PDA

View Full Version : 338 Federal build - Rebore or rebarrel?

Positrac
02-06-2022, 06:39 PM
I had a Sako Greywolf in 338 Federal quite a few years ago that I was talked out of and I’ve kicked my arse for making that decision ever since. It was a beautiful rifle and clover-leafed 210gr Partitions in the Federal factory ammo. The only down side to it was that it was a bit on the heavy side in my mind.

So, I’ve decided to have a new 338 Federal put together. I’m a big fan of the older Browning A-bolt II’s so after a bit of looking I found a one-owner stainless stalker in .243 that was in mint shape for a decent price. I know that Brownings are not everyone’s cup of tea but after having a couple dozen different rifles in various makes over the last 10 years I’m going back to what I was always happy with. Some guys like blondes and some like brunettes. To each their own.

This won’t be a do-all rifle although it could be out to 300 yards. I do a lot of timber hunting or hunting on the river so I’m looking for a quick handling, short range rifle that I could shoot anything from deer to moose with. I like the 338 Federal because you can get better than 30-06 velocity out of a short action rifle when using 200+ grain bullets out to that 300 yard mark. It also seems a bit more forgiving in regards to velocity loss out of a short barrel.

So, my reason for posting was I’m trying to determine if I should go with a new barrel or go with a re-bore?

I have a machinist that I know and trust that has installed a ton of new barrels and has even done quite a few on stainless Brownings. He doesn’t do the re-bores himself and because of that doesn’t have a lot of info on who is presently doing them or what to expect from having a stock barrel rebored. I know there can be downsides to the rebores because it really comes down to the quality of the original barrel and how well the rebore turns out. I do like the idea of keeping the rifle looking stock. If going to a new barrel I’d probably be looking at having KS Arms turn one out with the same contour and once installed the barrel and action would be bead blasted with the same finish so I expect they would probably look close enough once done that I’d be happy with it.

This will be a rifle I plan to use for the rest of my days for it’s intended purpose so I’m more concerned with getting it right the first time and not so much about cost with the finished product. I’ve searched high and low for info on rebores but most the threads are getting old so I don’t really have any up to date info on who may be doing them.

marky_mark
02-06-2022, 06:55 PM
Rebarrel

Twisted Canuck
02-06-2022, 06:56 PM
I'm actually having KS build me a rifle in .338 Federal, ordered back in November, it's all done but the paint job on the Wildcat stock. Hopefully I can pick it up this week. Personally, I'd say talk to KS and get yourself a new barrel. It will be my first go with the .338, and my thinking on it reflects exactly what you said. Short action with good thump.

fps plus
02-06-2022, 07:09 PM
I would rebarrel .

Interesting I gave up taking off barrels off the original stainless a-bolts as I tore the threads off a receiver removing a barrel . Chrome moly ( blued ) were never a problem

Positrac
02-06-2022, 07:53 PM
I would rebarrel .

Interesting I gave up taking off barrels off the original stainless a-bolts as I tore the threads off a receiver removing a barrel . Chrome moly ( blued ) were never a problem

That was my original concern also but I’ve since been led to believe it can be done successfully.

Either way I believe the barrel needs to come off for a rebore also.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Positrac
02-06-2022, 07:57 PM
I'm actually having KS build me a rifle in .338 Federal, ordered back in November, it's all done but the paint job on the Wildcat stock. Hopefully I can pick it up this week. Personally, I'd say talk to KS and get yourself a new barrel. It will be my first go with the .338, and my thinking on it reflects exactly what you said. Short action with good thump.

You reloading TC or buying factory ammo?

I just picked up 6 boxes of Federal 210 Nosler Partition factory ammo from Lone Butte Sporting Goods just outside of 100 Mile House in BC. It’s getting harder to come by factory options for loaded ammo and my last 338 Fed loved them.

Twisted Canuck
02-06-2022, 08:05 PM
You reloading TC or buying factory ammo?

I just picked up 6 boxes of Federal 210 Nosler Partition factory ammo from Lone Butte Sporting Goods just outside of 100 Mile House in BC. It’s getting harder to come by factory options for loaded ammo and my last 338 Fed loved them.

I actually bought 5 different flavors of factory ammo, 14 boxes all in, to start out with and see what it likes. It was hard to find, absolutely. Got one box locally, and some from Epps, some from the Gun Dealer in NS (they still have 27 boxes of 200 gr Trophy Bonded fyi).

So I have 180 gr Accubonds x 2, 200 gr Fusions x 3, 200 gr Powerpoint blue box x 3, 200 gr Trophy Bonded x 3, and 210 gr Partitions x 3.

Should keep me busy for a while. I can't see setting up to reload for my needs. I expect the Partitions and Trophy Bonded will be my preferred hunting bullet for bigger bodies, the Fusion or the Accubond for deer/bear. But, it all depends how they shoot. I like options.

As a side note, I've been thinking about a .338 Federal for about ten years but just never quite got committed to the idea. So finally I just bought some ammo. Then, I *had* to get a rifle built....:lol:

Positrac
02-06-2022, 08:16 PM
As a side note, I've been thinking about a .338 Federal for about ten years but just never quite got committed to the idea. So finally I just bought some ammo. Then, I *had* to get a rifle built....:lol:

Lol. I’ve got 8 boxes of factory ammo myself and still no rifle so I know where you’re coming from…

Dean2
02-07-2022, 08:55 AM
Another vote for re-barrel. To me you don't save enough doing a re-bore and re-chamber to make it worth the time, unless the prices have come down. If I was looking to save money I would order a prefit, but with the great barrels available locally, and for very competitive prices, I would go with KS or another Canadian maker. You will love the 338 Federal for your intended purpose.

Jerry D
02-07-2022, 07:28 PM
Go with a new barrel.

I really like the abolts as well regardless of their design. They function really nice! A staggered magazine that actually works.

I like the hinged floorplate detachable magazine. It’s like the best of both worlds. Triggers are awesome. I did install the heavier of the two springs timney offers in mine.

Bolts are smooth as well.

It will be an awesome rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Positrac
02-07-2022, 08:48 PM
New barrel it is.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Positrac
02-25-2022, 10:20 PM
The original stainless barrel was dropped off at KS Arms. They are going to turn a new stainless 338 barrel the same contour as the original.

No issues getting the original A-bolt II stainless barrel off. That was the only reason I asked about the rebore. The internet is full of stories of the original stainless Browning barrels picking up when being removed thus wrecking the original threads. I wasn’t sure if the barrel had to be split from the action for a rebore but I’ve been led to believe it still needs to come off.

Twisted Canuck
02-25-2022, 10:33 PM
Excellent! I am *still* anxiously awaiting my rifle from KS. It was all done except for the paintjob on the Wildcat stock over 3 weeks ago. Hoping to get it next week......338 Federal should be an excellent cartridge.

REMINGTON JIM
02-25-2022, 10:36 PM
Great to Hear POSI TRAC ! My Tikka SS Lite 338 Fed is one of my most FAV rifles i have ! KS arms is supposed to make REAL Good Barrels :)
Post up some pics after its done Please . RJ

Positrac
02-25-2022, 10:57 PM
Great to Hear POSI TRAC ! My Tikka SS Lite 338 Fed is one of my most FAV rifles i have ! KS arms is supposed to make REAL Good Barrels :)
Post up some pics after its done Please . RJ

Will do RJ.

senderomag
02-26-2022, 06:45 AM
Excellent! I am *still* anxiously awaiting my rifle from KS. It was all done except for the paintjob on the Wildcat stock over 3 weeks ago. Hoping to get it next week......338 Federal should be an excellent cartridge.

Them boys blow through deadlines like there’s no tomorrow. I’d have to go through the emails but it was at least two times they said my rifle would be ready and it never was.

I would go with Dennis lair in Sask next time. I hear he offers a half inch guarantee on his builds

Twisted Canuck
02-26-2022, 07:02 AM
They actually haven't blown their deadline at all. I was told it would be ready in early March. Calendar says it's still February. They got it put together early actually, action bedded and fit to the Wildcat stock. That's all that's left to do, is paint the stock at this point, and put it back together. I've got no complaints.

marky_mark
02-26-2022, 07:32 AM
With all the supply chain shortages and super high demand. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a little behind schedule. But that’s not the end of the world.

Dean2
02-26-2022, 07:43 AM
KS Arms has always been excellent to deal with, and Karl always has been long before he was KS. Local shop, local made high quality barrels, and quality builds in relatively short time frames. I have had to wait as much as a year to get a barrel from some of the U.S. makers, never had that issue with KS. Nor have 99% of the people I ever saw that dealt with KS.

Sounds like you had one gun built by them that according to you went over schedule. It is one of the major issued I have with the Internet where people let their one of experience expand to try to represent it as a common thing or general trend. There are plenty of people with completely different experiences, and on multiple builds.

270person
02-26-2022, 07:50 AM
Excellent! I am *still* anxiously awaiting my rifle from KS. It was all done except for the paintjob on the Wildcat stock over 3 weeks ago.

I happened to be in Wildcat a couple of days ago and got a sneak peak at the paint pattern you chose for your stock. Nice.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=2254&pictureid=11650

sns2
02-26-2022, 08:47 AM
I happened to be in Wildcat a couple of days ago and got a sneak peak at the paint pattern you chose for your stock. Nice.

bahahahahaha

tirebob
02-26-2022, 08:56 AM

Tom is confident enough in his masculinity to not be bothered by the rainbow paint... It was when I was told he was getting an etching of his idols face laser cut into the stock that I was thrown off!

https://edge.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/toronto-pride-parade-20160703.jpg

sns2
02-26-2022, 09:04 AM
TC is confident in this area. He was out late last night with his bingo buddies. He even sent me a pic. Who am I to judge? He's sleeping late cuz he and the girls went out for drinks after bingo.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220226/b900a6a586b483997bfb751ea058e719.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Twisted Canuck
02-26-2022, 09:51 AM
All 3 of you suck. I'm gonna take the high road and just leave it there. Pecker heads. All 3 of you.

REMINGTON JIM
09-05-2022, 09:50 AM
Will do RJ.

Any update on your 338 Federal project :). RJ

REMINGTON JIM
09-05-2022, 09:56 AM
Hey TWISTED. :). Have you a report for me and positrac on your New 338 Fed rifle yet . RJ

Positrac
09-05-2022, 09:56 AM
Any update on your 338 Federal project :). RJ

Pretty much all done RJ. I haven’t see it in person yet but I should have it in my hands soon.

It’s just a Browning A-bolt II in .243 that I had re-barrelled by a gun smith and good buddy. KS Arms contoured the barrel to match the original so to look at it it doesn’t look any different than a stock stainless stalker. I’m a fan of the A-bolt II’s so that’s what I wanted. Probably not to everyone’s taste but that’s ok.

I’ll post up some pics once it’s all together and in my hands.

REMINGTON JIM
09-05-2022, 10:07 AM
Pretty much all done RJ. I haven’t see it in person yet but I should have it in my hands soon.

It’s just a Browning A-bolt II in .243 that I had re-barrelled by a gun smith and good buddy. KS Arms contoured the barrel to match the original so to look at it it doesn’t look any different than a stock stainless stalker. I’m a fan of the A-bolt II’s so that’s what I wanted. Probably not to everyone’s taste but that’s ok.

I’ll post up some pics once it’s all together and in my hands.

Actually that’s a Kool build - A Bolt 11 action is Fine . Really looking forward to seeing HOW well Karl’s barrel shoots . :) RJ

roper1
09-05-2022, 10:11 AM
I've had a couple A-bolts, quite liked them, but I'm not fussy.:) They are both gone & not replaced though. One was in a 300WM, that gun could really shoot!

Twisted Canuck
09-05-2022, 11:38 AM
Hey TWISTED. :). Have you a report for me and positrac on your New 338 Fed rifle yet . RJ

It shoots pretty damn good, I was banging a 4" gong at 500 yards with it. I tried it out on a big angus bull a few months ago. Worked like a darn, right between the eyes. I will hopefully get a chance to try it on a nice elk next month. And then I can tell you how it does in the woods. :)

REMINGTON JIM
09-05-2022, 11:40 AM
It shoots pretty damn good, I was banging a 4" gong at 500 yards with it. I tried it out on a big angus bull a few months ago. Worked like a darn, right between the eyes. I will hopefully get a chance to try it on a nice elk next month. And then I can tell you how it does in the woods. :)

Great to Hear ! Kool and what bullet and load r u using ? Cam Pm me if you like :) RJ

Positrac
09-05-2022, 11:58 AM
I've had a couple A-bolts, quite liked them, but I'm not fussy.:) They are both gone & not replaced though. One was in a 300WM, that gun could really shoot!

I've had a laundry list of different riffles from bottom end Savages right up through quality Sakos and Weatherbys with a short lived Fierce being the most expensive single rifle I've had. I keep going back to Browning's and I much prefer a stainless stalker A-bolt II over the X-bolt so that's what I'm sticking with. Nothing fancy about them and I see the hate online for them all the time but in the end they work for me and I'm happy with the familiarity of them. Bang...flop...

Really looking forward to seeing how this one shoots with the 22" KS Arms barrel on it.

sns2
09-05-2022, 12:05 PM
I've had a laundry list of different riffles from bottom end Savages right up through quality Sakos and Weatherbys with a short lived Fierce being the most expensive single rifle I've had. I keep going back to Browning's and I much prefer a stainless stalker A-bolt II over the X-bolt so that's what I'm sticking with. Nothing fancy about them and I see the hate online for them all the time but in the end they work for me and I'm happy with the familiarity of them. Bang...flop...

Really looking forward to seeing how this one shoots with the 22" KS Arms barrel on it.

I have 5 boxes of premium ammo for a 338 fed for sale. Edmonton pickup.

Twisted Canuck
09-05-2022, 12:05 PM
Great to Hear ! Kool and what bullet and load r u using ? Cam Pm me if you like :) RJ

Just using factory ammo, Federal Premium 200 gr Trophy Bonded Tip bullet, getting about 2620 fps with it. It is gonna work dandy I think. The 210 gr partitions didn't group as well, and the 200 gr Trophy Copper were running slower (2580 fps). I had concerns about proper expansion at 300+ yards, I know they like to be driven a little quicker then the .338 Federal at those ranges.

Twisted Canuck
09-05-2022, 12:07 PM

I guess then Posi hasn't picked them up yet...:lol:

sns2
09-05-2022, 12:10 PM
I guess then Posi hasn't picked them up yet...:lol:

You babbling again? Not a damn clue what you’re talking about.

Positrac
09-05-2022, 12:28 PM

Nice. Put my name on them…😃

sns2
09-05-2022, 12:37 PM
Nice. Put my name on them…😃

Sold! Done deal:)

partsman
09-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Sounds like a great rifle and caliber.

I recently bought a 1987 Remington model 700 classic in 338 win mag.

I am one that likes the early browning BBR, had one in 270 winchester from when they first came out and recently bought another in 30/06, like the tang safety and nine locking lugs, they are stout and accurate.

MountainTi
09-11-2022, 01:59 PM
I am one that likes the early browning BBR, had one in 270 winchester from when they first came out and recently bought another in 30/06, like the tang safety and nine locking lugs, they are stout and accurate.

Always like the BBR action as well. Very similar to the Mark V. Both very stout.
Still have a BBR in .270 as well as one in .338 win

slopeshunter
09-11-2022, 10:07 PM

Nice to see there’s others who like the A-bolts. I still have one in 30.06 I bought in the early 90’s I hold onto with thoughts of rebarelling to something else one day.