PDA

View Full Version : My trip to lake of the woods

Gbuss
02-26-2022, 07:21 AM
Well here is the first video of this trip. So far I have fish 4 days with little to show but I think it is looking. Up. So far here are my results

https://youtu.be/tdwX3VNQWRk

TROLLER
02-26-2022, 03:40 PM
Good friend fished it this past summer and his commts were he caught more walleye and the same size at Crawling Valley.

Seems it's not the lake it used to be. But what lake is?

Smoky buck
02-26-2022, 03:58 PM
Good friend fished it this past summer and his commts were he caught more walleye and the same size at Crawling Valley.

Seems it's not the lake it used to be. But what lake is?

Honestly I think a lot of Alberta anglers underestimate what they have too

Gbuss
02-26-2022, 08:31 PM
Honestly I think a lot of Alberta anglers underestimate what they have too

Lake of the woods can be cruel. I managed to find the walleyes today literally 60yards from a spot I fished 2 days ago. That is how structure orientated they are on this body of water. I had to leave because the wind picked up and i was completely out in the open. Tent almost blew away but I got my two keepers. I think I found a good spot that might just produce a few fish in the 28" range.

I think people forget that lake of the woods is a large lake bigger then any lake in Alberta and it is not like any lake in Alberta. structure is key to finding fish and the right structure to boot.

gbuss

Smoky buck
02-26-2022, 09:08 PM
Lake of the woods can be cruel. I managed to find the walleyes today literally 60yards from a spot I fished 2 days ago. That is how structure orientated they are on this body of water. I had to leave because the wind picked up and i was completely out in the open. Tent almost blew away but I got my two keepers. I think I found a good spot that might just produce a few fish in the 28" range.

I think people forget that lake of the woods is a large lake bigger then any lake in Alberta and it is not like any lake in Alberta. structure is key to finding fish and the right structure to boot.

gbuss

I have fished a lot of different bodies of water big and small it always takes a little exploring to find the pockets. It’s just part of fishing even for bodies of water that are known to be good

For myself in open water at least I can usually figure out a body of water well enough to be consistent within 3days but most often less

roper1
02-26-2022, 10:09 PM
Looks like better than a day working:)

Hope your luck gets better & better!

Thanks for the video!

Curtsyneil
02-26-2022, 11:18 PM
Most fishermen look for structure to fish, may it be a drop, hump, rocks , boulders, beaver damns, silty sand, hard bottom, mud bottom, sandbars . It doesn’t matter if your in Ontario or Alberta. Hope you have some luck with the elusive February eyes.

Gbuss
02-27-2022, 06:51 AM
Most fishermen look for structure to fish, may it be a drop, hump, rocks , boulders, beaver damns, silty sand, hard bottom, mud bottom, sandbars . It doesn’t matter if your in Ontario or Alberta. Hope you have some luck with the elusive February eyes.

I found them yesterday. Going to be eating them up here this morning befor heading back out. The one good thing about ice fishing here is the ice roads you can find spots not far off them and have great success. If you have a sled and a pull behind flip over shack a guy could cover alot of water during the day at least ice fishing.

58thecat
02-27-2022, 07:40 AM
I found them yesterday. Going to be eating them up here this morning befor heading back out. The one good thing about ice fishing here is the ice roads you can find spots not far off them and have great success. If you have a sled and a pull behind flip over shack a guy could cover alot of water during the day at least ice fishing.

How true!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk