PDA

View Full Version : Primer Shortages

Pioneer2
02-16-2022, 10:41 AM
Are the stores really having a hard time replenishing stock? Factory ammo seems to be hard to find in common calibers as well.

spurly
02-16-2022, 10:45 AM
Yes, and I think it will get worse in the coming months.

buckman
02-16-2022, 10:52 AM
Hoarders in the USA, here as well.As soon as stock comes in its gone fast.

Grizzly Adams1
02-16-2022, 11:14 AM
The Trucker blockade caused it. :lol:

Grizz

elkhunter11
02-16-2022, 01:47 PM
All components are more difficult to find, but primers are really getting scarce, especially shotgun primers. I always keep several years supply of primers for my rifle cartridges on hand, but going through over 5000 shotgun primers a year, I usually only have one extra case on hand. Luckily my last order was somehow duplicated, and I received a two year supply, as my supplier tells me that he is still waiting on backorders from a year ago.

fps plus
02-16-2022, 03:06 PM
Only thing that will solve this is enacting the Emergency Act !!

tikka250
02-16-2022, 03:07 PM
All components are more difficult to find, but primers are really getting scarce, especially shotgun primers. I always keep several years supply of primers for my rifle cartridges on hand, but going through over 5000 shotgun primers a year, I usually only have one extra case on hand. Luckily my last order was somehow duplicated, and I received a two year supply, as my supplier tells me that he is still waiting on backorders from a year ago.

How desperate are guys for shotgun primers? I think I could get my hands on a few if the price was right

elkhunter11
02-16-2022, 03:10 PM
How desperate are guys for shotgun primers? I think I could get my hands on a few if the price was right

I have this years target loads done, and enough left over for next year, so not desperate at all.

buckman
02-16-2022, 03:22 PM
Only thing that will solve this is enacting the Emergency Act !!

If Justin used it will be to block any and all ammo coming in,lets not give him and Billy bozo Blair any ideas!!

savage shooter
02-16-2022, 10:50 PM
No idea what you're talking about P&D has bricks of primers of all types. When I bought my brick the other day, I saw a tonne of them in the drawer that he opened to get mind.

They also have seemingly limitless amounts of common calibers.

elkhunter11
02-17-2022, 06:11 AM
No idea what you're talking about P&D has bricks of primers of all types. When I bought my brick the other day, I saw a tonne of them in the drawer that he opened to get mind.

They also have seemingly limitless amounts of common calibers.

So how many different brands and specific types of primers did you see? How many cases of 5000 primers total? I am seeing certain brands and certain types, but others have pretty much disappeared.

7magtime
02-17-2022, 08:55 AM
A friend of mine was doing a run to P&D in Edmonton last weekend so I got him to pick me up a few 100 packs of CCI 200 large rifle primers.
He said they had pretty good stock of primers there from what he saw......

elkhunter11
02-17-2022, 09:02 AM
A friend of mine was doing a run to P&D in Edmonton last weekend so I got him to pick me up a few 100 packs of CCI 200 large rifle primers.
He said they had pretty good stock of primers there from what he saw......

It comes down to what a person considers a good stock, I have never purchased less than a brick of primers, and with shotgun primers, never less than a case. If you use a few hundred primers per year, a case seems like a lot for a store to have ,if you use a case per year, then a case is not much for a store to have on hand.

schreyer
02-17-2022, 09:57 AM
Picked up 3 bricks of federal 215GM primers at P&D. They still had some more left after I bought.

7magtime
02-17-2022, 09:58 AM
It comes down to what a person considers a good stock, I have never purchased less than a brick of primers, and with shotgun primers, never less than a case. If you use a few hundred primers per year, a case seems like a lot for a store to have ,if you use a case per year, then a case is not much for a store to have on hand.

Agreed. Just thought I'd mention it for the lower volume shooters as last time I called P&D a few weeks ago they had next to nothing available for primers.
At this point, any stock of primers coming in is a good thing to know.....

elkhunter11
02-17-2022, 10:40 AM
Agreed. Just thought I'd mention it for the lower volume shooters as last time I called P&D a few weeks ago they had next to nothing available for primers.
At this point, any stock of primers coming in is a good thing to know.....

Yes, and when word gets out that a shipment came in , it is often cleaned out in days, or even hours. If you need something, you need to act fast. I am helping a couple of people to get into loading, and they have gone from shopping around for deals, to immediately buying what they need as aoon as they find that it is available.

Madcow
05-17-2022, 02:31 AM
Vista outdoors and Olin said in an email that retail primers won’t happen for a while as they are keeping it for production of ammo.

Ginex primers are now being redirected to the USA, and we are seeing some trickling still only because Campro threatened to sue the manufacturer.

PartTimeHunter
05-17-2022, 07:31 AM

^ This. It all goes by definition. I feel I am decently stocked for a couple three years of shooting for me with about 12K of various primers on hand. Hopefully enough to carry through this stupidity and last till prices moderate somewhat

elkhunter11
05-17-2022, 07:36 AM
^ This. It all goes by definition. I feel I am decently stocked for a couple three years of shooting for me with about 12K of various primers on hand. Hopefully enough to carry through this stupidity and last till prices moderate somewhat

There have been several shortages of powder and primers in the past although none this bad, but not once have I seen prices drop as the supply caught up. The prices stop increasing so much, but they don't drop.

Prairiekid
05-20-2022, 04:56 PM
I emailed P&D as I was in Edmonton for surgery. They said they had nothing in stock. I don’t fully understand the primer shortage or even the entire component shortage at this point. Maybe I’m out of touch but I thought most parts of the world were back to functioning, even if it is at a reduced capacity.

elkhunter11
05-20-2022, 05:23 PM
I emailed P&D as I was in Edmonton for surgery. They said they had nothing in stock. I don’t fully understand the primer shortage or even the entire component shortage at this point. Maybe I’m out of touch but I thought most parts of the world were back to functioning, even if it is at a reduced capacity.

The back orders aren't even close to being filled , and with huge military and law enforcement contracts taking a large volume of components that would normally be available to the consumers, there isn't enough to keep up with current sales, let alone fill the backorders. And the suppliers have already given notice, that it will be at least late 2023 ,before many components are even available to consumers. The bottom line, is that the situation will get even worse, before it begins to improve at all, which is likely at least a year or two away.

fishnguy
05-20-2022, 05:27 PM
What do you need? i will ask around here. We will be in Calgary for a week first-ish week of June.

Edit: You also needed some powder; I can ask if they have 1-pound jars (or whatever the heck you call those containers). Let me know what kind.

Edit 2: Was driving by the shop and stopped by. Slim pickings, lol. No primers (on order but don’t know when they will get them). Have only h4198 (Hodgdon and IMR), Leverevolution, and H322 (all in 1 lb). Didn’t ask the prices. They had poop ton to choose from about a month ago. I should have bought some to “flip”, hahaha.

Prairiekid
05-20-2022, 08:28 PM
No worries. I only need primers. Yes slim pickings everywhere.

Pioneer2
05-20-2022, 08:28 PM
The H4198 ?

PartTimeHunter
05-20-2022, 08:33 PM
The H4198 ?

You need? pm

hunter64
05-20-2022, 08:46 PM
Just did a trip down to Wyoming, across Utah and back up thru Idaho and every gun shop I stopped at was low to nothing for reloading supplies. Heard the same thing down there that the Military and Police contracts are taking up most of the supplies. They are worried about Biden bringing in some kind of gun registry so everyone and there cousin is buying firearms and enough ammo to keep them running. Lots are worried about civil unrest which doesn't help the supply chain either.

I have enough for my needs with some extra but if you are starting out it might be hard for the next couple of years.

fordtruckin
05-20-2022, 09:13 PM
Hoarders in the USA, here as well.As soon as stock comes in its gone fast.

Hard to hoard what isn't there...:thinking-006:

I've seen random small rifle and small pistol magnum primers in the past year. Haven't seen any large rifle in over 2 years. Heard of some at one shop but they were limiting customers to 4 sleeves.