PDA

View Full Version : Portable Batter Booster pack recos

ÜberFly
02-27-2022, 04:34 PM
Gang,

Tried to do a search but didn't find anything..

I am interested in purchasing a portable battery booster pack to keep in my vehicle. I'd like it to include a (decent) air compressor... Started my search at Canadian Tire (no judgements please), but the ones they list don't have great reviews (on average).

Or would it be better to by a small booster pack (lithium) and separate portable compressor (specifically one that connects direct to the battery terminals)?

Anyone have a recommendation for a half decent unit(s) that won't break the bank?

Cheers

Peter

Ken07AOVette
02-27-2022, 05:00 PM
Canadian tire and Walmart both have them.

The CT one is an energizer, both compressors work well but the standalone boosters made by noco are far superior.

257Shooter
02-27-2022, 05:01 PM
I purchased a NOCO Boost HD GB70 on Amazon prior to Christmas.
Used it a few times since then and it works great.
(Canadian tire was sold out when I needed one)
Says it is good for up to a 6 liter gas engine or a 6 liter diesel.
Paid around $250, I see prices are higher now.

No comment on anything with an air compressor.

JohnB
02-27-2022, 05:03 PM
I picked up a booster pack from Costco. Very compact and have used it a bunch of times this winter.

Cement Bench
02-27-2022, 05:12 PM

they go on sale 2 or 3 times a year
ask the manager to punch the number up if he has high enough clearance he will see the sales for the next 6 months or so

Georgias daddy
02-27-2022, 05:17 PM
I bought the NOCO GB 150 for my side x side trips. My biggest fear is a dead battery on a remote lake. Usually with not great cell service. Unfortunately it does not come with a air compressor . NOCO has the best reviews I can find.

esher
02-27-2022, 05:59 PM
The costco/cat is great but the leads are short.

JohnB
02-27-2022, 07:00 PM
The costco/cat is great but the leads are short.

They sure are short.

Alexey
02-27-2022, 07:28 PM
I've been using a motomaster from CanTire for 10+ years and totally satisfied with it.

It's very similar, although an older model, to
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-1000a-booster-pack-with-air-compressor-0112058p.html

and it saved me quite a few times.

The biggest advantage over fancy newer things is that it has a standard compact lead battery inside which is very easy to swap when it's aged and you don't need to buy a new booster after a few years.

dale7637
02-27-2022, 07:32 PM
Our service dept got rid of all the snap on and Mac boosters and went to the norcos. I cannot believe how powerful those little fellas really are.

As for a compressor… I would go stand alone..and you get what you pay for!

Bearbreath
02-27-2022, 07:44 PM
I have the Nautalis from CT. It is a LARGE unit that will boost many times, but the built in compressor sucks. It over heats quickly and requires a few minutes to cool down before restarting. Also, it fills very slowly.

Better choice would be a lithium booster unit and a stand alone air compressor.

WV911
02-27-2022, 08:13 PM
Noco
Small and powerful
i got mine at CT

TBark
02-27-2022, 08:23 PM
Yes, it’s good to have these, I have one of the smaller lithium packs.
I keep it in the quad box.
A shame Polaris stopped making the quads with recoil backups.

TBark

stubblejumper01
02-28-2022, 09:48 AM

I’ve used the GB70 to boost my 6.7l Cummins works very well. It’s so compact and easy to carry. I take it along with my quad,SxS, and snowmobile. Going to carry on the pontoon boat too.

CMichaud
02-28-2022, 10:08 AM
I have a nautilus for 2-3 years now. It has been generally ok and I levae it in the back of my truck when I head out to my place up north.

I have used it to boost my old garbage lawn tractor off the frame. I leave the LT up there so the battery is always dead. Have boosted some cars as well along the way and used the nautilus to fill the LT tires when they have gone flat.

As mentioned the compressor is weak but I have used it to get enough air in a tire to get it to a real compressor.

I have also used it in am inflatable for powering the minn kota. Seems to do OK power wise and has not left me stranded....yet.

It is a bit of a heavy beast but so far no real complaints. I reckon they have a 2-3 year life expectancy.

Edit: I will add that my beater truck (02 Dakota) was frozen up this winter. The booster pack could not get it fired but then neither could the AC charger/booster I tried as well. In the end I had to plug the truck in and charge the battery before I could get it to fire

Ken07AOVette
02-28-2022, 10:35 AM
I forgot to say- the charger on the walmart one did not work, and was on clearance so no warranty. I opened the case and added external lugs directly to the battery, so I can charge with any 12v charger.

My favorite is the Noco GB 150 which will start a dead diesel, but they are about $400 on sale. The only one bigger I know of is the GB500 which is rated at 6500 amps and costs about $2400. It will start 24v systems

lyallpeder
02-28-2022, 12:10 PM
How do these booster packs last in the winter stored in a cold vehicle? Not all winter but stored in a vehicle for a week while hunting and you need it on the last day?

scesfiremedic
02-28-2022, 12:17 PM
From Noco website:

Storage temperature
Do not go below -4ºF (-20ºC), do not exceed 122ºF (50ºC) for any reason. Storing Boost outside of these ranges can cause damage to multiple crucial components of the jump starter. This applies to all Boost models.

Does it hold a charge?
All Boost models can hold 70% of its rated capacity for up to one year. For optimal performance, we recommend charging the device at least every 4-6 months, after initial charge.

Operating temperature?
Boost Sport, Plus, XL, HD, & PRO can operate within the temperature range -4ºF to 122ºF (-20ºC to 50ºC). Boost is equipped with thermal sensors that will prevent it from operating outside of this temperature range for your own safety. Boost MAX operates from -22ºF to 122ºF (-30ºC to 50ºC).

Stinky Buffalo
02-28-2022, 01:11 PM
Better choice would be a lithium booster unit and a stand alone air compressor.

As for a compressor… I would go stand alone..and you get what you pay for!

Same. One of the main reasons is that you aren't carrying dead weight if either the booster or compressor fails first.

For occasional use, I've heard good things about the DeWalt compressor. A friend has one for his overlanding expeditions and really likes it.

How do these booster packs last in the winter stored in a cold vehicle? Not all winter but stored in a vehicle for a week while hunting and you need it on the last day?

So far, so good with the Noco that I have. I'll bring it in to charge after every use, and 2-3x a year if not using it.

urban rednek
02-28-2022, 04:17 PM
Look at the Viair lineup, they outperform all the competitors available from the usual big box retailers by a wide margin. The ARB portable compressors may be better still, (that's an ongoing argument) but are considerably more dineros.
I have had a 440P for 8 years, it is still going strong. It will fill 4- 37" tires faster than most of the Canadian Tire specials will fill 1- 35" tire. It doesn't have issues with the "digital controls" when it's -38C and it has never cut out on thermal overload when it's +32C.
The only drawback is that it does get too hot to touch when it has filled 4 tires on a warm day.

ÜberFly
03-01-2022, 05:09 AM
Thanks everyone for your input.

I have a bit of research to do.

Cheers,

Peter

waldedw
03-01-2022, 07:06 AM
I have a NOCO GB70 - 12V 2000A, great unit have had it for a couple years, it holds a charge for months, small and portable, carry it in my pick up all the time, boosted my granddaughters car when it was -40 and she forgot to plug it in, works great. I never even looked at one with a compressor so can't comment. If I remember correctly I got mine at CT on sale for around $250

Dean2
03-01-2022, 09:36 AM
Good thread. I like Noco chargers so not surprising the Battery packs are top notch too. Have never had to boost my own car but have helped out lots of others. This is more compact than booster cables. Think I will get one for each vehicle. Thanks for all the info.