PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive everyday knife

tikka250
01-11-2022, 02:09 PM
So I work at a ranch/feedlot and my pocket knife is a permanent fixture in my everyday life. Curently I'm using a broken tipped buck that I have reground to a drop point but it's coming to the end of its life with lost screws and bent belt clip so it's time to find a new one.
With the constant use and abuse I have discovered that pricey knives are not possible as they get broken or lost in the everyday gongshow that is working cows.
So if you were tasked on finding a sub $50 folder with a belt clip to use for everything from opening boxes to skinning calves what would you choose?

The Flint&Fly Guy
01-11-2022, 02:12 PM
I’m a huge fan of expensive knives, but in your situation an Ontario RAT 1 or 2 is about as good as they get, might be more like 50-60 though

1shotwade
01-11-2022, 02:14 PM
This is what I carry. Blades are cheap survived a year and i do the same as you lol. Plus its easy to find when you drop it! Its a outdoor edge edc light!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220111/2feb77004e1f63a78f597157a62e8064.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220111/9ec0a7bd291d06be7b128b824c3059a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

npauls
01-11-2022, 02:23 PM
There is a buck knife at canadian tire for $49.99 called the kingsmen. It regularly goes on sale for $14.99. It has been a very good little pocket knife for myself and many others that I know.
When they go on sale, buy 4 or 5 of them and you should be good for a very long time.

EZM
01-11-2022, 03:15 PM
Gerber Paraframe - These were on sale a few years ago at Cabela's and picked up a few mini's and 2 of the normal sized ones for the truck glove box, wife's suv etc... and have been happy with them.

Easy to sharpen, has a good grip with the cutouts, I won't cry if I loose them and quite durable actually. I am very happy with these ...

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/73845/gerber-paraframe-fine-edge-knives

StiksnStrings
01-11-2022, 04:04 PM
I'll second the Buck Kingsman. Had one as my EDC for several years now, holds an edge well for what it is and I'm hard on it. FYI, it is discontinued but, some CT stores still have stock $14.99. I just picked up two more.

thumper
01-11-2022, 04:22 PM
Consider getting a traditional Stockman's knife, that respects generations of ranchers. Most, like Buck's are relatively inexpensive, but are solid, proven tools for your trade. "The Stockman knife is a traditional slip joint that has double ends. Most have three blades and two springs inside that help the blade stay closed or open. Each blade on a Stockman traditional knife has a different use. Clip point for everyday tasks like cutting food, sheepsfoot for push cutting and sawing, and a spey blade for cutting flesh."

bsmitty27
01-11-2022, 04:30 PM
Ontario Rat 1 for a little more you can get it in D2.
Mine takes a beating, Its my mulit tool.

tikka250
01-11-2022, 04:42 PM
Consider getting a traditional Stockman's knife, that respects generations of ranchers. Most, like Buck's are relatively inexpensive, but are solid, proven tools for your trade. "The Stockman knife is a traditional slip joint that has double ends. Most have three blades and two springs inside that help the blade stay closed or open. Each blade on a Stockman traditional knife has a different use. Clip point for everyday tasks like cutting food, sheepsfoot for push cutting and sawing, and a spey blade for cutting flesh."

As nice as the stockman's knife is for use it does not have a belt clip and is not a great one handed opening knife which are both essential in my books.
Quick easy access is quite important for me as often I'm already holding onto something with one hand when the knife comes out.

stob
01-11-2022, 05:19 PM
Schrade Uncle Henry Bear Paw Folder.. love the brass ... takes abuse with a :)

lyallpeder
01-11-2022, 07:26 PM
I had one of these for many years. It grew legs and walked away.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/73845/gerber-paraframe-fine-edge-knives

Now I have one of these and I’m happy with it although I don’t use it really hard.

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/knives/folding/air-ranger-black-g-10-31-002950

ghfalls
01-11-2022, 08:24 PM
At cabella’s they sell a buck 110 slim. Awesome knife. Light. Pocket clip. Good blade. Affordable. Won’t be disappointed

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/151952/buck-110-slim-select-folding-knife

creeky
01-11-2022, 09:16 PM
So I work at a ranch/feedlot and my pocket knife is a permanent fixture in my everyday life. Curently I'm using a broken tipped buck that I have reground to a drop point but it's coming to the end of its life with lost screws and bent belt clip so it's time to find a new one.
With the constant use and abuse I have discovered that pricey knives are not possible as they get broken or lost in the everyday gongshow that is working cows.
So if you were tasked on finding a sub $50 folder with a belt clip to use for everything from opening boxes to skinning calves what would you choose?

Mora.

Creeky....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tikka250
01-11-2022, 10:31 PM
Mora.

Creeky....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the opposite of what I'm looking for? I'm looking for a belt clip folder not a fixed blade.

Scott N
01-12-2022, 03:59 AM
I was also looking for a EDC for my job, which involves opening a lot of boxes some days, but was worried about losing it or damaging it. I kept reading about the Civivi Elementum and how it is in the running for the "best bang for the buck" type of category with quite a number of people.

They are a bit more money than your $50 budget, but not much more... you can find the models with G10 scales for about $69, with a lot of color options and also available with other scale materials like Micarta, carbon fiber, a variety of woods, etc. but the G10 model is the least expensive. The Elementum is a flipper knife with a clip, so one handed use is easy.

It's light weight, D2 steel, and for me it's a perfect size for my intended use. It might be worth looking at even though it's a bit more than your intended budget.

rccam1
01-12-2022, 05:50 AM
Are Buck knives not warrantied for life? Send it back and they will probably replace yours.

creeky
01-12-2022, 07:29 AM
So the opposite of what I'm looking for? I'm looking for a belt clip folder not a fixed blade.

It does say "folder" in there, my bad,

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Husty
01-12-2022, 07:30 AM
This is what I carry. Blades are cheap survived a year and i do the same as you lol. Plus its easy to find when you drop it! Its a outdoor edge edc light!!

Got one of these for Christmas, so far I like it. Usually carry around a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian ($160+ Knife), which is a great knife if you never plan on losing it.

graybeard
01-12-2022, 09:12 AM
I would look hard at the wide line of Leatherman.

Kijiji is full of used ones at great prices. Here is the kicker, they have a 25 year lifetime warranty here in Canada and you do not have to show any receipt...

Some have a pocket clip some have a sheath and some nothing.

As the primary owner, if you damage your knife or buy a damaged knife, simply mail your damaged knife in to Leatherman Canada and in 10 days you have a new one in your mailbox.

The warranty is on line...

https://www.leatherman.com/en_CA/customerservice-warranty.html

Good luck,

Dean2
01-12-2022, 10:52 AM
At cabella’s they sell a buck 110 slim. Awesome knife. Light. Pocket clip. Good blade. Affordable. Won’t be disappointed

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/151952/buck-110-slim-select-folding-knife

Agreed. Buck is hard to beat for the intended use. Your existing knife is covered by Buck's forever warranty. You may want to look into shipping it to Buck.

https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/bucks-forever-warranty/

tikka250
01-12-2022, 11:05 AM
I would look hard at the wide line of Leatherman.

Kijiji is full of used ones at great prices. Here is the kicker, they have a 25 year lifetime warranty here in Canada and you do not have to show any receipt...

Some have a pocket clip some have a sheath and some nothing.

As the primary owner, if you damage your knife or buy a damaged knife, simply mail your damaged knife in to Leatherman Canada and in 10 days you have a new one in your mailbox.

The warranty is on line...

https://www.leatherman.com/en_CA/customerservice-warranty.html

Good luck,

I carried my Leatherman wave for quite a while and although I used it quite often I also misplaced/dropped/lost it a lot. Something about what I wear and the way I work has a tendency to grab at things on my belt and stuff to bounce out of sheaths so although it still gets used I only bring it for certain projects.

tikka250
01-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Agreed. Buck is hard to beat for the intended use. Your existing knife is covered by Buck's forever warranty. You may want to look into shipping it to Buck.

https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/bucks-forever-warranty/

Might have to give that a try and see what happens.

NCC
01-12-2022, 12:50 PM
Case now makes a knife with clip and thumb stud for one handed opening. You'll have to increase your budget but they are a good knife.

I wouldn't pay $5 for any of the Buck, Schrade, Kershaw or Old Timer knives that are made in China. I find that the metal is so soft that the knife is dull after cutting the twine off of a few bales. The Case knives will last a couple of weeks performing the same tasks.

For whatever reason, my gait causes belt clip knives to work themselves out of my pocket. I thought I was just leaving them somewhere until I found one in the middle of the path where I had just walked and started paying attention to what was happening.

graybeard
01-12-2022, 01:11 PM

Spyderco Tenacious has a lot of cutting edge, decent steel (not super steel), one hand access, pocket clip and now on sale.....other than not under $50, but close, they are reliable....I am currently carrying one as my EDC...

https://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Spyderco/Spyderco_Tenacious_Plain_Edge_Folding_Knife

https://houseofknives.ca/spyderco-tenacious-black-g10-c122gp/

Just google Spydero Tenacious and a couple of other knife places have them on sale as well.....

tikka250
01-12-2022, 01:36 PM
For whatever reason, my gait causes belt clip knives to work themselves out of my pocket. I thought I was just leaving them somewhere until I found one in the middle of the path where I had just walked and started paying attention to what was happening.

That's super interesting. I can do the same with sheathed tools. From jumping pannels riding quads and everyday running around I can lose anything. I even managed to drop a pair of custom leather sheathed fencing pliers!

graybeard
01-12-2022, 01:50 PM
That's super interesting. I can do the same with sheathed tools. From jumping pannels riding quads and everyday running around I can lose anything. I even managed to drop a pair of custom leather sheathed fencing pliers!

For your exact reasoning, my knife is carried in my front pocket.

The knife is the only thing in that particular pocket for easy access and no obstructions.

mrcrossbow
01-12-2022, 02:10 PM
i use a Byrd morning lark. the caracara is a bit bigger, there the cheaper spyderco knifes. there right in your budget. 40 to 50 bucks. warriorsandwonders sells them about a week to ship to alberta. i like them because of the spider hole,( one hand opening ) comes in handy when one hand is holding something but you got to cut the twine holding it. easy to take apart to clean. and they use a lock back so can close one handed also. they come with a belt clip that can be tip up or tip down, left or right side. the steel holds a good edge. been useing mine for years and no sign of wearing out. i use mine a fair bit on card board and bailing twine when feeding horses. skined out a few deer with it also.

russ
01-12-2022, 06:19 PM
Just curious, why not a non-folding? The mora's come with a belt loop plastic sheath and lose cheap, around $20. We sell quite a few to farmer/ranchers for cutting bale twine. We do keep some cheap folders but they're cheap folders.

daveyn
01-12-2022, 08:24 PM
Another vote for the mini grip, over budget but a really nice edc. Also a big fan of the leatherman Wave. I have one in the truck, one in my backpack and one on the ATV and use them constantly. YOu would think the little pair of scissors is kind of useless but I use that thing way more than the knife parts.
Should be able to pick one up on Kijiji or Marketplace for under $100.

tikka250
01-12-2022, 09:39 PM
Just curious, why not a non-folding? The mora's come with a belt loop plastic sheath and lose cheap, around $20. We sell quite a few to farmer/ranchers for cutting bale twine. We do keep some cheap folders but they're cheap folders.

As I stated in a comment above. Belt knives catch on way too much in my day to day work and get lost and forgotten. A belt clip knife is never in the way and is always in the exact same spot when I need it and can have it open and in my hand at a moment's notice without even thinking. In my bale tractor I keep knives for twine and netwrap which is a whole different purpose.

tikka250
01-12-2022, 09:40 PM
Another vote for the mini grip, over budget but a really nice edc. Also a big fan of the leatherman Wave. I have one in the truck, one in my backpack and one on the ATV and use them constantly. YOu would think the little pair of scissors is kind of useless but I use that thing way more than the knife parts.
Should be able to pick one up on Kijiji or Marketplace for under $100.

It's funny I actually have a wave and it does come out from time to time depending on the project but even if I'm wearing the Leatherman I'm lost without a quick to hand belt clip knife.

marlin1
01-12-2022, 11:24 PM
carry the buck bantam , they used to go on sale but now around 40$ . Got a kingsman too as they go on sale for 15-20 . Holding up pretty good as a construction carry and everyday . Bantam is my favourite though EDC clip knife

tikka250
01-13-2022, 12:09 PM
Well after looking at everyone's recommendations I went with an Ontario knife co rat1 and will be sending my broken buck vantage and buck bantam for warranty to see what they can do.