PDA

View Full Version : Forester dies

birchcliff
01-31-2022, 07:50 PM
I have a bonanza co axle press and haven’t needed any dies since I started reloading, I am looking at purchasing a 22-250 and am looking for f.l & seater dies. I believe it is now Forrester that makes the dies these days, just wondering if there is a distributor in Alberta or where do I order the dies from? Thanks

pat84
01-31-2022, 08:28 PM
You don’t necessarily need the same brand of dies as your press. You can use RCBS or Redding or any other brand of dies.

birchcliff
01-31-2022, 08:38 PM
You don’t necessarily need the same brand of dies as your press. You can use RCBS or Redding or any other brand of dies.
Thanks

pikergolf
01-31-2022, 08:50 PM
There are numerous used 22-250 die sets available on town post, I would guess there are some on gun nutz as well.

Grizzly Adams1
01-31-2022, 09:40 PM

Standard thread 7/8 x14.

Grizz

pat84
02-02-2022, 12:57 PM
Standard thread 7/8 x14.

Grizz
I mean if you want to get technical for a coax the thread pitch can be whatever, as long as you have a lock nut for it. For my 22-250 dies I use a Lee collet die, Redding neck and seating die.

Pathfinder76
02-02-2022, 01:29 PM
I use several brands of die’s in my co-ax press

qwert
02-02-2022, 01:48 PM
I use several brands of die’s in my co-ax press

Will a tall Redding Competition neck bushing and/or seating die (with fully guided case and micrometer) for a long cartridge like 338LM, fit under the Co-Ax press handle without interference, or are alterations required?

TIA

6MT
02-02-2022, 01:54 PM
Dies fit in the Co-Ax just fine. If you're asking whether the long .338LM case will fit when seating a bullet, then that answer is yes it will. But you will have to come up from underneath with the bullet into the seating die and then back into the case.

I seat my bullets really long, and that's how I do it. A little bit different. But it works just fine.

And, the longest die I have is an RCBS micrometer seating die. There's lot's of space for it to clear that handle.

qwert
02-02-2022, 07:31 PM
Dies fit in the Co-Ax just fine. If you're asking whether the long .338LM case will fit when seating a bullet, then that answer is yes it will. But you will have to come up from underneath with the bullet into the seating die and then back into the case.

I seat my bullets really long, and that's how I do it. A little bit different. But it works just fine.

And, the longest die I have is an RCBS micrometer seating die. There's lot's of space for it to clear that handle.

Thank you for detecting my concern and confirming use/need for this procedure.
There are reports of optional or aftermarket handles for increased clearance with tall seating dies.

32-40win
02-03-2022, 05:01 PM
THe old Bonanza Co-Ax has a shorter stroke and yoke than the Forster ones, there have been two updates done by Forster, so, some of the micrometer seater dies may not work in it, may want to check with Forster, sure they know the what is what on that. I expect on a 22-250, you shud be ok, except with the the Hornady one with the long micrometer, that ain't going to fly on a Bonanza.

6.5 shooter
02-03-2022, 09:33 PM
If I understood a guy on Utube Ultimate Reloader ( he reviews a lot of stuff) his take on co axil presses is for best results you should be using a "floating" style die such as Lee and some others that have "O" rings in the locking nut. I believe he mentioned something about the shell holder as well.

I really did not pay a lot of attention to the remarks because I was much more interested in the Zero press he was reviewing from Area 419. But it maybe something you should look into just incase.

Dmay
02-04-2022, 06:48 AM
If I understood a guy on Utube Ultimate Reloader ( he reviews a lot of stuff) his take on co axil presses is for best results you should be using a "floating" style die such as Lee and some others that have "O" rings in the locking nut.

Nope not at all. Any die you install in the Co-ax basically becomes "floating". That is the beauty of the machine, and why it has a reputation for building concentric ammo.

6.5 shooter
02-04-2022, 10:41 AM
I stand corrected :)

quasi
02-09-2022, 09:36 PM
some non Bonanza-Forster rings are to thick to fit my old Bonanza Co-ax.