PDA

View Full Version : Record setting day

CNP
02-24-2022, 06:39 PM
Today, we (myself and a pal), drilled 155 holes with my ION X auger, fished them all multiple times and we caught nothing :)

It was a great day on the ice. Don't ask which lake or what we were fishing for. That's not the story here :)

We don't need any tips either :)

It's all about drilling 155 holes before the battery said no more......and having an awesome day out on the ice.

While fishing and if the season was still open we could have surrounded our holes with goose decoys and limited out on Canada's. Thousands of geese overhead our holes :)

Flatland
02-24-2022, 08:10 PM
Middle of cold lake? Wallet? Sunken pirate treasure? Sorry.

AlbertanGP
02-24-2022, 08:25 PM
if you can punch 155 holes, get skunked, and still call it a good day more power to you. I got skunked on my home lake walleye fishing back at Christmas for the first time in...errrr....ever. I sat at home and pouted the next day while my son went out fishing and have been fishing for trout ever since. lol.

roper1
02-24-2022, 08:40 PM
2" of ice?? :sHa_shakeshout:

eagleflyfisher
02-24-2022, 09:23 PM
Today, we (myself and a pal), drilled 155 holes with my ION X auger, fished them all multiple times and we caught nothing :)

It was a great day on the ice. Don't ask which lake or what we were fishing for. That's not the story here :)

We don't need any tips either :)

It's all about drilling 155 holes before the battery said no more......and having an awesome day out on the ice.

While fishing and if the season was still open we could have surrounded our holes with goose decoys and limited out on Canada's. Thousands of geese overhead our holes :)

My son and we’re out today, 2’ plus of ice, got 5 holes drilled with our fancy crappy ion auger then battery dead.
Charged some more in truck and got 2 more holes before dead again.
Hate this thing !

pikeman06
02-24-2022, 10:45 PM
Well, there's lots of questions that beg to be asked here... 300 ft of ice with your electric auger? 150 holes fished for 10 minutes each is 25 hours. But the big question is why would you openly admit to putting in that amount of time and effort and concede a skunk? To each and their own I guess. There's hydrographic maps and a staggering amount of electronics to put any angler on a fish or two. We used to find a major point or a creek mouth or inlet/outlet on lakes we never fished before long before the electronics came along and we would drill from 5 feet to 25 feet and fish with bait and any small spoon or a white or yellow jig. Always caught fish. My ol man would slap me silly if I came back and told him we drilled 150 holes and caught nothing. Just sayin. Maybe you needed some feedback.

anthony5
02-25-2022, 12:26 AM
Well, there's lots of questions that beg to be asked here... 300 ft of ice with your electric auger? 150 holes fished for 10 minutes each is 25 hours. But the big question is why would you openly admit to putting in that amount of time and effort and concede a skunk? To each and their own I guess. There's hydrographic maps and a staggering amount of electronics to put any angler on a fish or two. We used to find a major point or a creek mouth or inlet/outlet on lakes we never fished before long before the electronics came along and we would drill from 5 feet to 25 feet and fish with bait and any small spoon or a white or yellow jig. Always caught fish. My ol man would slap me silly if I came back and told him we drilled 150 holes and caught nothing. Just sayin. Maybe you needed some feedback.

Well good on ya for catching fish without electronics, old fashioned way. He never said there wasn't any fish there, maybe just didn't like the presentation which happens often. Pretty sure he was only bragging about the amount of holes he drilled with the electric auger on one battery, not about how many fish he did or didn't catch.

SNAPFisher
02-25-2022, 07:48 AM
Well good on ya for catching fish without electronics, old fashioned way. He never said there wasn't any fish there, maybe just didn't like the presentation which happens often. Pretty sure he was only bragging about the amount of holes he drilled with the electric auger on one battery, not about how many fish he did or didn't catch.

LOL, yeah. I guess CNP should have posted 155 holes drilled with electric auger and not said anything about actual fishing. Shame on him for getting skunked! I'm sure it has never happened to some of these loud mouths on here ;)

I know I wouldn't get 155 holes with the 10 inch SM. Did drill a dozen on the weekend down to an inch or two left of room before bottoming out. Didn't finish off that one battery. I believe it was on 2 bars by the end of day.

GStyler
02-25-2022, 08:13 AM

There was 2 of them fishing. Do you think they DP'd each hole for 10 minutes?:fighting0074:

58thecat
02-25-2022, 08:15 AM
My son and we’re out today, 2’ plus of ice, got 5 holes drilled with our fancy crappy ion auger then battery dead.
Charged some more in truck and got 2 more holes before dead again.
Hate this thing !

2” of ice just bring an axe or hand auger....you can cut many holes as long as your battery is charged!

Bacon, eggs, toast and hot coffee is a good charging system.
Toss in mid day chilli....and always have jerky in hand too.

CNP
02-25-2022, 09:09 AM
Didn't think this would get controversial but everything posted on AO is subject to the Spanish Inquisition. Like I said, I don't need tips from anyone that thinks I need tips, especially from guys who can't read or listen :)

The first 95 holes punched were in 4 inches of ice. The next 60 holes were in 14 inches of ice. Total inches of ice 1,220. I don't need my numbers fact checked. Temperature was -10. Oh yeah, I bought a Cabelas 8" EZE drill just because they were on sale and it is 2# lighter than the ION steel auger. Works great on the ION head. In addition to having an awesome day, I have a sunburnt face. Coming out of the dog days of winter, a little colour is good.

Now for my next feat: catching some fish. Next week. I'm retired, so I pick my days.

How many guys took our their calculators?

roper1
02-25-2022, 10:03 AM
Didn't think this would get controversial but everything posted on AO is subject to the Spanish Inquisition. Like I said, I don't need tips from anyone that thinks I need tips, especially from guys who can't read or listen :)

The first 95 holes punched were in 4 inches of ice. The next 60 holes were in 14 inches of ice. Total inches of ice 1,220. I don't need my numbers fact checked. Temperature was -10. Oh yeah, I bought a Cabelas 8" EZE drill just because they were on sale and it is 2# lighter than the ION steel auger. Works great on the ION head. In addition to having an awesome day, I have a sunburnt face. Coming out of the dog days of winter, a little colour is good.

Now for my next feat: catching some fish. Next week. I'm retired, so I pick my days.

How many guys took our their calculators?

No guff eh? I don't even ice fish but I thought that was very good performance on your auger!

I, for one, appreciate your threads & pics on fishing & hunting!!

Thanks!

dodger
02-25-2022, 03:23 PM
No guff eh? I don't even ice fish but I thought that was very good performance on your auger!

I, for one, appreciate your threads & pics on fishing & hunting!!

Thanks!

Yes indeed ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dodger.

JohninAB
02-25-2022, 04:10 PM
Sounds like a good day on the ice enjoying the great outdoors.

Think Henry David Thoreau stated it best:

Cg84
02-25-2022, 06:16 PM

The forum just oozes boomer energy :)

Great job punching that many holes and happy fishing!

Zip-in-Z
02-25-2022, 06:51 PM
CNP .... Your posts sure smile a lot. I move around lots, never drilled that many holes, must be a record.

Cheers

D.

Frank_NK28
02-25-2022, 08:41 PM
I don't think I've drilled 155 holes yet this season? You must be in the far south to be fishing on 4" to 14" of ice? Heck I haven't been out in two weeks and we were cutting 34" before this latest cold snap! Something tells me next outing I may be needing to install the extension on my SM40V....I get 40-50 holes in 34" of ice with my 10" SM with a fully charged battery.

Georgias daddy
02-27-2022, 05:33 PM
I Bought a new ION gen 2 October 2020 Bought extra battery in Jan 2021. Can only get a combined total of 15-16 holes with both batteries. Ion had no stock this season so I purchased a propane auger and had parked the ION. Got a email from Cabelas Ion stock of gen 2 batteries came in so I raced over and got 2 new 4 amp so hopefully I can get a full day out of fishing out of it now.
Original purchase $1100.00
Extra 6 amp battery $279.00
Propane auger to fill gab while I waited for batteries $675.00
2 extra 4amp batteries $580.00
Not the smartest purchase but I’m not a quitter lol
I also bought the cabelas brand drill auger as a backup to my backup. $160.00