PDA

View Full Version : Chain lakes was on fire today

Jims83cj5
01-30-2022, 07:41 PM
Just a put and take but landed over 30 trout, not one sucker. People beside me were struggling a little so I kept my limit of the terminal injured and cooked up a meal for them, then went home, good times.

Jims83cj5
01-30-2022, 09:04 PM
I actually went there for suckers. Years ago when I went for trout all I got was suckers, now it’s switched. I tried the camera as often the sucker mouth it and don’t pull but I was too deep and with the camera 4 feet from the bait you couldn’t see the bait, you could see the fish tho. Then they would tangle with the camera line. I was in about 20 feet of water, maybe I’ll try shallower so the picture is better and I can look down or at a 45.,,thoughts anyone?

DisplacedCaper
01-30-2022, 10:25 PM
I took my kids Saturday. 2 hours on the ice and 2 suckers on camera and nothing else. I was in about 20-30 ft of water. Using a maggot like jig with some cheese on one rod, and a white/yellow panther Martin spinner with cheese that is my go to when ice fishing chain, it’s always worked.
Lots of guys were out and I talked to a few around us and only one 6” trout was caught.
Lots of fun had though and the kids want to go again, so it was a win:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardiacCowboy
01-31-2022, 12:25 AM
Just a put and take but landed over 30 trout, not one sucker. People beside me were struggling a little so I kept my limit of the terminal injured and cooked up a meal for them, then went home, good times.

Care to share your technique? How was the weather and ice. I hit chain lots in spring and fall but this is the first year I have gone on the ice. Was it safe for trucks on ice?

Jims83cj5
01-31-2022, 06:22 AM
Care to share your technique? How was the weather and ice. I hit chain lots in spring and fall but this is the first year I have gone on the ice. Was it safe for trucks on ice?

I had a 4 door jeep with my fishing trailer, 7200 lbs all in, about 1000 lbs more-than a normal 1/2 ton, was quite windy at times, not much cracking going on, a few 3/4 trucks and camper vans out there too and about 40 other smaller vehicles. I used bare hooks with about an inch of worm, got maybe 2 on that. Yellow gulp trout food got 2 on that, the rest on a a tiny tiny yellow tear drop jig with a red tip, no more than a cm long, so small it’s hard to tie it on, with about 1/4” of worm on it, 1’ off the bottom no movement I. Got way more action if the jig sat level. You can hardly feel the bite when the string is in your fingers.