PDA

View Full Version : Be careful on the ice this weekend.

AlbertanGP
02-11-2022, 07:28 AM
Just sitting out on the water and the ice is cracking like crazy. The snow is melted down to bare ice and there are cracks everywhere. My holes from last weekend only had a skim of ice. Be really careful if you’re driving on.

58thecat
02-11-2022, 07:51 AM
Just sitting out on the water and the ice is cracking like crazy. The snow is melted down to bare ice and there are cracks everywhere. My holes from last weekend only had a skim of ice. Be really careful if you’re driving on.

We are getting odd temperatures here too but now we are sitting at -15 so hopefully all that slush/water freezes solid over the next few days.
Got snow overnight but just a skiff....enough to cover potential hazards.:(

LUNKDAWGEH
02-11-2022, 09:03 AM
Drove into the middle of Lake Newell yesterday from the Northwest to rescue my buddies shack that got blown out to sea...

I walked ahead of him and drilled holes occasionally.... Roughly 2ft of ice into the middle but there was a huge heave just beyond where the shack was which looked impassible.

Lots of meltwater on top, and flowing water through the cracks is eating away at the ice.

Very nerve wracking knowing Newell's reputation.

We towed it off the lake completely.

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk

Crankbait
02-12-2022, 09:40 AM
Ice is starting to change as if it were late March. Still black but a good eight inches of fracturing. The remainder of February and the chinooks have the upper hand right now. This regards southern Alberta... Not sure about central and northern parts. It's when ice gets quiet. If you're new to the sport of ice fishing, now is a good time to learn what good and bad ice looks like e.g., water seepage/greytop,, aerated ice,, ridge structure,, how weed beds for ice and what it looks like. Knowledge is key and makes for pleasant future fishing days on the ice.

AlbertanGP
02-13-2022, 06:30 PM
We're supposed to get snow all week, but it's not getting very cold. With all the YouTube hero wannabes cutting sight holes with a Nils saw or punching three of four connected 10" holes, gonna have to be very careful where you step next weekend... :scared0018:

58thecat
02-13-2022, 06:38 PM
We got a -20 dip a few nights ago which froze things up nice, all that slush from warmer days and deep ruts made from trucks etc just turned the lake in areas of much use like a wash board but we got snow coming which will fill that crap up.

Was at the hump and had 20-23” of ice thickness.:sHa_shakeshout:

AlbertanGP
02-13-2022, 06:50 PM
We got a -20 dip a few nights ago which froze things up nice, all that slush from warmer days and deep ruts made from trucks etc just turned the lake in areas of much use like a wash board but we got snow coming which will fill that crap up.

Was at the hump and had 20-23” of ice thickness.:sHa_shakeshout:

Nice! Looking forward to getting back out in a few more weeks. Mat says my new rod will be ready too. :bad_boys_20: