PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a recipe for for gravy from scratch?

Fish along
01-16-2022, 02:00 PM
I really like hot hamburger and poutine, and I'd really like to to have a gravy recipe that I could just make to go with it. I've looked online and can't find anything that tastes better than weiner water,I've tried some of the canned stuff but it's mostly garbage, hopefully someone on here has something,,Thanks..

Greatwest
01-16-2022, 02:47 PM
Have you tried any of the packages where you just add water. Like Clubhouse brand I think Great Value has some packages as well. They are quick and easy and they actually taste pretty good. You said you’ve tried canned stuff but maybe not this stuff. I’ve never tried the canned stuff so can’t comment on it.

Okotok
01-16-2022, 03:13 PM
I've been using this one for a few years. Great on poutine. It's beef gravy so pretty sure it would be great with hot hamburger as well. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/266892/poutine-gravy/

pdog15
01-16-2022, 04:07 PM
We are finding so many of the commercial bases have way to much salt - mushroom, chicken, celery, even dry pac onion soups. Trying with tomato sauce these days and adding spices to taste. Seems to work better.

gunluvr
01-16-2022, 04:07 PM
I really like hot hamburger and poutine, and I'd really like to to have a gravy recipe that I could just make to go with it. I've looked online and can't find anything that tastes better than weiner water,I've tried some of the canned stuff but it's mostly garbage, hopefully someone on here has something,,Thanks..

I live in a small town where there was once a little Chinese restaurant that served mostly western dishes like steak& fries, pork chops and fries, burgers and fries, etc. Just simple country dishes. By far their signature dish was "hot hamburger", a delicious plate of two slices of white bread topped with an extra large ground beef patty topped with fried onions and if you liked, a slice of American cheese. French fries heaped beside and the whole thing smothered in hot beef-chicken gravy. The hot hamburger with cheese was the first thing I ever saw that resembled poutine.
You can make gravy simply by adding a bit of fat, (butter, margarine, or even just canola oil) to the pan after cooking and removing the meat. Stir in about the same amont of flour as fat and stir and cook for a minute. Add packaged beef or chicken broth, a little at a time until it thickens as much as you like. Season and add a splash of bouillon concentrate like Bovril, if you like.

pikergolf
01-16-2022, 04:16 PM
Make your gravy with this, Costco carries it at a reasonable price. Your welcome. :sHa_shakeshout:

https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/

sns2
01-16-2022, 04:26 PM
You can thank me later. Serious.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/knorr-green-peppercorn-classic-sauce-mix/6000136119460

1899b
01-16-2022, 04:29 PM
You can thank me later. Serious.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/knorr-green-peppercorn-classic-sauce-mix/6000136119460

Yup x2…..

Shane knows what’s up …..

Homesteader
01-16-2022, 05:10 PM
The only package gravy I had that was amazing was “Sylvia’s” out of Millet. Sobeys used to carry it. Then it just disappeared. Everyone used to ask me for the recipe and I would just show them the package. I miss it!!!!!

KegRiver
01-16-2022, 05:20 PM
I don't care for what passes as gravy these days, I want old school roast drippings home made gravy.

It's real easy to make, but to make it real good takes a bit of know how that I don't have.
Nevertheless what I make from scratch beats anything that comes from a package or can, so far as I'm concerned.

The recipe I use, if you can call it a recipe, is;

Start with roast drippings, whatever you have will do. Beef, Turkey, Deer roast all make good gravy.

Pour drippings into a frying pan or shallow pot. I prefer a frying pan. Pots are too thin and tend to scorch the mix.

Place pan on medium heat, when it starts to simmer add flour slowly while stirring until you get the thickness you want.
Add whatever spices you like, a dash of sage goes well with poultry gravy, or a bit of crushed garlic in beef drippings.
Go light on the spices, there should already be enough salt and pepper in the mix, from the roast.

The key to not making a lumpy mess is to add the flour slowly while stirring.
I like to use a sifter to sprinkle it in. What I am looking for is just enough flour on surface to be able to see it, no more. Until it is mixed in.

Another way to do it is to skim off the fat on the top of the drippings.

Mix some of that fat with the amount of flour you intend to use. You want it to be just thin enough to mix well.

Then add the flour mixture to the simmering drippings and cook until the flour darkens. At first the mix will look cream colored, you want it to be light brown.

I find this makes a a better gravy but it's much harder to get right.
There can't be any drippings in the fat you add to the flour slurry.
If there is you could wind up with glue.

The principle is, if you work flour and water mixed you get glue but oil and flour mixed creates a slurry no matter how much you work it.
But don't overdo the fat or you'll get greasy gravy.

dunl
01-16-2022, 05:31 PM
Similar to what KegRiver likes.....it's how I do my turkey gravy for Thanks and Xmas.

Turkey always gets roasted with a bot of water in the bottom of the pot. Take that and juice from the turkey, put some in a cast iron frying pan. I put it on high, stirring with a whisk, and cook it until it browns up really dark and starts bubbling...almost drying out. Add more juice and continue until you have enough for what you need.

Thicken it with some corn starch and or more juice if you have it, stirring with a whisk to keep lumps out. Thickening always happens on low heat.

bsmitty27
01-16-2022, 06:53 PM
I take a couple table spoons of roast dripping grease, couple table spoons of flour, in a cast pan, cook it till it starts to brown, add broth, drippings little by little till its a very thin grevy, simmer, it will thicken up, spice and enjoy.

MyAlberta
01-16-2022, 07:02 PM
I agree. The richest gravy starts with roast drippings. Enough water to keep it from burning during the roast. Pour it into a container and let stand to separate. Return enough floating oil and flour to the pan and brown the flour. Mix in the remaining skimmed roast liquid and water for consistency. Pepper and salt to taste.

Jims83cj5
01-16-2022, 08:24 PM
Ya, find a bouillon that you like and that will be your base then spice it, just remember all of them are real salty to begin with. I always have chicken and beef in the fridge and a spare in the pantry.

TrollGRG
01-16-2022, 08:26 PM
Like most everyone else here, I prefer making my own gravy. I prefer the basic (drippings, flour, stock) and my preferred seasonings.

If I am going the prepackaged route, the only one I will use is Trio Brown Gravy from Costco. It doesn't have that tinny taste like most commercial gravys. It is easy to make - 4 to 1 water to gravy mix. Bring water to boil remove from heat and add the gravy mix stirring constantly. In the ingredient list sodium is listed at 9% - a hell of a lot less than most.
There is not much I miss about Ontario/Quebec but poutine is one of them. This comes the closest in my search for the last 40 years. If you want to test it out just order the poutine next time you are in Costco. It is not as good as the original but better than anything else you will find

Commander B
01-16-2022, 09:15 PM
Two tips:

1 : when adding flour or really any thing that will clump, use a fine metal strainer in contact with the liquid.
Add ingredient in strainer and whisk it through.
No clumps!!

2: a product called Bisto is the answer you didnt know you needed.

B.

Jims83cj5
01-16-2022, 09:49 PM
Make roux first then it won’t lump

fishtank
01-16-2022, 09:55 PM
If you can get your hand on some cracklings from kfc’s deep fryers, that the stuff settle at the bottom .

If not then try this pan fried some beef fat ( feel free to add some Montreal steak spice ) add onion caramelized add finely chopped carrots/celery’s add canned chicken broth simmered for 20 minutes and seasoned to taste , then add just 1/2 cup of flour in to a nonstick skillet at medium heat tossed and stir until you can smell some aroma add the broth to thicken, put it thru a strainer then you will have pretty good gravy .

Fish along
01-16-2022, 11:21 PM
Thanks for your replies,i will definetly check out these ideas. I should have said that im very good at making gravy if im cooking a roast, chicken,turkey or whatever and i always use onions that i brown first before i put the roaster with
water and the the meal. After its cooked i remove the meal and let the drippings cool.Then i seive flour into a bottle with warm water and shake it and add to the drippings and stir then turn up the heat to get it bubbling,then cool and skim of the fat. The bottle with flour and water insures no lumpy gravy,salt an pepper to taste.I sometimes use corn starch instead of flour.. My main reason was to get a gravy i could make without cooking a roast or what ever,so i could fry up some hamburger patties with onions and a tasty easy to make gravy or rue to pour over the top. Some of the things mentioned are interesting and ill try them like the Knorrs peppercorn mix,and the costco Trio. Ive only recently got into eating poutine and i love it especially at Burger King,however my fries are much better all i need is quick gravy.:):)

Fish along
01-16-2022, 11:27 PM
Make your gravy with this, Costco carries it at a reasonable price. Your welcome. :sHa_shakeshout:

https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/

I have this on hand all the time,great stuff.thanks.

Fish along
01-16-2022, 11:36 PM
Have you tried any of the packages where you just add water. Like Clubhouse brand I think Great Value has some packages as well. They are quick and easy and they actually taste pretty good. You said you’ve tried canned stuff but maybe not this stuff. I’ve never tried the canned stuff so can’t comment on it.

This is what i would like to have,something easy to make but there are so many and so few good ones.Thanks.:)

gunluvr
01-17-2022, 05:47 AM
Any good restaurant cook makes gravy with the roux method, not with a slurry.
Stir flour into fat and cook for a while, enough to brown the flour. Add warm liquid and stir until its bubbling and thick. No lumps.
And never cornstarch.

flydude
01-17-2022, 08:05 AM
For flour use a product such as this, lasts for years when used for just for sauces and gravies:

ROBIN HOOD Easy Blend Flour

https://www.robinhood.ca/En/Products/Easy-Blend-Shaker

bat119
01-17-2022, 08:47 AM
2 tbls. of butter or fat and flour made into a roux

slowly add

11/2 cups better than beef broth

or for poutine

1 cup beef 1/2 cup chicken broth

Whisk when adding liquids to avoid lumps

Packaged gravy is hit and miss the clubhouse poutine and turkey are good

barbless
01-17-2022, 10:15 AM
When there is nothing for drippings do the roux to start and add what ever spices you want. Warm your spices in the pan to get them fragrant. Just be careful of the amount. The longer you cook the roux the darker it will get. Equal amounts flour and butter (fat) Do not over heat or it will burn, stir stir stir. As long as you have butter and flour you are good to go. I always save all my bacon grease, flavor, flavor. You can just add water or bullion if you have. Experiment with different items from fridge or pantry for sure. Wine is also a good partial liquid for flavor. I can and have done it with little to no advance notice. Explaining is more difficult for me. If you got 10 min, try it and try it again. Let the roux cook longer to get that darkness look.

EZM
01-17-2022, 11:01 AM
My mom would make gravy from drippings as described above - ussually this is enoug for the meal you were making.

But she also had a truck up her sleeve (came from her time working the kitchen in a fine restaurant in Europe) - she used to save bones, trim, etc... and use them to make gravy .... she would season then up, add carrot, onion, garlic, celery and bake these off until they were well browned in the roaster. Then she would add some red wine and water and braise these for a bit (reducing it by half). Finally, strain and add impren (roux) and thicken it up.

For me, this is too much work, but for results .... this is the best gravy in the world.

Sashi
01-17-2022, 11:20 AM
Any inexpensive beef roast, rinse it, apply a salt and pepper rub, place in slow cooker, add 1/4 cup of water, set timer for 8 hrs, and wait.
Roast will be very tender,
Pour juice into pot, Add 2 heaping tablespoons of flour, Wisk until there is no lumps, bring to a boil to thicken, taste and it's great.
add beef broth and flour if more is required.

KegRiver
01-17-2022, 03:49 PM
Any good restaurant cook makes gravy with the roux method, not with a slurry.
Stir flour into fat and cook for a while, enough to brown the flour. Add warm liquid and stir until its bubbling and thick. No lumps.
And never cornstarch.

Do you know what you get when you cook a slurry?

It's called a Roux.

All Roux start as a slurry.

Thought you'd like to know that.

Roux is flour and fat cooked together and used to thicken sauces. ... Roux is typically made from equal parts of flour and fat by weight

A slurry- is a combination of starch (usually cornstarch, flour, potato starch or arrowroot) and cold water or fat which is mixed together and used to thicken a soup or sauce (gravy).

calgarychef
01-17-2022, 08:04 PM
Do you know what you get when you cook a slurry?

It's called a Roux.

All Roux start as a slurry.

Thought you'd like to know that.

I’ve been staying out of this one and just watching what people do. It’s interesting.

But I gotta jump in for the roux question. Roux doesn’t start as a slurry.
A slurry (whitewash) is a mixture of flour and cold liquid..usually water.
Chef Tom at SAIT used to call water “bow River stock”

Roux is not a slurry it’s a mixture of fat and flour that is always cooked first before using and at the very least brought to the boil after adding it to the liquid. I always boil any flour thickened sauce at least 1/2 hour.. Escoffier said to boil for 8 hours.

Roux can be cooked and left white… cooked more for a blond roux and cooked until brown-for a brown sauce. Gravy benefits a lot from brown roux.
Lots of home cooks just brown flour in a frying pan or the oven and use that in a slurry, it works but not as nice as a brown roux.

calgarychef
01-17-2022, 08:49 PM
I’ve been staying out of this one and just watching what people do. It’s interesting.

But I gotta jump in for the roux question. Roux doesn’t start as a slurry.
A slurry (whitewash) is a mixture of flour and cold liquid..usually water.
Chef Tom at SAIT used to call water “bow River stock”

Roux is not a slurry it’s a mixture of fat and flour that is always cooked first before using and at the very least brought to the boil after adding it to the liquid. I always boil any flour thickened sauce at least 1/2 hour.. Escoffier said to boil for 8 hours.

Roux can be cooked and left white… cooked more for a blond roux and cooked until brown-for a brown sauce. Gravy benefits a lot from brown roux.
Lots of home cooks just brown flour in a frying pan or the oven and use that in a slurry, it works but not as nice as a brown roux.

So I went back and reread kegs post… he’s got one thing right for sure.
Using the fat skimmed off the drippings for a roux that he cooks until it’s brown.
It’s a good thing to cook that fat until it stops sputtering, that means all the water is evaporated out-keg is right, any water in the roux will cause lumps.

KegRiver
01-17-2022, 09:38 PM
So I went back and reread kegs post… he’s got one thing right for sure.
Using the fat skimmed off the drippings for a roux that he cooks until it’s brown.
It’s a good thing to cook that fat until it stops sputtering, that means all the water is evaporated out-keg is right, any water in the roux will cause lumps.

Now that I did not know. But it makes perfect sense.
I always just skimmed very carefully.

Red Bullets
01-18-2022, 01:58 AM
An easy mushroom gravy is good on french fries too. Or good with most any meat, tame or wild.

30 minutes to make. No fat renderings needed. This recipe is for 2 to 3 cups of finished gravy so you could half the recipe too for less. I make this regularly.

Brown a pound of sliced or diced white or cremini mushroooms in a 1/4 cup of unsalted melted butter. (Better flavor yet would be to add morels too) When the mushrooms are lightly browned add 1/3 cup of flour to the mushrooms and butter. Mix well, cook/stir on medium heat for 5 minutes. Then add a pinch of thyme and stir/whisk in 1 cup of cold broth * into the flour/mushroom mixture. When mixed well add/stir in 3 more cups of broth*.
(*I use the Knorr boullion cubes to make my broth. 2 cubes to 4 cups water. No other salt added to the recipe.)
To me beef broth makes a richer flavor than chicken broth. Chicken is good too though. Vegetarians can use vegetable broth but it lacks a bit of depth. Put to simmer, no lid, for 30 minutes. Or a little higher heat and stir regularly to reduce the gravy quicker to desired thickness.

Black pepper to taste after the gravy is finished. Keep the pepper profile fresher than adding the pepper during cooking. Only one or two drops of worchestershire or liquid smoke optional, as they will really change the mushroom taste profile.

fishtank
01-18-2022, 01:10 PM
Wanted gravy with my Big Crunch combo .. a small gravy is $2.50

KMCL0610
02-25-2022, 03:39 AM
Potatoes should be peeled and sliced into quarters. Chop the chives finely. Onion should be halved, peeled, and finely sliced. Green beans should be trimmed. Bring to a boil, covered, over high heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and return to the same pot, but turn off the heat. Mash the potatoes with a fork to include the sour cream and half of the chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange the meatballs on one side of a baking sheet. On the other side of the baking sheet, toss green beans with 1/2 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast, flipping green beans halfway through cooking, until meatballs are cooked (https://www.hellofresh.ca/recipes/gravy-smothered-meatballs-60912a727a94023914287a80) through, 14-16 minutes.

BlackHeart
02-25-2022, 11:52 AM
My mom... - she used to save bones, trim, etc... and use them to make gravy .... she would season then up, add carrot, onion, garlic, celery and bake these off until they were well browned in the roaster. Then she would add some red wine and water and braise these for a bit (reducing it by half). Finally, strain and add impren (roux) and thicken it up.

For me, this is too much work, but for results .... this is the best gravy in the world.

Similar to what we do with moose and deer bones. Right after the butchering we save all the bones (cut up to release the marrow), roast in big roasters and above vegetables, dump it into a very large pot with herb bouquet and topped with water.

Simmer for 24hrs. Strain out the solids and then reduce down till it’s thick/sticky/gelatinous. Pour into trays and chill. Cut the jello like stuff into cubes freeze and vac.

Whenever a sauce or soup or brisket injection or gravy or stew or stir-fry needs a boost, just add a one in sq cube and the flavor gets a huge boost. Lots of store bought mixtures use MSG or one of its other names. Can use this as a base for your gravy. Or as a Demi-glaze for your steak

One moose load of bones will make enough to last a year.....for most families..
It’s a bunch of work but worth it and you only have to do it once a year for a supply. Plus the aroma of moose bones roasting is great and goes well with the beers, buddies and celebrating a good years hunt. Plus the added bonus of using as much of the animal as possible.

calgarychef
02-25-2022, 07:09 PM
Similar to what we do with moose and deer bones. Right after the butchering we save all the bones (cut up to release the marrow), roast in big roasters and above vegetables, dump it into a very large pot with herb bouquet and topped with water.

Simmer for 24hrs. Strain out the solids and then reduce down till it’s thick/sticky/gelatinous. Pour into trays and chill. Cut the jello like stuff into cubes freeze and vac.

Whenever a sauce or soup or brisket injection or gravy or stew or stir-fry needs a boost, just add a one in sq cube and the flavor gets a huge boost. Lots of store bought mixtures use MSG or one of its other names. Can use this as a base for your gravy. Or as a Demi-glaze for your steak

One moose load of bones will make enough to last a year.....for most families..
It’s a bunch of work but worth it and you only have to do it once a year for a supply. Plus the aroma of moose bones roasting is great and goes well with the beers, buddies and celebrating a good years hunt. Plus the added bonus of using as much of the animal as possible.

Glacé de viande….meat glaze. You’re right, it’s very worthwhile making and a lot of effort too.

Dean2
02-26-2022, 08:35 AM
Gravy from Burgers, also works with pork chops. Cook burgers in a pan with some Butter. Once cooked remove from pan. Chop 5 or six large mushrooms into slices, cook lightly in the burger fat, add one can of low/no salt Campbell mushroom soup, heat and stir continuously until it smooths out, add enough no salt, no gluten beef stock (can be bought) to get the right thickness. We have used this gravy recipe out hunting for over 60 years.

If you make a large batch of gravy from a Roast or Turkey, using traditional from scratch recipes, freeze the extra and you can use it for many months later. Put it in the micro wave to thaw and to get it hot.

bubba300
02-27-2022, 07:30 AM
My mother always used the potatoe water for her gravy,I think just because it had salt in it.

silver
02-28-2022, 07:35 AM
I have a book here called Bone Deep Broth. I think it covers the subject fairly well. Boil the pork and beef bones for 24 hours, poultry for 12 hours.