PDA

View Full Version : travers ice 3 trucks thru the ice

cujo1969
02-04-2022, 01:00 PM
https://www.vulcanadvocate.com/news/local-news/rcmp-asking-public-to-avoid-driving-vehicles-onto-ice-covered-local-lakes
anyone know where this was at on lake

DiabeticKripple
02-04-2022, 01:08 PM
Most likely north end by the spillway. Lots of vehicles access the lake there.

The lake froze late this year and the weather has been fairly mild. I haven’t been down to the cabin this winter, so I don’t know how much ice is there, but I bet it isn’t quality ice.

anthony5
02-04-2022, 01:30 PM
Over 20" of good ice last week in the north arm, haven't been there lately tho. Temps this week should have kept in decent shape, not sure about next week:thinking-006:

DiabeticKripple
02-04-2022, 01:42 PM
There are lots of springs along the shores too. MIL and FIL went through one on the RZR about 10 years ago. 20” of good ice on each side where they went in.

anthony5
02-04-2022, 03:38 PM
Any idea where these springs might be? I have been icefishing that area for over 40 years, have never encountered one and never want to.

Jayhaud
02-04-2022, 04:27 PM
No the vehicles went through by the pressure ridge just south west off the little bible camp, we were just pulling onto the ice when it happened. Apparently the same thing happened at McGregor the other week.

anthony5
02-04-2022, 05:13 PM
No the vehicles went through by the pressure ridge just south west off the little bible camp, we were just pulling onto the ice when it happened. Apparently the same thing happened at McGregor the other week.
Did you happen to get any pics of the breaker? There's been some dandy ones there in the past.

Jayhaud
02-04-2022, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately I do not, one of the boys was pinched between the door and truck while trying to evac and went for swim so they were all getting warmed up in my vehicle.

DiabeticKripple
02-04-2022, 06:58 PM

The bible camp next to the resort?

Jayhaud
02-04-2022, 08:14 PM
Yeah so basically from the boat launch at the camp/resort, they went left and were headed southwest across the lake. Its very apparent to see, It was trending northwest across the whole lake. I highlighted where they went through

Dale S
02-04-2022, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately I do not, one of the boys was pinched between the door and truck while trying to evac and went for swim so they were all getting warmed up in my vehicle.

Good on you for stepping up.

spirit4u
02-05-2022, 12:05 PM
How do you get current google pictures?

CNP
02-05-2022, 04:22 PM

You don't :) Google earth may update certain locations monthly and other locations may not be updated for years.

AlbertanGP
02-05-2022, 07:52 PM

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/

CardiacCowboy
02-05-2022, 09:25 PM
Is there some way of looking out for pressure ridges? Especially if ice covered

anthony5
02-05-2022, 10:30 PM
Is there some way of looking out for pressure ridges? Especially if ice covered
Not an expert by any means, but I have encountered and have seen many in my days of icefishing S AB reservoirs. I'm not afraid to drive on 12" of ice or 20" of ice if the conditions are right. First thing to look for is a rise in the in the ice surface, maybe 2" to 12 " that can extend from one side of the area to another in multiple directions, can be 30yds long to 1 mile long depending on the body of water you are on. They can be very distinguishable in an area with little or no snow( white ice). If there is heavy snow cover they can be hard to pick out early, after a bit they will become quite easy to see if there is high winds and heavy snow load, not always but usually. If you see any unusual ice formations avoid at all costs with a vehicle. I am comfortable with the area I travel and very aware of where the breakers usually form and like a hawk, I survey the situation very carefully. Just driving around willy nilly can be a recipe for disaster in any type of vehicle if you are not familiar with any type of water body. Hope this gives you an idea of what to be on the lookout for.

Any other questions you may have just pm me and we can go over more details.

LUNKDAWGEH
02-06-2022, 09:23 AM
Unfortunately I do not, one of the boys was pinched between the door and truck while trying to evac and went for swim so they were all getting warmed up in my vehicle.Wow. Nicely done. Get his guy some sort of citizen of the year award!

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk

roper1
02-06-2022, 09:00 PM
Hope the drivers didn't have too much personal in their vehicles, I would lose more than just my truck if it happened to me. Be a PIA waiting for spring & insurance, etc. Tough deal on fellow sportsmen!!

ORV
02-07-2022, 11:30 AM

Any idea where at McGregor?

Jayhaud
02-21-2022, 09:31 PM
Any idea where at McGregor?

No but it was another ridge as well.