PDA

View Full Version : Pinniped Developments

IronNoggin
02-10-2022, 11:59 AM
MP Small tables legislation to improve sustainability of fish stocks

February 9, 2022

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ottawa, ON — Today, Clifford Small, Conservative Member of Parliament for Coast of Bays—Central—Notre Dame, introduced Bill C-251, the Federal Framework on the Conservation of Fish Stocks and management of Pinnipeds Act, to promote the sustainability of Canada’s fish stocks.

Bill C-251 will ensure that conservation and protection of marine ecosystems are built into a new federal framework while opening the door for businesses and Indigenous communities to sell and trade pinniped products.

The Conservative Party of Canada supports a framework to provide business owners, harvesters, and Indigenous groups with guidance and predictability regarding the impact of pinniped populations on fish stocks.

“Healthy marine stocks ensure a vibrant fisheries economy, and the long-term sustainability of ecosystems and food chains in the ocean,” said M.P. Small. “For too long, Canadians whose livelihoods depend on healthy fish stocks, have witnessed the failure of conservation measures to ensure the sustainability of those stocks.”

“This legislation will provide an evidence-based framework to improve marine conservation and ensure the health of marine ecosystems that so many livelihoods on all coasts depend on,” concluded Small.

The Bill:

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/44-1/bill/C-251/first-reading

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
03-20-2022, 12:09 PM
Our team has been rallying the MP's pretty hard on this Bill.
To date, we have the full support of the Conservatives and the Bloq.

And surprisingly enough, there is quite the handful of Liberals supporting it as well.
The latter started off in the Maritimes, but has now grown.

If YOU want to help make a difference and your MP happens to be NDP or Liberal, send them an email or letter suggesting they support Bill C - 251 when it comes up for second reading (April 27).

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
04-21-2022, 12:50 PM
For all those who thought this could never happen in BC, I strongly suggest you pay attention to the second reading of Bill C 251 next Wednesday. :)

And if you are in support yourself, a quick Email or letter to your own MP encouraging them to follow suit would certainly be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
04-28-2022, 04:54 PM
Interesting to see the liberal parliamentary secretary to the government leader come out in support as well as the balance of all parties speaking in favor.

Stay Tuned...
Nog

IronNoggin
06-08-2022, 03:24 PM
Second Reading of Bill C 251 is up at 2:30pm today: http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/

IronNoggin
06-15-2022, 02:00 PM
The vote was being held today.
Of those actually present in the house it appeared to be a dead heat.
When they sat idle for the electronic vote to be tallied it went on too long.

Then the announcement that there was "technical difficulties" with the electronic vote system.

Voting therefore stood down until the fall...

UnReal.
Nog

3blade
06-18-2022, 09:55 PM
For all those who thought this could never happen in BC, I strongly suggest you pay attention to the second reading of Bill C 251 next Wednesday. :)

And if you are in support yourself, a quick Email or letter to your own MP encouraging them to follow suit would certainly be appreciated.

Cheers,
Nog

You were saying? :lol: sorry Matt this is just too funny. Pretty much exactly what I would expect from the BC govt.

Want to bet the Green Party knows someone who installed that system…

IronNoggin
06-19-2022, 01:29 PM
You were saying? :lol: sorry Matt this is just too funny. Pretty much exactly what I would expect from the BC govt.

What you find "funny" I find both disgusting & pathetic.

BTW, it's the Feds here, NOT the fools at the helm of the province...

Nog