PDA

View Full Version : Tackle Box Stinks due to Powerbait

DarkAisling
09-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Any idea how I can get the Powerbait stink out of my tackle box? It really reeks. :sick: The stink is from the Powerbait plastics.

redneck posse
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
u can try a little bleach and water then let it air out.

baitfisher83
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
take a hose to it with some dish soap, thats what i did, but the smell comes back pretty fast, one of the joys of fishing i guess

Kyle
09-06-2009, 02:04 PM
my fillet knife smells like fish, anyway to get the fish smell off....oh wait :rolleyes:

DarkAisling
09-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Dish soap didn't do anything for it (first thing I tried, before I posted). It seems like it has completely permeated the plastic. It makes sense that the odor would do this, as it is used on plastic baits. It stinks to high heaven. I'm actually worried it might draw in bears or something. I'll try the bleach.

Kyle, It's pretty easy to get the stink of fish off of a fillet knife. Try washing it. I know you were trying to be a smart @$$, but I'm left with the impression that you're a bit of an idiot . . . big difference between the natural smell of fish, and a synthetic chemical that is designed to permeate plastic.

baitfisher83
09-06-2009, 02:47 PM
dont mind him, he thinks he's god's gift to fishing....not sure what else you could try, bleach could work but might be a bit too strong...

deanmc
09-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Hmmm I had some gulp leak into the rubber floor mats on my pickup.
I sprayed it down with spray nine and left it in overnight.Then I put coffee grounds over that for a couple days. Stills smells a tiny bit on the hottest days.

This may introduce a smell that fish hate so I would be very careful. Did you try soaking your tackle box in vinegar? that may help without turning the fish off.

DarkAisling
09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
dont mind him, he thinks he's god's gift to fishing....not sure what else you could try, bleach could work but might be a bit too strong...

I'm feeling particularly feisty today. Hey, did you know that Tylenol now makes a version specifically for PMS? Found it at Wal-Mart . . . isn't working yet! :lol: I'd really love to tear someone (anyone) a new one.

The bleach might be a little harsh, but I'm not sure what else to do.

EDIT: I bet vinegar will do the trick :) Thanks DeanMc.

deanmc
09-06-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm feeling particularly feisty today. Hey, did you know that Tylenol now makes a version specifically for PMS? Found it at Wal-Mart . . . isn't working yet! :lol: I'd really love to tear someone (anyone) a new one.

The bleach might be a little harsh, but I'm not sure what else to do.

EDIT: I bet vinegar will do the trick :) Thanks DeanMc.

No problem. Thanks for not tearing me a new one btw;).. my old one is working just fine!!!:lol:

Redfrog
09-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I was recently in New Mexico and went to the local Walmart. I was loking for some fishing gear. Thety had some great T shirts there. I got one for my wife but she refuses to where it. All it says on the front is "Stink Bait".:lol::lol:
Why is it that women have no sense of humor.?

Anyway back to your problem. Try a couple boxes of Baking soda. leave it in there for a day or two and hose it out.

baitfisher83
09-06-2009, 03:56 PM
umm women do have a sense of humor...i wouldnt wear that shirt either, i'm surprised you'restill married :lol:

DarkAisling
09-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Yup . . .our sense of humour is just very different. I don't laugh when the other-half holds a stud finder in front of himself and makes a beeping nose. I also don't laugh when he wanders around the house holding a baguette in front of his, um, "pants." I wouldn't laugh if he gave me a shirt that said "Stink Bait."

I do laugh when he makes a witty and intelligent comment. :)

The baking soda is a good idea. They've just started advertising these packages that stick to the inside of the fridge and have refills: no mess, or so they say. It might be a good idea to have one inside the tackle box at all times.

brianscott
09-06-2009, 04:38 PM
try a paste of baking soda and water, scrub it well with a small brush or old toothbrush.
I havent used it but I recall reading about it

huntsfurfish
09-06-2009, 06:36 PM
A little tip for the future- Store your powerbaits in a large ziplock bag(you can keep multiple bags of powerbait in them.

And always put the ones that you were using back in the powerbait bag as well. Been working well for me since power bait came out.

Sorry cant help with the issue now though.

Redfrog
09-06-2009, 09:29 PM
umm women do have a sense of humor...i wouldnt wear that shirt either, i'm surprised you'restill married :lol:

So am I.

She says if she had killed me instead of marrying me, she'd be a free woman by now.:lol:

WayneChristie
09-06-2009, 09:31 PM
So am I.

She says if she had killed me instead of marrying me, she'd be a free woman by now.:lol:

she isnt the only woman who's used that line :) thats why I learned to sleep with one eye open :lol:
and Aisling, your hubby isnt the only one whos done that with the studfinder. cept mine makes the noise on its own ;) LMAO

pikester
09-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Any idea how I can get the Powerbait stink out of my tackle box? It really reeks. :sick: The stink is from the Powerbait plastics.

Sorry I don't know how to get the stink out once it's there but if you get back to smelling good again(:D) then I can give you a suggestion on how to prevent it from happening again. Stick your packs in Ziploc freezer bags first, then into your tackle box/bag. You can put several packs in one freezer bag depending on the size of your compartments. I have had a tackle bag full of Powerbaits, Yums, etc. for two years now all in Ziploc & the bag doesn't smell at all. Either that or my olfactory senses are completely shot!:lol:

Edit: Darn I type slow, I see that while I was replying huntsfurfish already beat me to the punch. Oh well, at least I know it's a good idea, great minds think alike eh hunts!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Baking soda is the ticket , diid this with all my tackle boxes do that aswell in the winter to clean all my gear .

WayneChristie
09-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Baking soda is the ticket , diid this with all my tackle boxes do that aswell in the winter to clean all my gear .

how many cases of baking soda does it take to clean that sequined camo thong?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

WayneChristie
09-06-2009, 10:38 PM
how many cases of baking soda does it take to clean that sequined camo thong?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

oh man, thought Id got that mental picture erased!!! crap!!!!

DarkAisling
09-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Just gave it a good scrub with baking soda. It helped quite a bit. The smell isn't totally gone, but I don't gag when I open it any more.

I picked up one of those new Arm & Hammer "Fridge Fresh" things at the Stupidstore. Hopefully that will help keep it fresh.

Wispyrr
09-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Thank's guys this post made me giggle alot and I needed that !:lol: