View Full Version : Puppy needs to be spayed,in Calgary

tallieho
01-12-2022, 03:58 PM
1ST Quote was $350.00.pup is 5months old,20 lbs rec please

colvert
01-12-2022, 04:48 PM
1ST Quote was $350.00.pup is 5months old,20 lbs rec please
Yes, shop around for quotes because cost could be +/- $2-300

Maybe check these guys, not a fancy practice but they did a good job on my adult Brittany, 5 years ago for $250 plus $75 blood work.

http://www.spayneutercalgary.ca/ deerfootspayneuter@gmail.com

kinwahkly
01-12-2022, 06:09 PM
That's seems like a reasonable price.

ward
01-12-2022, 08:48 PM
That's seems like a reasonable price.

Yes it does. And not a procedure where I would look for a cheap option.

CaberTosser
01-12-2022, 08:59 PM
Give Canyon Meadows Vet Clinic a call to check.

mmmtracksoup
01-13-2022, 06:44 AM
There is a line of thought that spaying should be delayed until the after the first heat cycle. Those hormones are there for a reason. Do your own research.

sewerrat
01-13-2022, 07:59 AM
If you can not afford $350 for a dog to be spayed I wonder if you can afford a dog at all?

Just saying.

Parker Hale
01-13-2022, 08:35 AM
The Calgary Spay and Neuter Clinic.
http://calgaryspayandneuter.ca/

tallieho
01-13-2022, 10:51 AM
thanks got a call into calgary spay nueter clinic $ 790.00 was the quote that started ,this query

tallieho
01-13-2022, 10:52 AM
thanks got a call into calgary spay nueter clinic $ 790.00 was the quote that started ,this query.My concern down the road.Is this a result of the WCA Group

tallieho
01-13-2022, 10:53 AM
The Calgary Spay and Neuter Clinic.
http://calgaryspayandneuter.ca/

Thanks for all the help

Parker Hale
01-13-2022, 11:13 AM
thanks got a call into calgary spay nueter clinic $ 790.00 was the quote that started ,this query

My regular vet in Kensington quoted me almost $700 for my husky to be spayed, the spay/neuter clinic came in at less than half that and they did a great job.

Savage Bacon
01-13-2022, 11:55 AM
Is neutering the same price? Are you paying for the outcome, or the actual time that goes into the procedure? We have a male puppy that has to get fixed.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

urban rednek
01-13-2022, 12:09 PM
Pet parents have taught the vets in Calgary that nothing is too good for their fur babies, so they charge accordingly.
Many normal pet owners have a local vet for regular visits, but leave the city for scheduled (non-emergency) surgeries. I've heard lots of good things about the vets in Cochrane and High River.

ETA- Neutering is much simpler than an invasive surgery like spaying. Should be a lot less dineros.

kujoseto
01-15-2022, 10:59 PM
There is a line of thought that spaying should be delayed until the after the first heat cycle. Those hormones are there for a reason. Do your own research.

I’d like to hear more on this. The vet near me said they won’t spay ours before 6 months and later than 12. Figured by 7 the first cycle would happen.
I have no idea what is better but if waiting for that first cycle is the way to go then that would change what I initially intended to do.

Thanks

Davey Boy
01-16-2022, 10:06 AM
Try the vet clinic in Carstairs. 1 hr. away and was so much cheaper than Calgary. $1200 for pulling a mouth full of bad teeth whereas Calgary was $3500-$4000. Not sure about what you want but worth a phone call.

mmmtracksoup
01-16-2022, 11:01 AM
I’d like to hear more on this. The vet near me said they won’t spay ours before 6 months and later than 12. Figured by 7 the first cycle would happen.
I have no idea what is better but if waiting for that first cycle is the way to go then that would change what I initially intended to do.

Thanks

From AKC website:
Often, the spay and neuter take place at a very young age for pets, at four to six months. However, studies have shown that this may not be the best age to spay or neuter your dog. The relationship between sex hormones and canine health was not well-considered and understood decades ago when the early spay/neuter campaigns were started. Today, we are discovering that possibly some of those decisions may have affected the health of some dogs.

Research conducted by the University of California – Davis reveals that for some dog breeds, neutering and spaying may be associated with the increased risks of certain health conditions such as joint disorders including hip or elbow dysplasia, cranial cruciate rupture or tear, and some cancers, such as lymphoma, mast cell tumor, hemangiosarcoma, and osteosarcoma. The research conclusions are not surprising. Sex hormones are important in the development of any animal. We know they affect psychological development as well as the musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, and the immune system.

Interestingly though, different breeds and different sized dogs mature at different ages, which means that early spay/neuter may not be bad for all dogs. The wide margin of maturation of dogs varies considerably, as toy breed dogs mature sexually as early as six to nine months of age whereas large and giant breeds may mature as late as 16-18 months of age. The end conclusion is that generally, the larger breeds had possibly more to risk in future health conditions in than small or toy breeds of dogs due to early spaying or neutering since they mature at a later age.

densa44
01-16-2022, 11:13 AM
5 months old is pretty young, did the Vets say that was O.K.
In my case Sienna is a full time hunting dog who has had 2 litters. I have seen some very sad results of this surgery in the past (belly hanging down) and didn't want that for my best friend.
I had the surgery done by the Vet in Silver springs calgary and the dog looks and is great.
I don't remember the cost.