PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Rod is This?

DarkAisling
09-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry . . . no picture. I wish I had snapped one.

Out a Carburn Park today we saw four people using really, really long fishing rods. It was hard to judge the length, but I think the longest was around 16-18 feet (about three times the height of the man using it). These rods didn't have reels on them, and they were really thick at the butt end. They weren't being cast as one would cast a fly rod. The lines were just kind of being dropped out.

I know that's a crap description. I've been searching Google for the last 1/2 hour and can't come up with anything that I think could be it. They were pretty cool.

Geezle
09-07-2009, 10:17 PM
I have no idea the type of rod you're talking about, but I really hope somebody here does so we can do some proper research. I'm curious what these giant rods with no reels are all about!

DarkAisling
09-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Baitfisher was there too . . . she might be able to clarify the description. She saw one of the guys catch a perch with it.

tyee33
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
sounds like a surf rod. Seen them in Hawaii, locals were fishing with them all over the place

hockey1099
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
My girlfriends dad has a couple and i saw i guy using similar ones from a boat today. Generally they have reels. My gf's dads do. The length allows fisherman from shore to cast significantly farther

Geezle
09-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Baitfisher was there too . . . she might be able to clarify the description. She saw one of the guys catch a perch with it.

crazy, I couldn't even imagine bringing in a perch on a rod that size!

tonyflyfish
09-07-2009, 10:26 PM
isn't that what a spey rod is? 13 ft or so to cast from shore into the ocean? What the hell do I know? I am a fly fisherman and a liberal.

redneck posse
09-07-2009, 10:29 PM
wonder if they could be thoose 13ft cain rods or a bamboo pole.

DarkAisling
09-07-2009, 10:31 PM
isn't that what a spey rod is? 13 ft or so to cast from shore into the ocean? What the hell do I know? I am a fly fisherman and a liberal.

:eek: Geeze TFF! Be careful what you say! Being a liberal on this site could get you drawn and quartered more quickly then if you were a PETA member.

(I'm also a liberal . . . don't tell anyone)

DarkAisling
09-07-2009, 10:35 PM

Oops. Sorry. I should have stated that these appeared to be very common construction, apart from their extraordinary length. They were black, and appeared to be graphite/carbon/fiberglass, or similar.

redneck posse
09-07-2009, 10:39 PM
surf casting rods

slingshotz
09-07-2009, 10:46 PM
It's a European rod with just a line attached, just like long ago in the old days. In places like Finland if you fish without a reel (ie stick and line) you don't need a license. So people there use super long rods with 10 feet of line or so attached to the end and just drop the bait as far as the rod will reach.

I have some neat fishing apparatus that has line wound around a plastic H shape and you swing the hook and bobber around and around like you do a old fashioned sling. Since there's no reel you don't worry about needing a license anywhere in Finland :D

calgarygringo
09-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Slingshotz is correct. When I was young (too long ago), we used to fish in northern Manitoba with a bunch of European guys that used these. We caught lots of fish but they always outfished us. They said they used them in Europe all the time. Basically they can fish at shallower depths and just pull their pole in and their line comes straight into the boat. It gives them a little more range when using things like floats. Lots of control and can get the rod away from the boat or edge without the fish seeing you. I have not seen anyone fishing this way since moving to Alberta 30 years ago.

DarkAisling
09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Now that I think about it, I don't remember if the rods had guides or not. I don't think the line was tied directly to the end of the rod, but it might have been. I just realized that they might have been Tenkara rods, which is basically what slingshotz is describing (I think).

The spey rods and surf casting rods are interesting. I had a good look at them online, and either one of them could have been what they were using. They were fishing using the technique that slingshotz describes. I imagine that any long pole would work more or less the same way.

bobalong
09-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Shakespeare makes them, usually available in Edmonton for about 20-30 bucks. If you ever watch WFN there is a whole tournament series for carp, where almost all contestants use these rods. The ones from Shakespeare are from about 10-30 feet long. You will see anglers locally using them for whites, or goldeye in the river a bit to. The European version of these are much more expensive, and quite a bit stronger I believe than the ones Shakespeare make.

DarkAisling
09-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Shakespeare makes them, usually available in Edmonton for about 20-30 bucks. If you ever watch WFN there is a whole tournament series for carp, where almost all contestants use these rods. The ones from Shakespeare are from about 10-30 feet long. You will see anglers locally using them for whites, or goldeye in the river a bit to. The European version of these are much more expensive, and quite a bit stronger I believe than the ones Shakespeare make.

You nailed it! I found them (thanks to you) :) Two of the guys were definitely using Shakespeare Wonderpoles. That's exactly it.

Now I want to learn how to use one. :D

RedHeadedFisherman
09-07-2009, 11:19 PM
It's a European rod with just a line attached, just like long ago in the old days. In places like Finland if you fish without a reel (ie stick and line) you don't need a license. So people there use super long rods with 10 feet of line or so attached to the end and just drop the bait as far as the rod will reach.

I have some neat fishing apparatus that has line wound around a plastic H shape and you swing the hook and bobber around and around like you do a old fashioned sling. Since there's no reel you don't worry about needing a license anywhere in Finland :D

X2,. i agree i saw them on a fishing show from across the pond :D
nice meeting you DarkAisling. and your daughter, BF..

Cal
09-07-2009, 11:23 PM

I'm guessing you are absolutely right redneck. The cheapest ones are made of cane, the more expencive ones are made of fiberglass or graphite. These are fairly popular in the eastern and southern US, where they are called either "cane poles" or "Crappie poles" and I've used them a few times . I've seen them in various lenghts from 10 -19 feet, and they are most often used for catching panfish. The big advantage to them is you can tie on 3 or 4' of line to the end and reach over weeds or through realy nasty brush and drop your hook into little holes you can not cast too. When you have a fish on rather than trying to fight it out of the weeds or brush you can just lift it straight out of the water and swing it onto shore. There are other ways to use them as well as was pointed out how the europeans use them but IMO a regular rod does most things better other than pull panfish out of barely fishable water.

DarkAisling
09-07-2009, 11:29 PM
X2,. i agree i saw them on a fishing show from across the pond :D
nice meeting you DarkAisling. and your daughter, BF..

It was nice to meet you, too. Sorry we didn't have much time to chat . . . the son was being pretty demanding :lol:

Beazer
09-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Extreme Fishing with Robson Green
Basic cane poles.
Alot of sal****er guys use these particularly when they're on rocks 18ft high.

gpguy7
09-08-2009, 01:06 AM
the name of the show they use them on is called Fish O' Mania. Basically a bunch of guys around a big pond catching carp. it's england's biggest freshwater fishing tournament. i've only ever seen one guy use a spinning rod on the show. have a surprisingly large amount of fans watching too. but its essentially a carbon fiber rod about 15 feet long, fish bites he hands over hands the rod in until the fish can be netted. no reel, just line and bait. check out the show sometime if you can it's pretty interesting.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-08-2009, 01:13 AM
To me It sounds like these would be your best bet .I'm almost certain from how you describe it would be one of these .

A Match rod - mainly used for float fishing, but can be used for lightweight legating up to around 1/4oz, maybe a slightly more. Or perhaps its the

Feeder & Quiver rod or Wonder pole -mainly are used for weight fishing (around 1/4oz - 3oz depending on the rod) with either a weight or a feeder.

Or it could be like REDNECKPOSSE states a cane rod to which alot of Europeans use .

There's also another but cant quite recall what there called which they come to get in sections with what is almost like a giant rubber band , but cant quite think of what there called .But my guess is that it would be the match rod , or the Feeder & Quiver .

bruce44
09-08-2009, 03:15 AM
Sorry . . . no picture. I wish I had snapped one.

Out a Carburn Park today we saw four people using really, really long fishing rods. It was hard to judge the length, but I think the longest was around 16-18 feet (about three times the height of the man using it). These rods didn't have reels on them, and they were really thick at the butt end. They weren't being cast as one would cast a fly rod. The lines were just kind of being dropped out.

I know that's a crap description. I've been searching Google for the last 1/2 hour and can't come up with anything that I think could be it. They were pretty cool.
I think your talking about the tenkara rod. Type that in on google and see if thats it. It doesnt have a reel. Its just a rod and the line is held by the fisherman. Its very popular in japan. I hope that helps.

DarkAisling
09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I've got one of the 13' Wonderpoles (what the guys were using) on the way. Should be fun!

I've also got a Tenkara pole on the way, as after I read up on it in depth I decided that I simply had to learn how to fly fish that way, instead of the traditional North American way. The other-half will ring my neck if he finds out how much it cost (cheaper than a nice fly rod and reel, though).

Both the Wonderpole and the Tenkara set-ups are so minimal! I can put them in a desk drawer, and head over to fish the Bow on my lunch break (I work a couple of blocks away). That will be the cat's @$$. If I take my boss (an angler from Ontario) along for the ride, he might not complain about an extended lunch break every now and then :evilgrin: There aren't great holes really close to my work, but at least the option will be there.

Dik
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Some else may have called it already; this sounds like a mooching rod. That's what we used to call them. :) Back in the 70's I've seen a few of these rods used in beaver dams. The line was tied to the end of the pole. A fly or snelled hook with a worm was lowered into the water.

Dick

McDeth
09-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Fishing with an old fashioned European pole can be fun...but try using a 15'6" Float Rod with a centerpin reel on a river! Blissss!

slingshotz
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I've also got a Tenkara pole on the way, as after I read up on it in depth I decided that I simply had to learn how to fly fish that way, instead of the traditional North American way. The other-half will ring my neck if he finds out how much it cost (cheaper than a nice fly rod and reel, though).

On noes, not another potential addiction! Where did you get the Tenkara rod? I love the concept that it telescopes down to next to nothing. Was thinking of getting a four piece 3wt for travelling but this sounds even better.

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 11:04 AM
On noes, not another potential addiction! Where did you get the Tenkara rod? I love the concept that it telescopes down to next to nothing. Was thinking of getting a four piece 3wt for travelling but this sounds even better.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_info.php/products_id/50

I can't wait :) It shipped yesterday. There are some good videos and information on the site. I've never flyfished, and this doesn't seem as intimidating as traditional North American flyfishing to me since it looks so simple.

Yup, another potential addiction. Is there a better reason to get outside? :lol:

slingshotz
09-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Which rod did you order? I like the looks of the 13' 5:5 and the price is sure a lot better than many fly rods.

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Which rod did you order? I like the looks of the 13' 5:5 and the price is sure a lot better than many fly rods.

That's the one I ordered.

If you want, I'll let you know when it gets here and you can have a look at it and try it out. I ordered the white line, and the 6x tippet.

Paul C
09-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I have heard that those long rods are used for bait running when bottom fishing.
:DCheers:evilgrin:

jeprli
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
13 footer is too short go for 20', these are awesome on lakes like chain lakes where there is a load of small fish, even a 1/4 pound fish feels like a giant.

It's a simple telescopic rod, they're very cheap at WSS. Back in Europe we would catch baitfish for pike and walleye with these. There are also huge tournaments held just for this discipline. If you want to go pro and buy pro gear, price can easily escalate to $1500 for a single rod.

DarkAisling
09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I figured I'd get my feet wet with the 13 footer, and then go up from there. I imagine that it will be easier to learn the ropes of that style of fishing if the rod isn't too unmanageable.

When I'm done with it, it can go into the "loaner rod" pile. It certainly doesn't hurt to have extra rods around here, as we've got two boys of our own, seven nephews, and one great-nephew.

slingshotz
09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
That's the one I ordered.

If you want, I'll let you know when it gets here and you can have a look at it and try it out. I ordered the white line, and the 6x tippet.

I'd be interested for sure, I had all the items in my shopping cart ready to be checked out but I resisted, yay! Still waiting to hear from the wife what the prices are for Loops in Finland.

jeprli
09-10-2009, 08:37 AM
UMMM guys i'm not really sure that you need tippets for this kinda fishing, these rods are meant for real light floats with a small splitshot, when you cast this rod the hook will gain a lot of speed, there's no need for expensive tippets.
It's very simple, no need to complicate things, lighter lines give better results.
When setting the hook all that needs to be done is to lift the rod, if you try setting it hard you might loose fish and fish might lose it's mouth :evilgrin:

DarkAisling
09-10-2009, 08:53 AM
UMMM guys i'm not really sure that you need tippets for this kinda fishing, these rods are meant for real light floats with a small splitshot, when you cast this rod the hook will gain a lot of speed, there's no need for expensive tippets.
It's very simple, no need to complicate things, lighter lines give better results.
When setting the hook all that needs to be done is to lift the rod, if you try setting it hard you might loose fish and fish might lose it's mouth :evilgrin:

The tippets are for the Tenkara rods . . . not the crappie rods. :)

mooseburger
09-10-2009, 02:14 PM

x2 on the bamboo.........mb