friends come!

Cheers

Sun