PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot

PaintearthCounty
01-12-2022, 07:51 PM
I’m 67 , and have been advised to get a flu shot , I have never had the flu shot ever , hear from people how crappy they felt for weeks after getting the shot , what are your thoughts

Bergerboy
01-12-2022, 08:08 PM
Got a seasonal influenza shot every year since 2009. Never once felt any effects.

pikergolf
01-12-2022, 08:11 PM
I got pneumonia in 2008, was recommended to get flu shot and have had it every years since. After effects vary from nothing to sore and tired for a day or two. Have not been really ill with flu since then, a few mild cases.

Cigarguy
01-12-2022, 08:14 PM
I take my folks for flu shots every year for the past 20 years. Most years nothing wrong with them. Some years they might be sore or tired for a day or 2. Even when everyone in the house gets sick from the flu, they still get it but it is very mild compared to the rest of us.

omega50
01-12-2022, 08:18 PM
You may feel this one.

yoteblaster
01-12-2022, 08:33 PM
Have got the shot quite a number of times over the years. Never any ill effects yet

C2C3PO
01-12-2022, 08:48 PM
Ive had the seasonal flu shot for the last 15 years and never felt any side effects like I have with other vaccinations such as Shingrix, etc.

calgarychef
01-12-2022, 09:02 PM
I got the pneumonia vaccine and shingrix at the same time, and that knocked me in my butt. The flu vaccine has never bothered me in the least. If it does bother you it won’t be that bad, you’ll feel tired and worn out for a day or two.

mrcrossbow
01-12-2022, 09:17 PM
i got it 2 months ago, zero side effects.
i get it cause i have a kid in school and he always seems bring home a bug, id rather have a mild flu then full blown wanting to die flu, and the flu hits me harder with my copd, better safe then sorry.
better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Springerman
01-12-2022, 09:17 PM
I have had a flu shot at least for the last 20 years and have never had any adverse effects.

PaintearthCounty
01-12-2022, 09:18 PM
I had no side effects from the vaccines, other than a sore arm for several days

Larry.S
01-12-2022, 09:28 PM
Wife got viral meningitis from the flu a number of years ago. She was laid out for almost two weeks. Thought she was going to meet her maker for a day or two. We make sure we get the shot every year since. Small piece of mind and the symptoms are generally mild as suggested by others. Sore arm, maybe tired for a few days.

waldedw
01-13-2022, 03:26 AM
I have had the flu shot every year since 1995 when I went to work in Central Asia, usually I am tired and draggy for a couple days, this year nothing, maybe it was watered down :thinking-006:

CaberTosser
01-13-2022, 04:37 AM
I’ve only had a couple, I never noticed anything except for the normal slight after-effect of feeling that a needle poked you, only noticeable if you concentrate on it at that. That said, I generally never got the flu much anyways, can’t recall being sick that way for the longest time.

Mb-MBR
01-13-2022, 06:45 AM
I started getting the flu shot 12 years ago to protect my mother, she passed from covid a little over a year ago, but I decided to keep getting it and got it this year with my booster Pfizer shot and never had any side affects.

nimrod
01-13-2022, 07:06 AM
No ill feelings, from any shots this year, flu or covid, good thing Im all vaxed up

Lornce
01-13-2022, 07:12 AM
Have had the flu shot for the last 5 years. Sore arm and a bit tired the next day, Small price to pay in my opinion.

Hoopi
01-13-2022, 08:01 AM
Hi: I got the flu shot a couple of weeks ago. The injection spot was sore for 2 days.

Hoopi

urban rednek
01-13-2022, 08:22 AM
Don't hesitate, get it.
I've been getting the flu shot for 20+ years. I always experience the mild muscle ache at the injection site the next day, feels like a localized bruise. Occasionally I have experienced a day of tiredness and generally lethargy, but I have not had a bad case of the flu in all this time.
If you haven't had one recently, ask your doctor about getting the pneumonia vaccination as well.

sns2
01-13-2022, 08:56 AM
My colleague's brother is an epidemiologist. He told her that all the strains they put in this year's potion was a complete miss, worst he's ever seen. Just thought I'd add this. It happens.

Outbound
01-13-2022, 08:59 AM
Haven't had the flu shot since grade 3. Haven't had the flu since grade 3 either.

urban rednek
01-13-2022, 09:03 AM
My colleague's brother is an epidemiologist. He told her that all the strains they put in this year's potion was a complete miss, worst he's ever seen. Just thought I'd add this. It happens.

For clarification: by "miss", does he mean they created this years vaccine for the wrong strains of influenza that are making the rounds? That's always a bit of a guessing game.
Or, did he mean something else?

Grizzly Adams1
01-13-2022, 09:08 AM
Flu shots are a guess at what the prevalent strain will be that season, based on what shows up in the southern hemisphere , sometimes they get it right, sometimes they don't. I never bother. Sounds like Covid, doesn't it ? :lol:

Grizz

bat119
01-13-2022, 09:10 AM
I get a shot every year since the flu of 98 never had any side effects I suspect the only ones that get side effects are those expecting them.

The flu I had in 1998 was much worse than a poke in the arm.

sns2
01-13-2022, 09:34 AM
For clarification: by "miss", does he mean they created this years vaccine for the wrong strains of influenza that are making the rounds? That's always a bit of a guessing game.
Or, did he mean something else?

The strains of flu going around are not the ones they made the vaccine for. That's what I was told.

Fish along
01-13-2022, 09:35 AM
Ive never had the flu vaccination,and would always get the flu at least once a year,untill about 7 years i started taking one garlic pill per day,and i havent had a flu since,and i have COPD.:)

Sundancefisher
01-13-2022, 01:17 PM
Never been sick after a flu shot. No one in the whole family has ever been sick after a flu shot. Occasionally maybe a bit of soreness around the area.

However that said… nothing stops you from having already contracted a bad flu right at the time you got vaccinated. Also the flu shots protect you from three of the worst variants. Nothing stops you from getting a milder variant.

Talking moose
01-13-2022, 01:33 PM
Haven’t had a cold and had one flu in 20 years. Never had a flu shot. Knock on wood.

Okotok
01-13-2022, 05:34 PM
I've had it a few times when the employer brought them into the office and it was handy. No adverse effects that I can recall. Haven't had the flu in many, many years regardless. On another note, I got my Covid booster shot today. Four more boosters and I get my free pizza!

tri777
01-13-2022, 05:41 PM
Post 2020 & 2021, I find myself mysteriously flu shot hesitant..

geezer55
01-13-2022, 06:59 PM
Since March 2021 I've had 2 Covid shots, the booster shot, flu shot pneumococcal vaccine and my shingles shot. The pneumococcal vaccine made me feel rough that night was good the next day. The shingles shot I had more aches in my shoulder than the others but nothing that was unbearable. One more shingles shot in March then I'll see what the medical people think I should get. The fun of being over 65.

russ
01-14-2022, 03:35 AM
No issues with any of the shots.

icecold
01-14-2022, 04:35 AM
Up to date on all my shots plus some extras my 5g was spotty and needed upgrades. Joking aside I did get a dtap as an extra this year on account of my newborn might as well mitigate his risks. was also told a mmr booster might not be a bad idea on account of my age group never receiving a booster.

Pathfinder76
01-14-2022, 07:17 AM
Haven't had the flu shot since grade 3. Haven't had the flu since grade 3 either.

Same same. I don’t think I’ve ever had the flu.

bat119
01-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Same same. I don’t think I’ve ever had the flu.

It was like getting punched in the face for me, had a few colds maybe a mild flu through life then in 98 I spent a couple weeks in a workcamp, First day out I went on holidays in my truck camper.
Then the flu hit started with a sore throat spread into my lungs, projectile vomiting and the runs at the same time the 50 yard walk to outhouse through pouring rain didn't help. Drove home the next day spent the rest of my holidays shivering under a blanket.

I've got the flu shot ever since, don't ever want go through that again if I can help it.

Fish along
01-14-2022, 09:58 AM
I've had it a few times when the employer brought them into the office and it was handy. No adverse effects that I can recall. Haven't had the flu in many, many years regardless. On another note, I got my Covid booster shot today. Four more boosters and I get my free pizza!

I guess you can buy a shirt for vaccinations now,it has a button up hole where you get the jab lol.:sHa_shakeshout:

ronkaren
01-19-2022, 10:00 PM
no side effects, but everyone is different.

FXSB
01-22-2022, 09:28 PM
I have had one every year since they started. Only effect seems to be hair loss.

graybeard
01-23-2022, 10:48 AM
Fact: The flu shot does not contain an active virus. So, the answer to questions like “Can you get the flu from the flu shot?” “Can the flu shot make you sick?” or “Is the flu vaccine a live virus?” is a definite no.

But for some, the flu shot does come with mild side effects that can easily be mistaken for early flu-like symptoms. The most common flu shot side effects include mild soreness, tenderness or a bit of swelling at the injection site.
You may also run a small fever, or experience slight headaches or muscle aches....

Take a Tylenol before the shot.

On the other hand, many experience no flu shot reactions at all! Plus, a day or two of mild discomfort simply doesn’t compare to what you can experience with a full bout of the flu.

Flu symptom onset is fast and often involves fever, chills, extreme fatigue, muscle aches and more for several days.

https://www.healthpartners.com/blog/flu-shot-myths/

Grizzly Adams1
01-23-2022, 12:46 PM

They seldom get it right, sounds familiar doesn't it ? :D That's why I never bother and I've never had a severe case of the flu.

Grizz

crazynewf
01-23-2022, 12:49 PM
Never had one before? Neither have I - nor will I. Why in the world would you start now after the last 2 years?

Anyone that trusts Pfizer or any manufacturer these days...

Stinky Buffalo
01-23-2022, 06:09 PM
I have gotten the odd one over the years. Usually a sore arm for a bit, maybe some fatigue for a day. Not sure if they helped or not.