PDA

View Full Version : Battery for Minkota

Rick.
09-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Hello All. I just started boating and have a question about battery life. My boat is a 14 foot aluminum fairly heavy. I have a 15 HP. motor for movng around lake from one spot to another. I have an older minkota (5 foreword, 3 reverse) that is in good condition. Batteries I've looked at are rated in amp. hrs. How many amp. hrs. are required for a day on the lake with using the minkota for slow trolling? I hope I've provided the right information. Let me know if I haven"t. Thanks, Rick.

nevercatchmuch
09-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I had a similar question but don't have a kicker motor to move from place to place. This was the answer from minkota directly. They've got a website and email if you want to double check

We recommend a ‘group 27 ‘ deep cycle marine battery. Your 55lb thrust motor draws 50amps and the group 27 has 105amp draw and your motor will get about 2 hours on high speed.

seahawkfisher
09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
i use a group 27 (el cheapo energizer from wallyworld) and can get many hours of slow trolling out of it in my 16.5' boat. last weekend i used it for 6 hours in the wind and only went through 20% (my motor has the maximizer on it though)
cheers

hockey1099
09-07-2009, 10:47 PM
i have a 25hp on a 14 aluminum and can troll just fine with the motor. Do you really need the electric? Only time i think i would use it is around he doc for manuvering

Rick.
09-08-2009, 11:07 PM
i have a 25hp on a 14 aluminum and can troll just fine with the motor. Do you really need the electric? Only time i think i would use it is around he doc for manuvering

Well, can't say that I actually need it but I have it and there are times when I just want to back up or move forward 10 to 20 feet and I find the electric is handy rather than starting my motor. As well it is back up if my motor quits. Also if I had the right battery I'm sure I would use the minkota to troll. Rick.

bsnyder
09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
:wave:we use the electric to troll for walleye all the time, very good for perfect slow presentation.A must for tournys!!!:Dwe use a 24 volt systemand get about 6 hrs out of it if everything is working(21 ' pro-v )next time will be a 36v set up:Dnot happy with battery life with Trojan batteries though:tongue2: