PDA

View Full Version : trailer brake controllers

Au revoir, Gopher
01-11-2022, 04:49 PM
It has been many years since I pulled a trailer large enough to have brakes. I have been doing some reading to see what has changed. I will summarize what I have learned, please say if you think I have reached any wrong conclusions.

Current requirements are:
- two horse trailer
- quarter horse sized passengers (more likely to be smaller than larger).
- hoping to keep weight of horses and trailer around 5,000 lbs.

It seems that proportional system are preferable over time delay systems. Unless I'm missing something, the biggest advantage that the time based controllers have is cost.

For my personal preference, I think I would prefer an under dash mounted unit with control knob on the dash.

To make installation easier, a unit that doesn't care about its orientation.

I don't think I care about being able to handle more than two axles, simply because if I move into 3 axle territory I also move into need a bigger truck territory.

Likewise, I don't think I care about "user control mode" that one model has. It was described as being good for people pulling trailers off road so they have more control over the braking operations of the trailer. Out of scope for me.

How common are electric over hydraulic brakes? Never heard of them before I started reading about brake controllers.

Are there other "features" on brake controllers that I haven't come across yet?

ARG

Jerry D
01-11-2022, 05:06 PM
Electric over hydraulic brakes are typically on the larger trailers with duallys

I’d take your vehicle into a rv center and have them install a controller.

The newer trucks have factory brake controllers and 100% I would go that route if it’s an option for your vehicle. Costs more but you get excellent control and it’s not this bulky box taking up legroom or anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
01-11-2022, 05:47 PM
Another option for you is a remote that plugs into your cig. lighter/power outlet. The controller mounts on the trailer. No extra wiring in the tow vehicle. Trailer can be pulled with any tow vehicle. I have this setup in the motorhome and it works very good. Fully adjustable and the trailer brakes will still work even if you dont have the remote along---it will just use the settings from the last time it was plugged in.

russ
01-11-2022, 05:48 PM
Electric over hydraulic aren't common for 5000 lb trailers. Most trailers up to 7500 lb axles use electric and pretty reliable. As far as the controller goes, my go to has been the Tekonsha 9030 for nearly 2 decades. Very reliable and pretty common.

schreyer
01-11-2022, 06:10 PM
I use a proportional controller made by Reese. I had it installed by the Hitch House in Edmonton and found them very helpful.

Au revoir, Gopher
01-11-2022, 06:23 PM
Another option for you is a remote that plugs into your cig. lighter/power outlet. The controller mounts on the trailer. No extra wiring in the tow vehicle. Trailer can be pulled with any tow vehicle. I have this setup in the motorhome and it works very good. Fully adjustable and the trailer brakes will still work even if you dont have the remote along---it will just use the settings from the last time it was plugged in.

I saw one of those (Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller I think it was)... didn't look closely at it, I will give it another look. There was also the CURT Echo where the wireless was bluetooth and the remote is an app on your smart phone. Maybe I'm just old and crotchety, but I don't like the idea of my "emergency override" being wireless... and I like the thought of it being bluetooth even less.

The truck has the factory towing package, so wiring up the controller should be "insert TAB A into SLOT B".

ARG

Au revoir, Gopher
01-11-2022, 06:28 PM
Electric over hydraulic brakes are typically on the larger trailers with duallys

Electric over hydraulic aren't common for 5000 lb trailers. Most trailers up to 7500 lb axles use electric and pretty reliable.

Thanks for that. Suspected it was for larger trailers, so unlikely I would see it in a small horse trailer. Goes in the "if I need it, I need a bigger truck" category. :)

ARG

EZM
01-11-2022, 08:18 PM
If you are staying around 5000lbs you have lots of choices and can go with what your budget and comfort zone is but either hydraulic surge or electric are most common.

Electric over hydraulic is not required for that weight. Overkill really. I doubt many trailers that size/capacity even have these installed.

I tow with a half ton - my boat (which loaded is a little under that 5000lb mark) uses the standard hydraulic surge type brakes and have never felt undergunned - even pulling through BC.

My Ford and GMC both had the integrated trailer brake controller - which works with electric trailer brakes as well - I'm guessing most trucks will have the same set up - so you do have some flexibility there.

jcrayford
01-12-2022, 07:19 AM
Ran a cheaper under the dash type when I first bought the 8000# 5th wheel 10 years ago. Could never get the thing set up correctly (could have been user error) so it was either light braking or heavy, hit hard braking.

Bought a Tekonsha P3 (https://www.tekonsha.com/product/90195_trailer-brake-control-proportional) and mounted it myself. Currently on Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/Tekonsha-Electronic-Control-3020-P-Adapter/dp/B072Y2PQ12/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3QJM0IUXOBPUS&keywords=tekonsha+90195&qid=1641997120&sprefix=tekonsha+90195%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-1). Easy to set up and very controllable. Can instantly add boost on the fly if needed (changing trailers) and reset back to 5th wheel mode quickly. Mounted down in a recess under the heater controls, almost completely out of the way. Because of it's construction and function, it can be mounted in almost any orientation.

Not sure if they are still available, they could have been replaced with newer models. But you're correct in thinking to stay away from BT - sometimes hard-wired things bring better piece of mind (at least for my small piece of mind LOL)

I bought mine in Calgary at the Hitch Shop on 42 Ave SE. I think they're still in business?

J.

Savage Bacon
01-12-2022, 07:39 AM
I saw somewhere that they now have stand alone electric brake controllers that mount to the trailer. I'm not sure how well they work but it's an option for a truck that did not come with one factory installed.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk