PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Hub Skid Floor??

russ
02-21-2022, 02:06 PM
We have an Otter Vortex Lodge (96"x96" footprint) and I want to build a fold up floor for it. Easy enough, a few 2x4's and a couple sheets of plywood and hinges. That's the easy part. The 6.5' Truck box is the problem, I'd like the floor with skids to sit in the bottom of the truck box with the tailgate closed.

AlbertanGP
02-21-2022, 02:35 PM
There are all sorts of threads on these on other forums, especially iceshanty.com. Google "ice fishing hub tent floor ideas".

I know a few guys have done them here. But EVA foam tiles seem to be a lot more popular around these parts. Good luck with your project.

russ
02-21-2022, 04:03 PM
There are all sorts of threads on these on other forums, especially iceshanty.com. Google "ice fishing hub tent floor ideas".

I know a few guys have done them here. But EVA foam tiles seem to be a lot more popular around these parts. Good luck with your project.

I'm looking for a plan for a skid deck floor that I can tow without having to take the hub down when the fishing turns out to be crap.

ETA - not a stationary floor, a skid deck built to allow moving the hub shelter without taking down the shelter when moving.

AlbertanGP
02-21-2022, 04:50 PM
Yup. I came across those in that search too. ;)

ab_hunter
02-21-2022, 05:05 PM
I use the EVA foam mats for our floor. If I want to move, it takes about 30 seconds to take down the tent and put it in the box of the truck. To each their own, but why not work off the one of the strengths of the tent, which is quick set up and take down time.

russ
02-21-2022, 05:29 PM
I use the EVA foam mats for our floor. If I want to move, it takes about 30 seconds to take down the tent and put it in the box of the truck. To each their own, but why not work off the one of the strengths of the tent, which is quick set up and take down time.

You can pack up 2 chairs, a battery box, fish finder, 4 fishing rods, 2 tackle boxes, underwater camera, 16 puzzle pads, 3 LED light, big buddy heater, 30lb propane bottle, ice auger and fold up a hub shelter in 30 seconds! Super impressed!

lmtada
02-22-2022, 01:02 PM
Like this? :)

https://youtu.be/wTd_RI9SlVg

EZM
02-22-2022, 02:24 PM
I bought some roll up rubber mats which are available in various widths on rolls for bulk purchase.

I bought 2 pcs of 4 foot wide by 10 foot long mats (2 rolls) and use it in my big ice fishing tent (leaving the gap in the middle to drill 4 holes in a line in the middle of the tent.

I drill my holes in a line, shovel the slush and snow away, roll a mat to either side of the line of holes and set up my tent over it.

Slip free, doesn't freeze and stick, easy to clean, no edges to trip over as it lays flat without corners coming up, takes up a tiny amount of space when rolled up, is fast to deploy/roll out and quick roll up and is comfortable on feet.

Similar to this product. I bought it at Princess Auto.

Have not used the foam puzzle blocks since.

https://kingrubber123.en.made-in-china.com/product/uBemcXaAYopI/China-Industrial-Commercial-SBR-Nr-NBR-Waterproof-Studded-Coin-Rubber-Floor-Mat-Roll-Rubber-Sheet.html

russ
02-22-2022, 05:37 PM
Like this? :)

https://youtu.be/wTd_RI9SlVg

Now there's a guy that get his stuff on the move in less than 30 seconds.

EZM -

I'm hoping for ideas to build skid floor or basically a sled that I can fold up and fit into my truck box and be really easy to move once everything is set up.

ab_hunter
02-22-2022, 06:33 PM
You can pack up 2 chairs, a battery box, fish finder, 4 fishing rods, 2 tackle boxes, underwater camera, 16 puzzle pads, 3 LED light, big buddy heater, 30lb propane bottle, ice auger and fold up a hub shelter in 30 seconds! Super impressed!

Easy now, it was merely a suggestion, I wasn't telling you how live your life, who do you think I am? Trudeau?

russ
02-22-2022, 07:04 PM
Easy now, it was merely a suggestion, I wasn't telling you how live your life, who do you think I am? Trudeau?

You literally claimed you could pull up a hub shelter and all of your gear in 30 seconds. I wanna here about your 30" perch Justin. And yes, you were telling me how to fish.

AlbertanGP
02-22-2022, 07:40 PM
There will be no more use of the T word on this forum. That is all....

russ
02-22-2022, 07:43 PM
There will be no more use of the T word on this forum. That is all....

In my defense, the guy was literally telling me how to fish. I was worried he would start lecturing me about how to fish with less and reduce my carbon footprint!

58thecat
02-23-2022, 06:45 AM
In my defense, the guy was literally telling me how to fish. I was worried he would start lecturing me about how to fish with less and reduce my carbon footprint!

You have been warned no T word....:)

I like the idea for your case of two rolled rubber mats but like mentioned hit up other ice fishing forms and man there are some over the top ideas!

Good luck and let us know what you came up with....save others the hassle cuz I bet your not the only one out there trying to simplify a set up.

dr.crentist
03-08-2022, 11:00 AM
This may not be for everyone... I wanted something solid to keep the inside of the tent steady and level but most of all dry and comfortable. All of the materials were left over pieces from previous projects.

Basically I took 2 sheets of OSB and built a 2x2 subframe underneath. Cut 4 holes, one in each corner to fish through, they have some extra reinforcement in case you need to close and step on them. I used a couple of old door hinges and cut each piece of OSB in half, now each piece folds for easier transport. Used some old roofing materials for the black anti-slip flooring, I think it's the ice N' shield stuff they put under the shingles. It has a sticky back but I also used some staples to hold down the edges. So in a way it was a free thing, one afternoon to build it was it.

I was going to add some foam to the bottom underneath between the 2x2 framing to help keep things warm but it hasn't been necessary. Been using it for 3 seasons now, holds up well, keeps things dry, makes the inside of the tent dark so it's easier to see down the hole. 8'x8' footprint but stores and transports as 4'x4'

Set up takes a little longer but packing up is fairly easy, fold and slide into the truck box. My only real complaint is the tar like smell because it's roofing material.

https://i.imgur.com/2BpQRgu.jpg

AlbertanGP
03-08-2022, 04:15 PM
Looks good. :happy0034:

Most people with a floor like that will admit the setup takes a bit longer. But all seem to be happy with the final result. I try not to get too comfy in one spot unless I’m overnighting. Then the foam tiles come out.

dr.crentist
03-08-2022, 04:38 PM
Looks good. :happy0034:

Most people with a floor like that will admit the setup takes a bit longer. But all seem to be happy with the final result. I try not to get too comfy in one spot unless I’m overnighting. Then the foam tiles come out.

Thanks.

Just a little longer, we have it down to a routine now.

I only go the full setup in a place we know, somewhere where we've had success. I also use this as a home base sort of thing, set things up and get heat going, get the kids set, camera and rods going, give em some snacks and start spreading myself out to see what kind of action we may have a couple of hundred feet in any direction. It also makes things great on the cold days and when the wind is blowing.

Yesterday I was just fishing out my truck window and only giving myself 30-40 minutes per hole, no action and I moved on.