PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1885 Falling block

mryimmers
01-12-2022, 05:00 AM
Saw one of these in 45-70 at local store. Any body have any experience with these reproductions? Are they a good quality action? Seemed pretty nice to me.
I did think it was pretty front heavy with the long octagon barrel.

fps plus
01-12-2022, 06:03 AM
I recently replaced a firing pin in one for client . It appears to be fairly well made.

brewster29
01-12-2022, 07:10 AM
Saw one of these in 45-70 at local store. Any body have any experience with these reproductions? Are they a good quality action? Seemed pretty nice to me.

Rifleshootermag has a couple reviews of the Uberti in the long barrel and carbine versions. Both are quite positive...

catnthehat
01-12-2022, 07:15 AM
I owned a Higwhall in 45/700 and one in 40/65, and a friend has a really nice long range rifle in 45/70.
They are well built rifles and accurate.
No,, they are not an MVA, C Sharps or an original Winchester, but they are capable of shooting just as well.
But what do I know, II shoot Savage rifles as well.:thinking-006:
Cat

SakoAlberta
01-12-2022, 12:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFwyj864_I

catnthehat
01-12-2022, 04:57 PM

WAITAMINIT??!! YOU had this commissioned by Uberti??
I was not aware of that!:)
However, to buy one II would have to run into a REALLY good deal, I'm a senior on a fixed income dontchaknow!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

SakoAlberta
01-12-2022, 06:49 PM
WAITAMINIT??!! YOU had this commissioned by Uberti??
I was not aware of that!:)
However, to buy one II would have to run into a REALLY good deal, I'm a senior on a fixed income dontchaknow!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

https://store.prophetriver.com/uberti-303british-courteney-stalking-rifle-a-grade-satin-walnut-checkered-prince-of-wales-grip-stock-and-forend-case-hardened-frame-blued-24barrel-1-10twist-mfg-348751-8030-s-n-s13814/

hogie
01-12-2022, 08:22 PM
Haven't had any experience with Uberti. I do have a Current production Winchester 1885. Fun rifle to shoot. Italian version gets good reviews. Check out Pedersoli , Marstar is a importer with good pricing as well. I believe they are basically same product.

32-40win
01-12-2022, 09:34 PM
https://store.prophetriver.com/uberti-303british-courteney-stalking-rifle-a-grade-satin-walnut-checkered-prince-of-wales-grip-stock-and-forend-case-hardened-frame-blued-24barrel-1-10twist-mfg-348751-8030-s-n-s13814/

Don't forget the CSSA has one up on a raffle;

https://store.cssa-cila.org/shop/cssa-fundraising-draw-1885-courteney-stalking-rifle/

mryimmers
01-13-2022, 03:41 AM

This guy is great!! I agree 100%, rifles, especially ones like that, really should have irons on them. Making it law would be fine with me.
There is a Winchester 1885 in 6.5x55 Swede online I really would be interested in, but it has no irons.
That one in the video looks like a really nice gun.

mryimmers
01-13-2022, 03:45 AM

That's really nice!!

Mavrick
01-13-2022, 07:10 AM
I have a Pedersoli 1874 and am happy with the quality. If I compare it to my Winchester 1885 it might not be quite as good but very close I think. I think the Italian reproduction overall are well made and I’d by another with no problem.

catnthehat
01-13-2022, 09:34 AM
I have a Pedersoli 1874 and am happy with the quality. If I compare it to my Winchester 1885 it might not be quite as good but very close I think. I think the Italian reproduction overall are well made and I’d by another with no problem.

It's no secret that I am a confirmed falling block looney esoecially when it comes to hunting rifles , i have owned probably a 100 of different types or more over the years There are three very big differences between the highwall style rifles and the Sharps styles

The first is the huge hammer on the Sharps, it is much easier to use. But the lock time us also slower.
The second is weight, the Sharps are heavier actions.
The MOST IMPORTANT however, is if using black powder especially , for cleaning .
the Sharps can come apart in seconds with the removal of one pin. Take that cross pin out and the whole internals drop into your hand.
You cannot do that with a Highwall, and many of them no longer have flat springs but twin coils and they can be a bear to work on if one is familiar with them.
That being said, the Uberti in .303 is a gorgeous rifle and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I were looking for another big game rifle:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

Mavrick
01-13-2022, 10:09 AM
I agree on that Uberti, since reading this thread the morning I have had the PR web site up on that gun all morning and I’m trying to talk myself out of it. I was dumb and missed out on the Ruger 303 when they came in and since then wanted a falling block in that caliber. But I also have many hunting guns. :thinking-006:

catnthehat
01-13-2022, 10:19 AM
I agree on that Uberti, since reading this thread the morning I have had the PR web site up on that gun all morning and I’m trying to talk myself out of it. I was dumb and missed out on the Ruger 303 when they came in and since then wanted a falling block in that caliber. But I also have many hunting guns. :thinking-006:

I can sympathize completely, as I have ( as far as I am concerned anyway) the Ruger in .303 that all others are measured against and I still want to drop the hammer on old if those Uberti's! :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Mavrick
01-13-2022, 10:40 AM
To be a bit long winded on this, I also bought a Ruger No.1 in 275 Rigby a few years ago so I’m not without a falling block in and around the 303. It certainly doesn’t have the nice wood like yours and others but I love the gun and the caliber. Hope I’m not derailed your post OP.

catnthehat
01-13-2022, 10:45 AM
To be a bit long winded on this, I also bought a Ruger No.1 in 275 Rigby a few years ago so I’m not without a falling block in and around the 303. It certainly doesn’t have the nice wood like yours and others but I love the gun and the caliber. Hope I’m not derailed your post OP.

derailed? heck that is not even 1/2 MOA of wind as far as some derails and drifts go on these threads! LOL:sHa_sarcasticlol:
I looked at several in 6.5X55, 257Bob and 275 Rigby, butt then I pick up miine in 303 and remember why I don't keep any others too long! :)
Cat

Mavrick
01-13-2022, 10:53 AM
Thanks Cat, enjoyed the conversation on this. I don’t post a lot on here but when your name and a few others come up, I pay attention.

mryimmers
01-13-2022, 05:00 PM

So, you did it?

catnthehat
01-13-2022, 05:35 PM
So, you did it?

Yes, enquiring minds want to know!:medium-smiley-035:
Cat

Mavrick
01-13-2022, 06:54 PM
Not yet, but I notice there was 2 now only one, so I better talk myself into it PDQ. I’m a bit of a western/cowboy gun nut and I had my eye on a 1866 that I want for my collection so :argue2:.

SakoAlberta
01-13-2022, 07:26 PM
Not yet, but I notice there was 2 now only one, so I better talk myself into it PDQ. I’m a bit of a western/cowboy gun nut and I had my eye on a 1866 that I want for my collection so :argue2:.

The one in the link is sold, so, a dead link now. Here is the other:
https://store.prophetriver.com/uberti-303british-courteney-stalking-rifle-a-grade-satin-walnut-checkered-pistol-grip-stock-and-forend-case-hardened-frame-blued-24barrel-1-10twist-mfg-348751-8030-s-n-s13831/

Dean2
01-14-2022, 07:05 AM
The Ubertis are well made guns. I have a replica of the Remington rolling block in 22 Hornet made by Uberti. It will shoot 1/2" no problem. Lots of fun to wack gophers with out to about 300 yards. You will be happy with the 1885, if not they do resell VERY easily.

https://i.imgur.com/LFaavWZ.jpg?1

catnthehat
01-14-2022, 07:58 AM
That roller is nice Dean, but for me what caught my eye is fgae Unertl Programner sitting on top of it!:sHa_shakeshout:
Love those old RTB scopes!
Cat

mryimmers
01-15-2022, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the replies here guys!!! It's been very helpful.
I gotta say I sure like that Uberti 303.

NW Tradegunner
01-15-2022, 06:56 PM
I have one and I like it. I’ve got it shooting 520 grain bullets with black powder fairly accurately at 300 meters.

Fallingblk
01-18-2022, 03:14 PM
New to this site, so firstly saying hello with my first post.

Anyway, just bought an Uberti High Wall 1885 from PR in 45/70 pistol grip and 32" bbl. Had it out twice plinkin' and like it so far. Ordered a Pedersoli LR tang which apparently fits and hope to get into some LR shooting soon.

So hiya, and hope to learn lots here

FB

mryimmers
01-18-2022, 03:30 PM
Hi and welcome to the site, lots of great folks, info and knowledge here, enjoy!!

I've been eyeing up some kind of falling block myself.

Fallingblk
01-18-2022, 03:42 PM
Hi and welcome to the site, lots of great folks, info and knowledge here, enjoy!!

I've been eyeing up some kind of falling block myself.

Hi...

Some of the questions I've had to answer since purchasing this beautiful piece are:

- Finding a rod(s) that will fit into the butt stock compartment and do the job
- Finding the right tang sight for this gun that preferably fits existing holes. Same with a front globe sight apparatus
- Finding another club here in BC where I can shoot long range. Currently a member of a 300 yard range.
- Deciding whether or not I want to take the bp plunge. Factory smokeless in 45/70 is expensive!
- Also, will be looking to try match type competitions at some point down the road

FB

catnthehat
01-18-2022, 04:28 PM
New to this site, so firstly saying hello with my first post.

Anyway, just bought an Uberti High Wall 1885 from PR in 45/70 pistol grip and 32" bbl. Had it out twice plinkin' and like it so far. Ordered a Pedersoli LR tang which apparently fits and hope to get into some LR shooting soon.

So hiya, and hope to learn lots here

FB

Howdy! Where are you located?
Cat

Fallingblk
01-18-2022, 04:30 PM
Howdy! Where are you located?
Cat

Howdy!

Lower Mainland BC

hogie
01-18-2022, 04:41 PM
Hi...

Some of the questions I've had to answer since purchasing this beautiful piece are:

- Finding a rod(s) that will fit into the butt stock compartment and do the job
- Finding the right tang sight for this gun that preferably fits existing holes. Same with a front globe sight apparatus
- Finding another club here in BC where I can shoot long range. Currently a member of a 300 yard range.
- Deciding whether or not I want to take the bp plunge. Factory smokeless in 45/70 is expensive!
- Also, will be looking to try match type competitions at some point down the road

FB

I believe Pedersoli and Uberti are interchangeable for sights. Lee Shaver makes good sights, more money MVA are supposed to be the top of line. Worth getting good sights. I have a Hadley eyepiece on my Shaver sights. Really makes a difference for clarity. They are a quick change aperture.

If you are not reloading then need to start. I don't do blackpowder in mine. I can reload smokeless for about 90 cents a round with 405 gr. Can use cast or Campro for cost. Powder depends on what you want for velocity. Can also use pistol powders as well, lots of data out there. More rounds out with less powder. I don't think blackpowder is much difference cost wise unless you want to get into casting.

My costs are figured out using current prices for components. Using 33.5 gr of IMR 4198, which is trapdoor load. Going with 10 firing on cases for cost.

Enjoy the rifle, they are fun to shoot.

Fallingblk
01-18-2022, 04:51 PM
I believe Pedersoli and Uberti are interchangeable for sights. Lee Shaver makes good sights, more money MVA are supposed to be the top of line. Worth getting good sights. I have a Hadley eyepiece on my Shaver sights. Really makes a difference for clarity. They are a quick change aperture.

If you are not reloading then need to start. I don't do blackpowder in mine. I can reload smokeless for about 90 cents a round with 405 gr. Can use cast or Campro for cost. Powder depends on what you want for velocity. Can also use pistol powders as well, lots of data out there. More rounds out with less powder. I don't think blackpowder is much difference cost wise unless you want to get into casting.

My costs are figured out using current prices for components. Using 33.5 gr of IMR 4198, which is trapdoor load. Going with 10 firing on cases for cost.

Enjoy the rifle, they are fun to shoot.

Yes, ordered the Pedersoli LR Creedmore sight which apparently fits. Now deciding whether I’ll need a spirit level globe front with windage adj. If I like the LR sport I’ll have to consider a Shiloh or CSharps down the road with a more expensive sight. Although I’ve owned handguns for many years I’m a relative newb to long guns - have owned a few levers. Full disclosure…hand loading is a bit intimidating.

Have family in Calgary so please don’t hold the BC thing against me ;-)

catnthehat
01-18-2022, 05:06 PM
I have owned , hunted and competed with black powder cartridge rifles for many years , and oersonally speaking, if you want good accuracy out of them, hand loafing is the way to go.
It doesn't have to be as complicated as many make it out to be though, attention to the basics is what counts:)
Cat

Fallingblk
01-18-2022, 05:11 PM
I have owned , hunted and competed with black powder cartridge rifles for many years , and oersonally speaking, if you want good accuracy out of them, hand loafing is the way to go.
It doesn't have to be as complicated as many make it out to be though, attention to the basics is what counts:)
Cat

Well, when I told the wife I was thinking of hand loading she asked if we could update the wills.

Mavrick
01-18-2022, 05:12 PM
I went with the Pedersoli rear sight on my 1874, my big mistake. Thought I could save a few bucks but not happy at all with it. Every shot is a re-setting nightmare. In my opinion go to MVA and get their sights, a buddy went that way and compared to mine, well again big mistake. My 2 cents anyway.

Fallingblk
01-18-2022, 05:16 PM
I went with the Pedersoli rear sight on my 1874, my big mistake. Thought I could save a few bucks but not happy at all with it. Every shot is a re-setting nightmare. In my opinion go to MVA and get their sights, a buddy went that way and compared to mine, well again big mistake. My 2 cents anyway.

Ouch, that doesn’t sound good. Btw, do you use a Ballistics calculator app e.g. Hornady

Also, suggestions for a decent lr spotting scope that won’t break the bank?

Mavrick
01-18-2022, 05:39 PM
No to be honest I just got into over the last year, my buddy has been doing this for a number of years and got me into it. I’m still kind of learning the “math” if you will. I’m at this point shooting out to 500 well, and a few hits be on, but I tell you, old quigley may make it look easy but at times I want to use my gun as a crow bar, except it’s not the gun. The sight part has been frustrating, he has been helping but even with experience he can’t get it right. This year I’m going to cut my losses and get a better sight. We are not competition shooter ( he use to be in the states) we just have a group of want to be Quidleys and shoot at each other’s farms for fun. You’ll love it, most fun I’ve had shooting in years.

catnthehat
01-18-2022, 05:48 PM
Maverick, what do you mean when you say " resetting nightmare"?
I have a Pedersoli Soule style sight on my 1874 in 40/65 , and have no issues with it :confused:
Cat

Fallingblk
01-18-2022, 05:59 PM
No to be honest I just got into over the last year, my buddy has been doing this for a number of years and got me into it. I’m still kind of learning the “math” if you will. I’m at this point shooting out to 500 well, and a few hits be on, but I tell you, old quigley may make it look easy but at times I want to use my gun as a crow bar, except it’s not the gun. The sight part has been frustrating, he has been helping but even with experience he can’t get it right. This year I’m going to cut my losses and get a better sight. We are not competition shooter ( he use to be in the states) we just have a group of want to be Quidleys and shoot at each other’s farms for fun. You’ll love it, most fun I’ve had shooting in years.

Yes, really looking forward to it. Simple plinking with a handgun wears thin over the years, love to lean new stuff and this has my juices flowing again.

Mavrick
01-18-2022, 07:26 PM
Maverick, what do you mean when you say " resetting nightmare"?
I have a Pedersoli Soule style sight on my 1874 in 40/65 , and have no issues with it :confused:
Cat

Well to be fair and I should have said this in the first post, I probably got a bad one. The windage setting seem very rough when moving it from the beginning, I bought it off of a gun store in Ontario and call them but didn’t get much information.( help). I should have sent it back at the time but was excited to get shooting and thought it would be ok. The more I used it the looser it became to the point it would not hold, that been the re-setting part. I recontacted them but at that point they told me to send it to Pedersoli?
So I thought Instead of trying to go through all that I’d just move on. I am very impressed with the MVA that my buddy has, it just seems to be a better refined sight, and I’d rather have that one anyway. So probably can’t fault the sight, maybe more me not taken care of the problem in the beginning.

catnthehat
01-18-2022, 07:35 PM
Do you think it can be fixed?
Cat

Fallingblk
01-18-2022, 07:49 PM
Well to be fair and I should have said this in the first post, I probably got a bad one. The windage setting seem very rough when moving it from the beginning, I bought it off of a gun store in Ontario and call them but didn’t get much information.( help). I should have sent it back at the time but was excited to get shooting and thought it would be ok. The more I used it the looser it became to the point it would not hold, that been the re-setting part. I recontacted them but at that point they told me to send it to Pedersoli?
So I thought Instead of trying to go through all that I’d just move on. I am very impressed with the MVA that my buddy has, it just seems to be a better refined sight, and I’d rather have that one anyway. So probably can’t fault the sight, maybe more me not taken care of the problem in the beginning.

What MVA sight does your buddy have?

Mavrick
01-18-2022, 07:51 PM
Thanks Cat for the PM, a shout out to this good man.

Fallingblk
01-18-2022, 08:16 PM

That's something I forgot to mention. I was surprised that my Uberti 45/70 had less recoil than my 30-30 28" lever. Has to be that long heavy bbl and high wall case hardening. Weighs in at 10 lbs.

Mavrick
01-18-2022, 08:25 PM
What MVA sight does your buddy have?

Not exactly sure what model MVA soule sight he has, it’s a sight kit( box with front sight aperture cards etc) he is from Arizona originally and competed in his younger days. Way over my talent, but said he was fair compared to others down there. He suggested I look at a mid range sight for what we do, or maybe his just trying to tell me that’s the talent I have.:)

NW Tradegunner
01-19-2022, 04:54 PM
The rear vernier sight I got from Gunworks down in Oregon. It’s the mid range one from Pedersoli. No issues whatsoever! The front sight is from Track of the Wolf. It’s a Lyman product and is the metric model and comes with inserts. Lee Shaver has finer insert sets; laser printed for precision shooting.

Fallingblk
01-19-2022, 06:56 PM
The rear vernier sight I got from Gunworks down in Oregon. It’s the mid range one from Pedersoli. No issues whatsoever! The front sight is from Track of the Wolf. It’s a Lyman product and is the metric model and comes with inserts. Lee Shaver has finer insert sets; laser printed for precision shooting.

Do you use a Hadley Cup?

mryimmers
03-31-2022, 07:03 PM
I can sympathize completely, as I have ( as far as I am concerned anyway) the Ruger in .303 that all others are measured against and I still want to drop the hammer on old if those Uberti's! :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Well I finally did it!!

catnthehat
04-01-2022, 07:47 AM
Well I finally did it!!

We need a range report with pics now!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

mryimmers
04-01-2022, 07:55 AM
We need a range report with pics now!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

Should be shipped today.

Now gotta find factory ammo or components, wish me luck....