PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a pup back from the states?

Gun
01-11-2022, 10:07 PM
I spoke w a Canadian border agent yesterday about bringing a pup across. I saw there were some changes starting this year online. The site was just ring around the rosie trying to find details. So I called. Basically I think I'm ok from what he told me as long as I have bill of sale and vet check. If over 3 months needs to have a rabies shot. Bringing her up at 8weeks.

The usual Covid sermon and having to isolate for 2 weeks upon return.

I have a friend that has someone come up from Oklahoma to Whitefish MT once a month for some of his business down there that will bring the pup. He can also come into Canada but I want to go down myself as I think he may have more hassle not being the actual owner.

I do plan to make a follow up call w a few more questions I have since/

I am a dual citizen.

Any one have experience with importing a dog?
Thanks

sns2
01-11-2022, 11:10 PM
Yes, another forum member and I recently did.

It is best if you go down yourself. Vet check with vaccination record within 72 hours of border crossing, a bill of sale so they can charge you gst, and you are good to go.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

outofbounds
01-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Make sure you have proof of purchase/ bill of sale with breeder name on it, we have had CBS run circles trying to question cost of pup.
Have breeder contact info handy, along with bill of sale/contract.
Most times that we brought pups in the CBS called the breeder directly to verify noted bill of sale before proceeding with calc of duty owed.

Other than that no hassle.
No lieniency on the 12 weeks for rabies from listed DOB on breeder forms.
If beyond, ensure vet paperwork is in order.

I am also dual, no matter if paperwork not in order.

We are back and forth with gun dog pups for purchase and training.

M.C. Gusto
01-12-2022, 08:03 AM
I just did this at the end of October. Had to pay for shipping across the border since I couldn’t enter US at the time due to the pandemic.
Bill of sale, first shot, and certificate from the vet that the dog is health and proof of first shot.

Cement Bench
01-12-2022, 09:08 AM
no experience here but offer the following

have the breeder avail to take the call from border services without telling border services they are available

not just on tv but they like to call to confirm details in various cases when a telephone call may remove doubt

also internet sites to show it is a legit breeder may help

not sure just offering suggestions

importers with experience might comment on my thoughts

Pixel Shooter
01-12-2022, 09:29 AM
Bill of sale must show proof of age. Cannot be under 8 weeks. Done this multiple times either flying internationally or picking pup up in Great Falls. All they seem to care about is bill of sale and collecting GST. Never been asked for anything other then bill of sale. Having said that have everything in place in case of need be especially health vet check. Proof of age should be on vet certificate along with shots to date. SNs2 nailed it and just did this

Proof of rabies is no longer a requirement for Cdn border crossing. And no puppy under 4 mths should even have that vaccination

Gun
01-12-2022, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info guys!