PDA

View Full Version : Stock Inletting Tools

CantThinkOfAName
01-22-2022, 11:13 AM
I’m not a wood guy (more intricate metal guy). But I have a stock I would like to finish inletting.
You guys have any recommendations for a store/brand/set I should take a look at?
Do you find a scraper or curled scrapers are useful? Or just stick with chisels and gouges?
How is shipping inletting black in winter? (I should have some marking blue at work if nothing else).
Thanks.

fps plus
01-22-2022, 11:54 AM
Chisels and gouges have a place on some of the fitting in the receiver area but don’t work well in barrel channels. Scraper and special barrel channel tools work best .

Dean2
01-22-2022, 12:39 PM
I agree with FPS, but if you are just going to do one or two, small hand chisels for the action work do the job fine and there isn't a real easy alternative to them. Just keep them VERY sharp and take real small shaves. As far as the barrel channel, dedicated barrel channel rasps are great, but a long deep reach socket in increasing sizes, wrapped with 80 grit sand paper does a real good approximation as long as you are just opening up a barrel channel a bit.

I have a set of chisels like this with a few more such as a larger rounded chisel etc.

https://assets.leevalley.com/Size4/10108/57D0602-set-of-5-palm-handle-basic-carving-tools-f-0006.jpg

Larger bent Gouge as example
https://assets.leevalley.com/Size5/10101/61U3712-12mm-7-hirsch-spoon-gouge-f-0072.jpg

catnthehat
01-22-2022, 03:28 PM
I use a variety of tools for inletting, some are home made
Others such as rifflers, gouges and barrel inletting tools can be bought from Lee Valley or Brownells.
As far as inletting black goes, a coal oil lamp works super, but you can use Prussian Blue in a jiffy .
Cat

raised by wolves
01-23-2022, 11:28 AM
I find my Dremel to be incredibly handy.

Dean2
01-23-2022, 11:36 AM
I find my Dremel to be incredibly handy.

I do too, but it takes a LOT of practice to be good enough with one to do inletting work when you are close to final dimensions. I am sure you too have found them great for rough hog out. I still use Chisels for the final fine touches.

catnthehat
01-23-2022, 12:41 PM
Th only time I use an electric rotary anything is when I have to remove epoxy type bedding material , otherwise I stay right away from this things !:thinking-006:
Cat

32-40win
01-23-2022, 03:24 PM
I think, probably, the cheapest way to get some practice on it, and you may even like how it comes out, is about 3 pcs of the 1x6 black walnut, or eastern maple , or cherry boards that places like Windsor Plywood keep. You can usually sort thru that stuff and find something you can glue up into a piece that is usable to practice on and cheaper to wreck. Rasps, chisels and lots of sandpaper are about all you really need, and a good bit of patience.

6.5 shooter
01-23-2022, 10:11 PM
I love power tools, but not for stock work, they usually create more work then they solve at least in my hands.