PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Ultralight - Recoil

Munchymoo
01-11-2022, 03:52 PM
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these rifles.
I am wondering what the recoil might be like in the 30-06 or 280AI calibers.
The barrel is threaded but I would prefer no brake if I can get away with it.
I think I would be right around 8lbs with scope, rings, rail, sling.

CNP
01-11-2022, 06:45 PM
It is light. Well under 7# with a typical 3-10 scope and no sling.

I bet I'd like 165gr bullets for that rifle.

Flatlandliver
01-12-2022, 09:06 AM
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these rifles.
I am wondering what the recoil might be like in the 30-06 or 280AI calibers.
The barrel is threaded but I would prefer no brake if I can get away with it.
I think I would be right around 8lbs with scope, rings, rail, sling.

Although the proof barrel is wicked cool, if I had that budget for a rifle the ultralight wouldn’t be my 1st choice. Not much more $ will get you a significantly higher quality gun. The accustock looks/feels plastic and cheap.
That said, anything “ultralight’ in those calibers will have some felt recoil without a good limbsaver/brake. I have a braked ‘06 now and wish I had one 40 years ago. Not sure why the hate for them. Wear ear protection.

marky_mark
01-12-2022, 09:11 AM
Although the proof barrel is wicked cool, if I had that budget for a rifle the ultralight wouldn’t be my 1st choice. Not much more $ will get you a significantly higher quality gun. The accustock looks/feels plastic and cheap.
That said, anything “ultralight’ in those calibers will have some felt recoil without a good limbsaver/brake. I have a braked ‘06 now and wish I had one 40 years ago. Not sure why the hate for them. Wear ear protection.

Bought a 6.5 creedmoor one of these for my nephew. It’s meh ok. Still the cheapo stock and cheap trigger and cheapo clip.

catnthehat
01-12-2022, 10:31 AM
I am working up loads at the moment for a Savage Ultralite Hunter with a wood stock that I put a 280AI carbon fibre barrel on for an AO member.
Not sure of the weight but the barrel in a 22" IBI and has an IBI brake.
It bucks pretty violently off the bags with a 175 ELDX .
Not sure what it would be like without the brake .:thinking-006:
Shoots and handles excellent offhand at 200 Meters though .
Everything ( dies,1F brass, barrel and rifle) was bought used seperatly and at good prices. It turned out to be a pretty nice rifle all said and done
Cat

Positrac
01-12-2022, 11:14 AM
I’ve handled and shot the off the shelf Savage Ultralight and other than the carbon fibre wrapped barrel it feels cheap to me. At least not what I think a rifle costing that much should feel like. The one I shot was in 30-06 with a brake and it still thumped pretty good.

I wanted a light weight cheap rifle so I bought exactly that in a Savage 110 Storm Lightweight. It weighs less than the Ultralight and is half the price. Ya, it feels cheap, but at $950 out the door it is cheap. Stainless, detachable mag and 5-1/2 pounds. Mine is shooting under an inch at 100yards and offhand it points like a laser. I’m actually getting attached to the fugly little thing.

If a guy wants to spend the money they are asking for the Savage Ultralight I think there are better choices out there.

Faststeel
01-12-2022, 11:23 PM
Bought a 6.5 creedmoor one of these for my nephew. It’s meh ok. Still the cheapo stock and cheap trigger and cheapo clip.

How does it shoot...?

Mb-MBR
01-13-2022, 06:13 AM
I bought one in 280AI and it shoots the factory Hornady ammo(140s, I believe)sub moa. Great rig, I love it, ugly stock and all. They're a little pricey but I don't care how ugly it looks if it shoots like a house on fire.........I never notice recoil in the field so no break required for me.