PDA

View Full Version : trolling speed

BEL
02-18-2022, 05:17 PM
My wife and I are currently visiting Belize. We went fishing twice with guides, once in Palcencia and lastly in Punta Gorda. Compared to how fast I troll for rainbows, walleyes and Babine salmon, these guys go much faster. As I recall, we troll at 1.8 to 2 miles per hour. These guys are around 6 or 7. Am I going too slow in Canada? What do you guys troll at? BEL

Smoky buck
02-18-2022, 05:39 PM
My wife and I are currently visiting Belize. We went fishing twice with guides, once in Palcencia and lastly in Punta Gorda. Compared to how fast I troll for rainbows, walleyes and Babine salmon, these guys go much faster. As I recall, we troll at 1.8 to 2 miles per hour. These guys are around 6 or 7. Am I going too slow in Canada? What do you guys troll at? BEL

It’s a matter of the lure and how it reacts to different speed, are the fish aggressive or placid, and the species makes a big difference too

Jayhad
02-18-2022, 05:45 PM
No, the fastest a trout can swim is almost 10K, basically everything you fish for in the salt is faster, much faster.

CanuckShooter
02-19-2022, 08:37 AM
We joined a fellow on a Babine lk bc boat, he was dragging a lure with a lead line for char, he started out slow like we normally troll. Then he kept speeding up incrementally to the point I was starting to think he wanted to water ski the lure, and then all of a sudden he started to get hits. After he landed one he started out again at the same speed...and just kept getting hits at that super fast speed.

when someone asks your question I always remember that day, so from that experience if you aren't getting bites it doesn't hurt to try trolling really really really fast.

Smoky buck
02-19-2022, 09:20 AM
We joined a fellow on a Babine lk bc boat, he was dragging a lure with a lead line for char, he started out slow like we normally troll. Then he kept speeding up incrementally to the point I was starting to think he wanted to water ski the lure, and then all of a sudden he started to get hits. After he landed one he started out again at the same speed...and just kept getting hits at that super fast speed.

when someone asks your question I always remember that day, so from that experience if you aren't getting bites it doesn't hurt to try trolling really really really fast.

Lakers are notorious followers if you if you keep a static speed. There is many different tricks guys use to break up their presentation

I actually lived right near Babine and fished lakers in that area lots. The fishermen who who seen the most success trolling had tricks to break up the static presentation

Personally I designed my own lures to have some erratic quirks or float so you could get a slight change in action by various changes to trolling. Personally my most effective methods were sharp S turns, short bumps to the throttle increasing speed, and short pauses. Different lakes and time of year played a roll on how I trolled

I even know guys who ran a weight on a dropper to kick up mud on the bottom and would drop their speed for short periods

It’s just like casting a lure and varying your retrieve

BEL
02-19-2022, 09:42 AM
The ocean trolling is definitly faster. Marlin fishing is an example. The lure pops up to the the surface often and you can see the fish try for it. Varying speeds and directions definitly help. I had a Tohatsu motor which when warmed up would conk out. Very annoying till I noticed I often caught trout once I got it going again. Still try that tactic today with the good motor. BEL

Speckle55
02-19-2022, 09:42 AM
I will troll for trout at 2.2mph to 2.7 in clear water :test:

I like Maligne Lake trout (Rainbow n Brook ):sHa_shakeshout:

but even in Kootenay Lake we were down rigging too!!:bad_boys_20:

planner boards out still keep that speed :fighting0074:

find the thermocline then work that area

Lakers too love speed :shark:

just saying

as always this is

Food for Thought

David:)