PDA

View Full Version : Original Trophy Bonded Bear Claw Bullets

Salavee
01-31-2022, 07:01 PM
Has anyone used these old bullets ? How was their terminal performance and accuracy. It's my understanding that they have been dicontinued for some time now by Federal but I just found over 100 of them (.358 ) in a stach I had forgotten about.

I may try them in my 35 Whelen Ai if they have some merit.

Arctic
02-01-2022, 02:23 PM
I liked them, still have some that Jack Carter made up for me in his garage to test in the bigger sizes like 9.3, .424, etc. Guess they'd be considered museum items now.

Cappy
02-01-2022, 03:26 PM
Great bullet, replaced by the Trophy Bonded Tipped. The originals penetrated and held together exceptionally well, never had an issue getting them to shoot in .308.

urban rednek
02-01-2022, 05:15 PM
The TBBC is a premium bullet that was removed from the reloading market at the request of Federal, circa 2015. They wanted exclusive right to the TBBC bullets for their ammunition.
The Speer reloading manual #14 still has a listing for the 225 gr. TBBC for the 35 Whelen, as well as other calibres. Every calibre listed for the TBBC bullets includes this note:

Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid bullets have unique ballistic behaviour compared to conventional bullets. Loads for TBBC and TBSS bullets may not "track" with data for conventional bullets. Use TBBC and TBSS data ONLY for TBBC and TBSS bullets.

Twisted Canuck
02-01-2022, 06:20 PM
I still have a box of 180s for my .300 WM. Federal Premium from long ago. Not sure why I never tried them, other then the 180 TSX was working good. I expect they'd still do the job. Maybe I should try them....