PDA

View Full Version : Crowd in Newell Channel

fishgod
01-14-2022, 12:16 AM
I was out at Newell a few weeks ago in the extreme cold and noticed at least 10 groups of people, with no more than 50' between each of them. This was in the north arm by the town. Just curious what species they're fishing for and any possible reason for not making use of the rest of the huge lake? I feel like they're fighting over the same fish being that close to each other. Can anyone satisfy my curiosity?

I’d rather be outdoors
01-14-2022, 07:06 AM
I was out at Newell a few weeks ago in the extreme cold and noticed at least 10 groups of people, with no more than 50' between each of them. This was in the north arm by the town. Just curious what species they're fishing for and any possible reason for not making use of the rest of the huge lake? I feel like they're fighting over the same fish being that close to each other. Can anyone satisfy my curiosity?

My guess is whitefish but never fished up there.

UngulateMeatEater
01-14-2022, 09:38 AM
Definitely eel!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stob
01-14-2022, 11:03 AM
yup eel and suckers for cat food ... there is no fishable whitefish population in the lake - LOL

npauls
01-14-2022, 04:28 PM
yup eel and suckers for cat food ... there is no fishable whitefish population in the lake - LOL

Newel has a huge whitefish population. They just cruise under the surface around the lake in the deep water. We see huge schools of them in the fall.

Who Da Fisherman
01-14-2022, 06:11 PM
Newel has a huge whitefish population. They just cruise under the surface around the lake in the deep water. We see huge schools of them in the fall.

I have seen those large schools in the fall, pretty cool.
WDF

chucklesthe3rd
01-17-2022, 09:57 PM
The whitefish are real thick in Newell great to see them feeding those monster gators and eyes we get there. Loads of fun to catch them on the fly and light tackle. Used to keep them but recently have been seeing more worms in them than I would like haha.

EZM
01-18-2022, 09:25 AM
People tend to congregate on good spots where there is structure/fish/etc...

They also have a "need" to congregate .... case in point .... we went to a lake we had never fished, 2 vehicles and 2 tents ..... so we just plopped down in a spot we thought might be worth trying and within the hour there were another 4-5 groups surrounding us .... like supposedly we were on some great spot. Turns out the spot sucked and we had to pack up and try another place.

pikergolf
01-18-2022, 05:43 PM
There is a large TFW population in Brooks. These fellows love whitefish. If I had to guess it would be them on a whitefish spot.