PDA

View Full Version : ice auger woes

lakerman
01-31-2022, 05:59 PM
Got a jiffy white lightning, played with the carb, she revs high at full throttle but very little torque, to spin the auger. Think maybe its the clutch, litte drip of what looks like oil comes out of the gear gasket,I thought it was dry in there. you think maybe clutch has grease on it and thats making it slip? Any insights?

Jims83cj5
01-31-2022, 06:23 PM
Got a jiffy white lightning, played with the carb, she revs high at full throttle but very little torque, to spin the auger. Think maybe its the clutch, litte drip of what looks like oil comes out of the gear gasket,I thought it was dry in there. you think maybe clutch has grease on it and thats making it slip? Any insights?

Too many variables after you played with the carb

lakerman
01-31-2022, 07:34 PM
it needed a little adjusting to get it to run, my question is more for anyone that has taken the gears apart, is there just a bit of grease in there, and i'm assumming the clutch should be clean, with no grease.?

Bergerboy
01-31-2022, 07:38 PM
The gear box has a clutch and a set of reduction gears. I found the manual online for mine and it said it contains 4oz of grease and the gears should be covered. If you are getting good motor RPM and no input to the auger, I am guessing a clutch issue.

Bergerboy
01-31-2022, 07:42 PM
Here is a link to the parts diagram
https://www.tesstools.net/Jiffy_Ice_Drill_Model_76_White_Lightning_Parts_Lis t_s/2503.htm

swampy45
01-31-2022, 07:50 PM
I’ve got an Eskimo Shark Z71 10” in great shape up for grabs if the ol’ White Lightning has lost its thunder!

OL_JR
01-31-2022, 08:10 PM
Complete guesses but here goes. If it sat for a while the grease might have separated and that is why you are seeing oil.

If it runs fine unloaded and has little tourque or dies under load may be in need of a new diaphragm.

Drewski Canuck
01-31-2022, 08:16 PM
Did yo by chance knock the Governor Spring off?

The whole point of the Governor is to keep the machine from over revving when it is not under load, and as the vacuum drops because the blades are under load the governor spring gives more throttle to increase the power output.

When the Governor spring is missing, you will not get that throaty characteristic acceleration from your Auger under load.

This is the exact problem I had and lucky my hemostat pliers were able to re locate the spring on its keeper in the middle of the lake.

Drewski

lakerman
02-01-2022, 08:16 PM
All the input is greatly appreciated, Never thought of some of those ideas, I'll take a look at it when I get a chance and hopefully get it fixed, and report on my findings.

58thecat
02-01-2022, 11:36 PM
Well was out the other day, probably twenty different groups all spread out 50 to 100 yards off shore....there were a few gas augers fired up....a few choice words too and some pulled lots to have old faithful bark, fart and stall....the rest of us just quietly went about drilling holes with our electric augers.:)

These issues you are having is a reason to get an electric auger and never look back.

This is the only short/Long term fix I got for you.

hookset
02-02-2022, 04:07 PM
Had the exact same issue this year on my older model jiffy.

Of coarse make sure your idler screws and carb is set correctly.

Sounds like it is your clutch, as it was that on mine as well. I took the gear box apart, mine is quite old and had lots of grease in the gear box, all teeth and that looked fine. Newer models use less grease just around the edges of your gears. Gasket still good even(augers 40+ years old). Never opened the gear box until this year.

Once I got to the clutch the bowl/drum was full of oil/grease/fuel for what ever reason. I think fuel leaked in from above maybe a bolt wiggled just loose enough to open up a pathway. 2 governer springs on the clutch can break or come apart and cause this issue as well. You can order a new clutch right from jiffy. My springs were good.

Solution. Took it apart, cleaned the sh*t out of the clutch and drum with break cleaner. Put it back together, Runs like its brand new. Hoping to get another 40 years out of it.

pikeman06
02-02-2022, 06:04 PM
Well was out the other day, probably twenty different groups all spread out 50 to 100 yards off shore....there were a few gas augers fired up....a few choice words too and some pulled lots to have old faithful bark, fart and stall....the rest of us just quietly went about drilling holes with our electric augers.:)

These issues you are having is a reason to get an electric auger and never look back.
This is the only short/Long term fix I got for you.

Good lord man. When your car won't start do you haul er to the dump and go buy an electric one? Pretty bulletproof simple internal combustion basic kinda stuff. Jiffy been making augers for 35 years before these electric things came along!!! Lakerman dump your fuel for starters mix a proper batch, pull your plug make sure its gapped proper and sparking good. Clean your governor spring and assembly make sure its opening with your throttle bar. Carb settings are on the internet. I've had one auger after 20000 holes with a slipping clutch or gear box issues. I just use her for thinner early ice and gotta watch I don't push too hard or the clutch slips a bit. If you fiddled with your carb I bet that's the issue. Much like a chainsaw.

Hunter4ever12
02-02-2022, 07:33 PM
Good lord man. When your car won't start do you haul er to the dump and go buy an electric one? Pretty bulletproof simple internal combustion basic kinda stuff. Jiffy been making augers for 35 years before these electric things came along!!! Lakerman dump your fuel for starters mix a proper batch, pull your plug make sure its gapped proper and sparking good. Clean your governor spring and assembly make sure its opening with your throttle bar. Carb settings are on the internet. I've had one auger after 20000 holes with a slipping clutch or gear box issues. I just use her for thinner early ice and gotta watch I don't push too hard or the clutch slips a bit. If you fiddled with your carb I bet that's the issue. Much like a chainsaw.

LOL! Everything you just explained is the reason why I switched to electric,press a button and drill. But all the power to you to stick with gas powered,things change and people don’t mind simple and easy.

58thecat
02-02-2022, 08:06 PM

Just a suggestion is all, I can wrench with the best of them but prefer to value my time fishing:)

Hope the OP gets old Betsy fired up and going soon enough.

lakerman
02-03-2022, 05:25 PM
If not maybe I can meet up with all the battery operated owners,:grouphug: now I know why it was so quiet at Wab. the other day, with hundreds fishing, not so much at Lac st anne.

58thecat
02-04-2022, 06:46 AM
If not maybe I can meet up with all the battery operated owners,:grouphug: now I know why it was so quiet at Wab. the other day, with hundreds fishing, not so much at Lac st anne.

If I drove by and seen you pulling and pulling then letting frustration out I would gladly come over and drill a bunch of holes for you.

Seen a fella that his cord broke and was farting around with it on his tailgate...we chatted...drilled holes and salvaged his day...he repaired the auger and sold it.

Seen him a few days later as I drove by and got the thumbs up:)

Fishing story....got a buddy that insists on setting up his tent, goes in and fires up old smokey...I was sitting outside watching the show and chirping like a buddy does....the auger would run, stop, smoke, and he would rinse and repeat the process a few times...he ripped open the door, smoke piles out and then the auger landing 20 feet from the tent...he steps out...eye balls me as if it was my fault...walks over grabs my strike master...tells me me to shut up...goes in his tent and drills a few holes...walks over and says thx.

He is in Mexico this winter....says he isn’t missing the ice fishing....I tell him to shut up:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Drewski Canuck
02-07-2022, 03:17 PM
The season is getting long for electric augers, and the ice is getting deep.

I too see the advantage of an electric when you have less than 2 feet of ice, but we are getting past that, and it will only get worse.

My neighbours who have electrics admit that once it gets beyond 2 foot of ice, they can do about 10 holes. If it is past 3 foot of ice, it really drops off for holes per charge.

I hate my gas augers until the ice gets really thick. Then I really hate my gas auger with the 1 foot extension, but I can at least still keep fishing.

There is no happy medium, other than doing what your friend did and winter in Mexico.

Drewski

JDK71
02-07-2022, 03:48 PM
empty out gas at end of season new gas at the start of the season good to go

Reign_Man
02-07-2022, 04:14 PM
I recently purchased an Eskimo gas auger Mako M43. It's been reliable but I noticed that when my buddy uses his electric portable drill adapter to drill his 8" holes, he gets it done quicker than I do with my larger hole. Is this a matter of larger surface area or should mine be able to get through just as quick? I hope it's appropriate for me to ask in this thread...

AlbertanGP
02-07-2022, 04:51 PM
It has to do with the fact that electric motors are torque monsters by nature. A top end cordless drill probably puts out more torque than that big powerhead on your gas auger.

It's also the reason a super heavy Tesla Plaid or Rimac can annihilate any ICE car in a drag race. :scared0018:

Also, as I've mentioned before, a 10" hole is 156% the size of an 8" hole. So that's a big difference. He'd probably still beat you if you had an 8" leg though. ;)

SNAPFisher
02-07-2022, 06:51 PM
The season is getting long for electric augers, and the ice is getting deep.

I too see the advantage of an electric when you have less than 2 feet of ice, but we are getting past that, and it will only get worse.

My neighbours who have electrics admit that once it gets beyond 2 foot of ice, they can do about 10 holes. If it is past 3 foot of ice, it really drops off for holes per charge.

I hate my gas augers until the ice gets really thick. Then I really hate my gas auger with the 1 foot extension, but I can at least still keep fishing.

There is no happy medium, other than doing what your friend did and winter in Mexico.

Drewski

Seriously doubt your claims here. First hand experience I drilled about 40 holes a few years back on Sandy lake in lake March. 3 feet of ice and slushy on top. The worst kind of ice to drill really. Was kicking away the shavings at least once so we didn't need the extension. That is a 10 inch SM40v as well. Had to switch to my 2nd battery finally.

I've drilled many, many holes through final ice days / late March days. No issues with running out of battery. The happy medium exists - its electric :)

58thecat
02-07-2022, 07:40 PM
Seriously doubt your claims here. First hand experience I drilled about 40 holes a few years back on Sandy lake in lake March. 3 feet of ice and slushy on top. The worst kind of ice to drill really. Was kicking away the shavings at least once so we didn't need the extension. That is a 10 inch SM40v as well. Had to switch to my 2nd battery finally.

I've drilled many, many holes through final ice days / late March days. No issues with running out of battery. The happy medium exists - its electric :)

Yeah I bought mine based on research and the assorted meats fella when he was up at baker lake punched holes in well over four feet of ice multiple times etc

No issues to date punching lots of holes in 24” of ice in March just if the ice gets thicker than I would need the extension but with sharp blades I wouldn’t hesitate to drill holes in thicker ice.
Lots of torque and just cuts so smooth and effortlessly.:)

Dewey Cox
02-07-2022, 08:07 PM
If trudeau went icefishing, I think he would use electric too.

;)

58thecat
02-08-2022, 06:24 AM
If trudeau went icefishing, I think he would use electric too.

;)

But he would run an extension cord and eventually be surrounded by ice holes:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dewey Cox
02-08-2022, 06:37 AM
He is an icehole.