PDA

View Full Version : Power Auger purchase

skain11
02-15-2022, 01:48 PM
So after 20 years of hand augering it's time to get off my wallet and power up. Leaning to electric for ease of use and no fuel required. I'm not really a hole hopper so not too worried about daily battery capacity. But I am out about a dozen times a season with more coming as retirement gets closer.

The Fishin Hole has the ION R1 8" Ice auger on now for $700 plus $100 for carrying case. It has a Gen 1, 40V, 5 Amp-hour battery and charger.

There is also a Strikemaster 8" electric with the same size battery $750.

Not wanting to start a electric vs gas discussion, more hoping for some real life usage review of these augers.

And yes I have read a lot of the online reviews however I trust the AO team more than reviews written by a marketing department. Thanks in advance for your input.

AlbertanGP
02-15-2022, 01:59 PM
Both are good augers and very comparable. If you're not drilling many holes, you may want to look at the 24V StrikeMaster and maybe save some money.

You may also find this (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=405121&highlight=auger) thread helpful.

honker_clonker
02-15-2022, 02:28 PM
Strikemaster batteries claim ~ 1600" with a battery with a 8" flight. I realistically probably get 1300 with icing up, running auger in the hole to clear slush, etc etc. Bring a rubber mallet to get the ice off the blade area/prevent the ice from clogging by the support bars and you should be good to go. I think the plastic flight might resist icing up since it doesn't have the support bars but I haven't seen one in action yet. Not sure if I'd spend my money on a carrying case, just make sure you get a blade cover and away you go.

skain11
02-15-2022, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the link to your reviews AGP. Exactly what info I needed...headed to TFH today to see what is in stock.

ruffy71
02-15-2022, 03:17 PM
Hopefully not muddying the waters too much. But I went through all the reviews and posts on AO earlier this year shopping for my first auger purchase.

IF you do handy work, AND you are in the market for a new cordless drill...

I went with a Metabo 36 v drill and the woods auger from CT. A titch over 600 for all in, and it cuts just as fast as in Ion.

And I needed a new drill anyway.

Frank_NK28
02-15-2022, 06:17 PM
I cannot comment to the Ion as I've never owned or tried one but I have a SM and in my third season with it and am very happy with it. I have a 10". I like having that bit extra for the really cold days when the tops of the holes are freezing in. I'm currently cutting 33"-34" of ice on the small lakes we are fishing and it blazes right through without having to stop to clear shavings as I hear some complaining about.

PerchBuster
02-15-2022, 06:33 PM
I’ve been very happy with my Gen2 Ion 8” now for a few seasons but I wouldn’t hesitate on a StrikeMaster or any other brand really so long as it is electric as they are the only way to go now for me. I’ve pulled my guts out for years getting gas augers started and I’ve encountered virtually every problem with them over the years. Jiffy, Eskimo, Husqvarna, SM, I’ve had or used them all at one time or another. Whichever one you decide to go with I am sure you will become a huge fan of the ease of use and starting, no mixing, light weight, no flooding, no broken pull cords, reverse operation, no fumes in your shack and no gas dripping out on the lake just to name a few. Welcome to the Lithium age and tightlines!,

shawn
02-15-2022, 07:11 PM
I bought a wood adapter for my hand auger and a good Milwaukee drill. I have only used it one time but it worked really well and I did a bunch of holes. For the price of a electric auger you can get a whole Milwaukee cordless tool kit and adapter.

mooseknuckle
02-15-2022, 07:57 PM
Both are good augers and very comparable. If you're not drilling many holes, you may want to look at the 24V StrikeMaster and maybe save some money.

You may also find this (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=405121&highlight=auger) thread helpful.

X2 on this, if your a guy who only drills 10-12 holes a trio, the 24v would be great. And if you drive on can always plug in your truck.

skain11
02-16-2022, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the advice, to me that's the real value of this forum. I picked up the Strikemaster 24v from The Fishin Hole yesterday. All good although the user guide was only in french but not really needed. They did not have any extra batteries in stock. Maybe Cabelas for $150? Can't wait to hit the frozen ocean this weekend. I picked up 2 Lac St Anne Class B walleye tags for the first time. Fished last weekend near West Cove but only found the ever present pike. Any advice on other areas of the lake to check out are appreciated but I am good with self exploring. Cheers all

EZM
02-16-2022, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all the advice, to me that's the real value of this forum. I picked up the Strikemaster 24v from The Fishin Hole yesterday. All good although the user guide was only in french but not really needed. They did not have any extra batteries in stock. Maybe Cabelas for $150? Can't wait to hit the frozen ocean this weekend. I picked up 2 Lac St Anne Class B walleye tags for the first time. Fished last weekend near West Cove but only found the ever present pike. Any advice on other areas of the lake to check out are appreciated but I am good with self exploring. Cheers all

If you are like most of us .... we don't read French and don't read instructions or user guides either :sHa_shakeshout:

JohninAB
02-16-2022, 03:55 PM

I bought a Strikemaster 24v last year and only came with French instructions only too. Thought maybe they forgot the English instructions but guess not.

AlbertanGP
02-16-2022, 04:33 PM
One more reason to buy an ION... :)

skain11
02-16-2022, 05:12 PM
Also the TFH sales guy said that a seacan full of strikemaster products was on the barge that caught fire off Van isle and was lost at sea...not sure how to verify that but it's a good story to tell when there are shortages. And he told me that in English :D

OL_JR
02-16-2022, 08:26 PM
One more reason to buy an ION... :)

Lol knew that was coming... I beat the strikemaster drum quite a bit but can fully admit that they are making a pretty good auger these days.

Took them long enough though... hehe

russ
02-16-2022, 09:14 PM
So after 20 years of hand augering it's time to get off my wallet and power up. Leaning to electric for ease of use and no fuel required. I'm not really a hole hopper so not too worried about daily battery capacity. But I am out about a dozen times a season with more coming as retirement gets closer.

The Fishin Hole has the ION R1 8" Ice auger on now for $700 plus $100 for carrying case. It has a Gen 1, 40V, 5 Amp-hour battery and charger.

There is also a Strikemaster 8" electric with the same size battery $750.

Not wanting to start a electric vs gas discussion, more hoping for some real life usage review of these augers.

And yes I have read a lot of the online reviews however I trust the AO team more than reviews written by a marketing department. Thanks in advance for your input.

IMO, convert your hand auger to a brushless drill powered. At the end of the day, you'll have a drill and an ice auger. If you buy a dedicated ice auger, you have an ice auger and still need a drill. Just food for thought.

AlbertanGP
02-17-2022, 07:55 AM
Lol knew that was coming... I beat the strikemaster drum quite a bit but can fully admit that they are making a pretty good auger these days.

Took them long enough though... hehe

:bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:

AlbertanGP
02-17-2022, 07:56 AM
Also the TFH sales guy said that a seacan full of strikemaster products was on the barge that caught fire off Van isle and was lost at sea...not sure how to verify that but it's a good story to tell when there are shortages. And he told me that in English :D

Never really thought there was a shortage of them. Cabela's had a mountain of each at the front door back in November/December.

HuyFishin
02-17-2022, 11:09 AM
I would do either the 24v strikemaster or liteflite with drill or pistolbit with drill.

I love using the drill for tent pegs as well! Saves me so much time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk