PDA

View Full Version : detachable scope mounts

vance
01-16-2022, 11:13 AM
I have no experience with detachable scope mounts, but I am wondering it is possible to use them to allow transfer of a scope between 2 rifles? My hunting rifle and a 223 for off season practice, for example.

Could one record the elevation and windage adjustment clicks to re-zero for the 223 and then reverse it to return to the settings on the 30/06? Confirming this at the range before hunting of course.

The scope was costly, so would love to use it the whole year round.

Vance

catnthehat
01-16-2022, 11:18 AM
If you have identical rails on your rifles there should be no issue at all. The biggest issue is if you have to keep switching the rings forward or back on different bases, ten it is pretty much a moot point .
You can still record your zeroes and be close however .
Cat

vance
01-16-2022, 12:47 PM
Thanks Cat!
I figured so about ring movement on the scope tube. Good to know that this is possible.
I will start looking into ring/base options. I suppose I may need to put a rail on the 223 in order to match the base spacing on the 30/06 action.
Vance

catnthehat
01-16-2022, 12:51 PM
Thanks Cat!
I figured so about ring movement on the scope tube. Good to know that this is possible.
I will start looking into ring/base options. I suppose I may need to put a rail on the 223 in order to match the base spacing on the 30/06 action.
Vance

Yup, same brand of rail and you will be good to go.
I have both Leupold and Zeiss QD mounts , love them!
Cat

vance
01-16-2022, 02:45 PM
Cat,
Would you recommend one brand over the other or buy based on price?
Vance

catnthehat
01-16-2022, 04:05 PM
Cat,
Would you recommend one brand over the other or buy based on price?
Vance

Both work very well. The Leuplods may be a bit less expensive, I can't remember .
Cat

Smokinyotes
01-16-2022, 04:10 PM
I believe the best mount, if you want to transfer from one gun to another is the NEAR Alpha mount. I have a few of them but I don’t transfer from one gun to another but I have taken them off and put them back on to see if my zero changes.

Jerry D
01-16-2022, 04:55 PM
Look into a picatinny rail for both rifles. The rails are universal among all manufacturers and will keep the same ring spacing so all you need to do is undo the bottom two nuts or screws and re attach.

boonedocks
01-16-2022, 06:36 PM
I have my name on a new production Ruger/ marlin 45/70 and I also have a Leupold 1x4x20! I’m thinking this is the route to go, as the lever gun comes with a picatinney rail already installed, but also has ghostring irons! Something about taking your scope off and on makes me nervous though? Not like this is gonna be a long range rig, obviously, but still?! If Cat says it works that’s all I need to hear.

catnthehat
01-16-2022, 07:01 PM
I have my name on a new production Ruger/ marlin 45/70 and I also have a Leupold 1x4x20! I’m thinking this is the route to go, as the lever gun comes with a picatinney rail already installed, but also has ghostring irons! Something about taking your scope off and on makes me nervous though? Not like this is gonna be a long range rig, obviously, but still?! If Cat says it works that’s all I need to hear.
Don't worry about it at all, I have several rifle I do that with. Using NECG and Near mounts as well as my main hunting rifle .:)
If your rails are well made and properly mounted and your scope is of good quality it will be no mire hassle than adjusting the turrets :sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

newhat
01-16-2022, 09:14 PM
I successfully did exactly what you are proposing. Started a few years ago between my coyote and main hunting rifle. I would emphasize that mounts and rail spec are pretty crucial for precision, but leupolds are adequate for general hunting accuracy.

I had Leupold QD rings on another rifle which were okay (I did not switch between rifles, it was for takedown purposes) but not 1 MOA repeatability.

I’ve since purchased and now utilize a nightforce with near mfg rails and mount and can change this scope from rifle to rifle in about a minute and have perfect repeatability.

It takes a 1/2” wrench which is stashed in the bottom of my rifle case with marked torque points on the mount nuts, but works like a charm and saves a bundle of dough if you want to run one premium scope.

marky_mark
01-16-2022, 10:06 PM
Near mounts are fantastic
And made in camrose also

6.5 shooter
01-16-2022, 11:25 PM
Alaska Arms makes some beautiful mounts. On my CZ rimfire rifles I use Warne mounts. They both lock up tight are well made, and hold zero.

vance
01-17-2022, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I think I will get in touch with NEAR to find out more. Nice to shop local!
Vance