PDA

View Full Version : Are Redding Dies Worth the Extra Money

Dean2
02-12-2022, 03:03 PM
I have had a few guys tell me recently that spending the extra dollars for high end dies is a waste of money. There really isn't any difference. I do not agree.

You spent a ton on a rig to shoot long range or precision target work. Buy the best dies you can find. I own RCBS dies; for loading 30-06 for a Milsurp and shooting open sights to 300 yards, they are fine. For 1000 yard rifle I use Redding, Wilson etc. competition dies. Anyone that tells you there is no difference doesn't know what they are talking about.

Resizing 460 Weatherby to 338-378. Look closely at the shoulder of the 3rd case from the right. That is a 378 Redding FL sizing die that I ran the second from the right case through. 2nd from the right is the 460 case run through the 378 seating die with the guts removed.

Now look at the 4th from right, that one is the 3rd from right run partially through RCBS 338 seating die, guts removed. Now 5th from right is 4th run all the way through the 338 RCBS seating die and 6th is run all the way in the RDBS FL sizing die.

Notice how different the shoulder on the far left finished case is compared to the 3rd from the right. 3rd has the correct Weatherby radius shoulder on it. The far left finished case has a flat conventional shoulder. Pretty clear example of the difference in the precision of the Redding versus RCBS dies. At the time the only 338-378 dies I could get were RCBS, I now have Redding dies for the 338-378.

https://i.imgur.com/QKpMtTT.jpg

elkhunter11
02-12-2022, 04:11 PM
I started out with RCBS, and I tried Lyman and Hornady along the way, and I used a friends LEE dies once, now every set of dies that I own is Redding, and almost all are bushing dies. Every set of dies that I own has a micrometer seating die.

stob
02-12-2022, 04:24 PM
Redding...i have Lee collet and crimp dies as well

Pathfinder76
02-12-2022, 04:27 PM
Wilson and Whidden make exceptional FL sizing dies.

obsessed1
02-12-2022, 04:35 PM
I use rcbs and lee. Maybe the more expensive dies would make a difference?? Maybe not..I'm not a BR shooter but using hunter class factory rifles I can shoot sub moa out past 1k... never really felt the need to spend the extra$ on better dies. I'd rather buy components...not saying reddings are not worth it or that they arnt better than rcbs or lee just that I personally havent seen the need... what do they do so much better for std calibers than a properly set up lee or rcbs? I have all the case measuring tools, concentricity tools ect and find no need for anything more consistent...and targets speak for how well the reloads actually work. I do modify my lee dies by putting in a set screw on the jamb nut so once set it can be returned to the exact setting everytime. I also use dummy rounds w each type of bullet to set my sweater die to exactly the same every time as well...i suppose my initial die set up time might be a bit time consuming but that's a once and done deal. Am I missing something?

catnthehat
02-12-2022, 04:56 PM
I have many different brands of dies, but the ones I have seen the most issues with were Hornady.
I have been using a Frankfurt Arsenal universal inline seating die of late , but don't use it for my 244RemAI brass as it tends to crush the shoulders of the cases.
It works fine for my .223, 308 280AI and the 338/378 I tested it in however. It also has a micrometer top that we have tested against my RCBS and Redding micrometer seating dies .
I prefer a micrometer seating die , especially when working up a load at the range.
I like the Redding bushing dies, they are eSu to adjust, are accurate, and easy to use.
That being said, if I could get a Lee off yhe shelf or have to wait months for a Redding, I would go to the store and buy the Lee:)
Cat

marky_mark
02-12-2022, 07:16 PM
They worked 👍
Looks awesome

Salavee
02-12-2022, 07:20 PM
I think it depends on the final outcome of your cartridges.0verall, of all the dies I have, I prefer the Redding. If I want the best ammo I'm capable of producing I go with a Redding Deluxe Die set, If its just good ammo I want, RCBS does the job. For my special ctdgs where I'm looking for the most precision, I have a micrometer seating die and a Lee collet die for each one.. FWIW I place Dies in this order for mainstream Mfg's: A few xtra $ for a rather expensive passtime really doesn't amount to much.

1 Redding
2 Hornady
3 RCBS
4 Lee

barsik
02-12-2022, 08:04 PM
forster and dillon make pretty good dies too.

Pioneer2
02-12-2022, 09:32 PM
Are a must have for the 7.5x55 K-31.I know Hornady makes them too but they are not the same quality IMO.

hogie
02-12-2022, 09:57 PM
Are a must have for the 7.5x55 K-31.I know Hornady makes them too but they are not the same quality IMO.

I use RCBS for that caliber and seem to have no issues. What is Redding doing better?

Redding makes good quality stuff, I really can't say that I'm going to replace all my RCBS dies with them.

Even have had Lee dies work well.

Pioneer2
02-13-2022, 05:23 AM
Were one of the only dies properly cut for the K31 chamber although Hornady also came out with a set cut specifically for that chamber. On the Swiss Rifles forum they recommend Redding.Some get by with others ,personally I wouldn't own Lee dies. A limited run of new Ruag /RWS boxer primed brass just came in to Calgary for the 7.5x55 if anyone needs some.
https://store.theshootingcentre.com/reloading/brass/

catnthehat
02-13-2022, 07:04 AM
People like to yet Lee dies, yet I know several sst national championship winners and World champio ship competitors who like the collet die.
I have nothing against them and use them a lot.
But then, my favorite rifles to work on are Savage 110's.....
Cat

Pioneer2
02-13-2022, 07:38 AM
I guess .....................Ford/Chevy

DLab
02-13-2022, 08:20 AM
Wilson and Whidden make exceptional FL sizing dies.
I agree. I own or have owned every die brand mentioned in this thread, when I bought my first Wilson FLS die for 6 Dasher I was initially impressed with the exterior finish but the tight tolerances on the threads and and overall fit and finish sold me, they are a beautifully made die.
I use Wilson arbor seating dies for all my BR guns.
Redding makes good dies, probably the brand I have the most of, Hornady makes a pretty good die for the cost ,no complaints. I just sized some .284 Win. Lapua brass with a Hornady FLS bushing and they measured up near perfect fit for this particular chamber. I have some RCBS for hunting rounds and they are certainly adequate for that purpose, but as far as regular dies go ,I'll take Hornady over RCBS.
I own 1 set of Lee dies for my .204 Ruger, Collet neck sizer, FLS and seater which are on a Lee Challenger press, that's all it's used for but it does the job.

These days though it comes down to what's available if a person needs them in the near future, rather than 6-12 months, also cost becomes a factor on some cartridges/ die brands.

marxman
02-14-2022, 06:34 AM
You wont know if that rcbs die makes the correct shoulder till you shoot it and resize it again. My rcbs 300 wby die makes the correct shoulder and my brass is good for lots of reloads.

Dean2
02-14-2022, 07:23 AM
You wont know if that rcbs die makes the correct shoulder till you shoot it and resize it again. My rcbs 300 wby die makes the correct shoulder and my brass is good for lots of reloads.

I can clearly see the proper shoulder on the Redding case and a flat shoulder on the RCBS case. Will it fire from to shape, yes I believe it will but the point I was making was about the precision with which the die is made, not can you get by with RCBS dies. Obviously RCBS, Lee, Hornady dies work and do a decent job for tens of thousands or they wouldn't still be in business. My perspective, I have dies that were bought in 68, still using them. The amortised cost of my dies means I will pay the extra for the top quality dies, as they make a difference in the quality of the round produced.

6MT
02-14-2022, 07:42 AM
Redding dies are far from the top dies out there, IMHO. Their biggest problem is price and availability. Quality is decent. I have a few Redding dies. They are not my first choice in either straight walled or bottle neck cases.

AI 6.5
02-14-2022, 08:45 AM
Redding dies are far from the top dies out there, IMHO. Their biggest problem is price and availability. Quality is decent. I have a few Redding dies. They are not my first choice in either straight walled or bottle neck cases.

Agree, Redding are good dies but far from the top. Just like most things, you get what you pay for. Also depends on what your intended purpose is and what you are trying to achieve out of your handloads.

marky_mark
02-14-2022, 10:59 AM
Redding dies are carried by a lot of stores
Unless your ordering them online or direct
The best quality dies your probably going to come across is redding