PDA

View Full Version : Fish Cam Panners

russ
02-21-2022, 02:51 PM
I bought one of the knock off fishing cams suggested from another thread, even my initially angry wife likes it! Gettng the camera to point the right way OTOH was a bit challenged. I was going to buy one of the rc controllers by aqua-vu or marcum but both have terrible reviews. Considering the camera isn't as far away as my TV I'm sure can lean over and manually "change" the fishing channel!

Is there a pre-built manual panner or plans out there for one?

TROLLER
02-21-2022, 03:15 PM
I used the Acu View remote for yrs. Never had an issue with it.

AlbertanGP
02-21-2022, 03:33 PM
I used the Acu View remote for yrs. Never had an issue with it.

I've read a lot of bad reviews about AquaVu's Mo-Pod Panner (https://www.aquavu.com/Aqua-Vu-Mo-Pod-3), but mine has always worked flawlessly. It's good for panning, but more importantly holds the camera up off the bottom at whatever level you like.

jpohlic
02-21-2022, 03:53 PM
I've read a lot of bad reviews about AquaVu's Mo-Pod Panner (https://www.aquavu.com/Aqua-Vu-Mo-Pod-3), but mine has always worked flawlessly. It's good for panning, but more importantly holds the camera up off the bottom at whatever level you like.

Same here, been using the mo-pod for a few years with no issues. I can't imagine having a camera without a remote panner.

stubblejumper01
02-21-2022, 05:22 PM
I have 2 of the old Marcum panners and they have worked great for years
The only thing is that they lay flat on top of the hole and as I get older that becomes a pain. So I cut the bottom off a 20L pail and set it on that. Much easier to use and the hole doesn’t freeze as quickly
Just remember to remove the batteries every off season

Frank_NK28
02-21-2022, 06:27 PM
I have the Mopod, came with my 715C and its alright but I wish there was better. It doesn't spin worth a darned if the heater isn't next to it to keep it warm and the remote control is not 100% reliable. I'd say it's 50%.

AlbertanGP
02-21-2022, 06:36 PM
I have the Mopod, came with my 715C and its alright but I wish there was better. It doesn't spin worth a darned if the heater isn't next to it to keep it warm and the remote control is not 100% reliable. I'd say it's 50%.

How old is it? The one I got this year has worked well in some pretty frosty shelters during that cold snap around Christmas. Maybe they have updated something with the new ones.

CNP
02-21-2022, 07:32 PM
diy panner. link: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=390407&highlight=camera+panner

WinFwt
02-21-2022, 07:44 PM
Been using the MarCum wireless panner for about 3 years now, and no problems at all. Put it on a piece of plywood with a hole cut in it to keep the unit off the ice. Remote works excellent with this setup.

Pics not the best, but will give you an idea of how I use it.
https://i.imgur.com/NstaX72m.jpg

Frank_NK28
02-21-2022, 08:58 PM
How old is it? The one I got this year has worked well in some pretty frosty shelters during that cold snap around Christmas. Maybe they have updated something with the new ones.

I bought it in 2019. It's never been a good performer. The camera works great though.

JohninAB
02-24-2022, 02:51 AM
I have owned and used both the Marcum and Aqua Vu panners and have never had any issues with either. I do prefer the tripod Aqua Vu model.

I normally drill my camera hole outside my tent and even in frigid weather have had no issues with the panner working as long as I go out once in awhile and break any heavy ice forming in the hole.

russ
02-24-2022, 07:47 AM
From what all of you have said, I'm getting the impression the ratings on Cabela's have only captured the complaints and not the positives. That's unfortunate, I would have bought the Acu-vu last weekend on my way home after fishing but I relied on the on-line ratings to make my decision.

Unregistered user
03-02-2022, 02:21 PM
I picked up a Mopod at Cabelas today $49 wild Wednesday sale price, reg $89 I'll try it this weekend.

Foot Stomper
03-02-2022, 08:50 PM
I have been using a camera tripod similar to the link below.
I simply wrap the camera cable around the top of it at the depth I want and then place the tripod so the camera points at my lure or whatever I want to see. Easy peasy, lemon squeezie.

https://www.amazon.ca/Ajzar-Projector-Stretchable-Portable-Smartphone/dp/B08J7JQFWF/ref=sr_1_149?crid=39JMTVGIEFJTT&keywords=camera+tripod&qid=1646279050&sprefix=camera+trip%2Caps%2C276&sr=8-149

Backwoods Runner
03-03-2022, 08:43 AM
We’ve got a couple of the Mopods. They work great. Mine sit outside the shack so hole freezing is an issue. I cut a slot in a piece of 2” styrofoam glued to a 12”x12” piece of plywood. Problem solved unless really cold.
Once you realize it is plastic and you can’t throw it around or leave batteries in year round it’ll probably last for years.

fisher69
03-04-2022, 09:22 PM
i made a very simple and cheap version i heard about. basically you take a foam mat or something similar, slice a line to the middle and put a bit of a hole there for the cord to go through. then you get a foam ball and slice a line down the middle of it, then run the cable through the middle of that. depending on the ball you might want to get some velcro tape or something to go around the ball and hold the cord a bit tighter if needed. then you just let the ball rest on top of the mat and rotate it as needed.

Elchinodiablo
03-05-2022, 01:30 AM
i made a very simple and cheap version i heard about. basically you take a foam mat or something similar, slice a line to the middle and put a bit of a hole there for the cord to go through. then you get a foam ball and slice a line down the middle of it, then run the cable through the middle of that. depending on the ball you might want to get some velcro tape or something to go around the ball and hold the cord a bit tighter if needed. then you just let the ball rest on top of the mat and rotate it as needed.I used a clamp instead of a ball and it works great. On a bucket lid. The only adjustment is the depth.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

mapleleafman3
03-09-2022, 11:39 AM
Cabela's has Aqua-Vu MoPOD3 on sale today only (Wild Wednesday deal) for $49.99.

AlbertanGP
03-09-2022, 07:55 PM
i made a very simple and cheap version i heard about. basically you take a foam mat or something similar, slice a line to the middle and put a bit of a hole there for the cord to go through. then you get a foam ball and slice a line down the middle of it, then run the cable through the middle of that. depending on the ball you might want to get some velcro tape or something to go around the ball and hold the cord a bit tighter if needed. then you just let the ball rest on top of the mat and rotate it as needed.

For anyone that wants to try this (it's a good, cheap DIY solution) the balls he's talking about are readily available at Michael's. ;)