PDA

View Full Version : Sleepingbag

mindoutside
01-16-2022, 11:06 AM
Hi all, looking for a good sleeping bag for bivy/hiking style sleeping bag.

Anyone try Teton on Amazon? They are a lot cheaper than some for fancy ones.

Any other suggestions?

icecold
01-16-2022, 11:10 AM
What's your budget and how cold is it going to be when you go?

mrcrossbow
01-16-2022, 03:46 PM
i use a hotcore from cabelas and have been very happy.
use it in my snugpak bivy. its rated to i believe -10 but have used it down to -25 no problems. granted im dressed warm also and have a decent pad under me. r4 rated with i think 3 inchs of hight. a good pad cant not be under estimated in keeping you warm. i also vent the bivy because waking up covered in ice sucks. the bag packs up small. lofts well, is light only i think 3lbs. its been my go to bag. also its not a mummy bag so i can unzip it and use it in summer as a blanket for sleeping and stay a bit cooler. its my year round bag. oh does have a hood so i can cinch it down around my head when its cold.

ehrgeiz
01-16-2022, 05:03 PM
Check out enlightened equipment for a down quilt paired to a thermarest neoair xlite. Hard to beat for warmth to weight. Not cheap but quality, lightweight, cheap do not go together.

I know MEC is taboo to some, but their -7 synth down bags are a reasonable compromise on weight, warm and warranty for the price. Hard to beat.

mindoutside
01-16-2022, 10:01 PM
Doesn't have to be cheap, just want to know that my money goes the mile.

Probably using in September. So probably no colder than -5 camping in southern Alberta. I have a warmer one for base camping already. But it's heavy

marky_mark
01-16-2022, 10:27 PM
Don’t cheap out on a sleeping bag
You will regret it and you will still have to upgrade

Yukongold
01-16-2022, 10:32 PM

If you are looking for a top of the line bag I would check out Kluane Mountaineering in Edmonton. These are individually made bags by hand that are pure quality.

Ormachek
01-17-2022, 07:27 AM
I have a Teton -35? I think. big honking bag i like it. Keeps me warm in the winter. Would cook me from the inside out in the summer though! I also have a Teton backpack, their stuff seems to be pretty decent quality.

nimrod
01-17-2022, 07:33 AM
https://taigaworks.com

great sleeping bags with these guys, but pricey

Esox
01-17-2022, 07:42 AM
I run a kifaru slick bag. I cant say enough good things about it. Only downfall is that its a little bigger/heavier than others as it is synthetic and not down. It still easily fits in to my back country backpacking gear list. The bonus is that its made by an actual hunting company, so you're not supporting a company that doesn't support hunting and fishing.

nimrod
01-17-2022, 08:00 AM
I run a kifaru slick bag. I cant say enough good things about it. Only downfall is that its a little bigger/heavier than others as it is synthetic and not down. It still easily fits in to my back country backpacking gear list. The bonus is that its made by an actual hunting company, so you're not supporting a company that doesn't support hunting and fishing.

Yes I understand your thinking about made by a hunting company , but tiagaworks is made in canada Thats where my money is spent

https://www.taigaworks.com/pages/contact-us

marky_mark
01-17-2022, 08:14 AM
If you are looking for a top of the line bag I would check out Kluane Mountaineering in Edmonton. These are individually made bags by hand that are pure quality.

i might have to go check these guys out!
thanks for posting this

Map Maker
01-17-2022, 10:56 AM

This plus if you take care of it, it will last a loong time.

fishpro
01-17-2022, 06:18 PM
Check out featheredfriends.com. I have nothing but good things to say about the sleeping bag I bought. Also look at sizing from different brands, you'll get the best warmth to weight ratio with something that fits you right.

bdub
01-17-2022, 07:03 PM
For warmth to weight you cannot beat good quality down. The higher the number, the better the quality/loft. A good down bag will also last a lifetime with proper care. I have a late season bag for late October backpack hunts that I still use that is 25+ years old.

If your a cold sleeper add a few degrees to your bags rating. A good pad is almost as important as the bag when temps get down there.

If it gets wet, it looses its insulation value. But I have never got myself into that type of predicament yet, knock on wood. Bag is in a dry stuff/compression sack and if raining or wet bush wacking, it goes in a garbage bag first.

Good luck with your choice. Lots of awesome bags out there to choose from.

fishtank
01-17-2022, 07:41 PM
Surplus Us Army mss ,

mindoutside
01-18-2022, 05:04 PM
Anyone know the lightest bag for -7 comfort rating?

marky_mark
01-18-2022, 08:50 PM
Anyone know the lightest bag for -7 comfort rating?

What’s your budget
I’d say a western mountaineering under 2lbs and about $800 bucks

mindoutside
01-18-2022, 10:38 PM
I would like to keep it under $500. What are the really benefits from an $800 bag vs $500?

Cigarguy
01-18-2022, 10:56 PM
Lighter materials, quality of down, quality of materials, construction quality. Love Western Moutaineering bags. Bought mine over 15 years ago and is still going strong. I use my outdoor gears but also take care of them too.

Lightest doesn't mean much in my books as that usually means less down. Take temp rating with a grain of salt. Difficult to judge temp rating as the environment and the way I feel that night greatly affects how I feel in the bag. To me cold humid climate similar to Vancouver Island sleeps and feel different (colder) in the same bag as high dry alpine environment. Also I'm I tired, cold, fed or drunk when I go to bed also affects it.

For me a -12 deg C bag from a manufacturer I trust and are known to make quality gear is important and I'm willing to pay a bit more. Baffle construction along with, collar/draft tube and zipper tube are a must feature for me. Then there is the quality of down or synthetic insulation. Pay attention to the quantity of insulation they stuff in there. More insulation is heavier and more expensive. For the outer shell fabric, I prefer Gore Dryloft or Pertex. Don't forget about quality zippers, I prefer YKK self healing zippers. Even the stuff sac is important. I prefer sil nylon that weights next to nothing with compression straps to cinch it down. Finally size and shape of the bag. I fit fine into a "normal" bag but if you need a larger bag then more materials equal more money.

All of these little details adds up in terms of cost and weight. But a bag is a long term investment for me. I currently have 10 bags that I consider premium in different temperature ranges that are babied. I also have a couple of cheap car camping bags that gets used abused and are easily disposed of. Besides replacing my car camping bags, I don't ever foresee ever needing another premium backcountry bag.

does it ALL outdoors
01-18-2022, 11:21 PM

This...

One of the guys that comes on our annual Canoe trip has Teton EVERYTHING, we all tease him that he must be sponsored by them.

Teton is very good quality stuff, cant go wrong.

I'll reiterate Marks comment, dont buy the cheapest one you can, thats not where you wanna try and save a buck.

A good, warm, dry sleep is invaluable in the bush.

Ya gota get the good one!

teledogs
01-19-2022, 07:00 AM
This is what I use, great bag.

https://featheredfriends.com/products/feathered-friends-swallow-ul-20-30-down-sleeping-bag

nimrod
01-19-2022, 11:03 AM
As the OP said, -7 bag, i would run with a -17 bag if you see the weather in 24 hours, -22 now here and -1 in 24 hours now, this would be my take buying a new bag/ pad

Mine for back country use is a -18 bag with a therma cell xtherm pad.

Yukongold
01-19-2022, 04:49 PM
i might have to go check these guys out!
thanks for posting this

What makes a good bag is the quality of the down. It comes in all different grades from duck to goose. Apparently the trick is in how the bag is sewn with the overlapping process to eleminate cold spots.