PDA

View Full Version : F150 ecoboost exhaust manifold replacement?

camshaft
01-12-2022, 09:22 PM
Anyone have any experience with either a broken bolt or exhaust manifold leak on the eco? During that brutal cold snap over the past few weeks I’ve developed a rattle upon start up that I “think” may be a small exhaust leak on the passenger side manifold. Common problem from what I’ve read.

Why I don’t believe it is the other common issue being timing chain stretch is because I already had that issue fixed under warranty and the noises are slightly different. Timing chain issues on these trucks will rattle immediately upon cold startup due to oil starvation and then quiet down after a few seconds. Mine starts fine, is quiet for about 5-8 seconds, then begins to rattle for a few seconds then quiets down again. I cant seem to hear any squealing, whistling, chirping noise those under load or accel but it’s so hard to tell with all the gravel and wet roads now grrr

I don’t think it is the wastegate on the passenger turbo either. The rear exhaust manifold bolt which usually snaps is still visible from what I can tell. I do however seem to see what appears to be a bit of carbon tracking on the manifold, again making me believe it might have now developed a small leak. In the morning I’m going to spray soapy water around that manifold in hopes that maybe I can see some bubbling.

I know it’s a lengthy job at around 10 hours I hear. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar noise/rattle on the 3.5 and had it turn out to be the manifold?

Truck is a 2013 with only 117km. Looking for any advice or thoughts. Thx :confused:

spirit4u
01-12-2022, 09:37 PM
That is a fairly common repair at the shop I work at. The 3.5 is in a lot of different vehicles. Get a new manifold as the turbo bolts will most likely break off in the manifold. Replace the coolant fittings on the turbo as they like to leak if re-used. Hopefully the broken stud won't be a pain to remove, replace all the studs and nuts with the updated design. I've had to weld a few to get them out. Good luck.

overhere
01-12-2022, 09:41 PM
Ya it's not a fun job , it's worse than the v10 manifolds

HunterDave
01-12-2022, 09:48 PM
In November I received a recall notice for my 2017 F150 with a 3.5 ecoboost wrt a rattle or knocking noise. Check Ford recalls 21B10, 21N03 and 21N08 to see if they apply to your 2013. If you can’t find them on the internet send me a PM and I’ll send you a copy via email.

Hunt4Ever
01-12-2022, 11:35 PM
I have a 2013 Eco too, had a rattle too, easy fix if it’s this
https://youtu.be/ot2xnpVH6H4

wizard1212
01-13-2022, 07:44 AM
I have a 2014 with 245K and just did the drivers side a month ago.
It started as a loud leak at start up and then went away in about 10 seconds. Eventually developed into a whistling sound under hard acceleration.

The hardest part of the job is getting the bolts off the exhaust on the outlet of the turbo. It is tight quarters and everything is pretty snug so using a breaker bar is hard if you don't have a good impact.

The back stud on mine was broke off. Make sure you have a good drill bit and and easy out to get it out. My manifold was also warped so replaced it with a new updated one that has 3 studs surrounding the last exhaust port (much better design). There is already threaded holes in the block to accept new studs for the new design of the manifold. Not sure why they didn't do this from the factory.

There is a really good video on youtube of a passenger side replacement. It was super helpful on what to do. Took me the entire weekend but if I had to do it again I could easily do it in a day.

camshaft
01-13-2022, 08:13 PM
I have a 2013 Eco too, had a rattle too, easy fix if it’s this
https://youtu.be/ot2xnpVH6H4

I wish it was the cause of my rattle. Ironically enough I crawled under and put a hose clamp on as the heat shield was in fact missing the band, but the soapy water test proved I have an exhaust leak at the manifold. I’ve ordered all the parts, fittings ect and will get it done over the next few weeks.

Will report back with results then.