PDA

View Full Version : Would like your opinion on etiquette ??

Bushmaster
02-28-2022, 07:38 PM
This happened quite a few years ago but every now and then it pops into my head. We were at a lake in N. Sask and had driven to a spot about 6 mi. across the lake. We were familiar with the lake and knew where to go. And throughout the day had drilled quite a few holes. Come morning we headed back to the same place....only another 4 guys had moved in and were using the holes. We drilled some more but slowly moved in as there were quite a few unused holes. The other guys were some ****ed at us...but when we explained the situation a couple of them cooled down...but a couple didn't. What's your take/opinion on this?

Savage Bacon
02-28-2022, 07:48 PM
I think they're open game. It sucks that you wanted to return there tho.

It's like if you saw someone dropping a deuce in a 5 gallon pail you left in the woods. Do you run up yelling at him, or give him some time in peace.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

liketoshoot
02-28-2022, 07:49 PM
Just because you where there yesterday doesn’t give you a pass for tomorrow, should of camped over night. Early bird gets the worm sorta speak

Thats my 2 bits

roper1
02-28-2022, 08:02 PM
Lake is fair game. If there's a desired spot, get there first.

pikergolf
02-28-2022, 08:04 PM
This happened quite a few years ago but every now and then it pops into my head. We were at a lake in N. Sask and had driven to a spot about 6 mi. across the lake. We were familiar with the lake and knew where to go. And throughout the day had drilled quite a few holes. Come morning we headed back to the same place....only another 4 guys had moved in and were using the holes. We drilled some more but slowly moved in as there were quite a few unused holes. The other guys were some ****ed at us...but when we explained the situation a couple of them cooled down...but a couple didn't. What's your take/opinion on this?

This can't be a serious question. :thinking-006:

Hunter4ever12
02-28-2022, 08:10 PM
Definitely on board with early bird gets the worm deal. That’s why I make sure I’m in my spot first thing every morning. Only thing I hate is when people decide to squeeze in on your space,but nothing can be done about it so no point losing any sleep over it.

tri777
02-28-2022, 08:15 PM
Would like your opinion on etiquette ??

When you vacated the area, your ..'ownership' of the holes immediately expired.

AlbertanGP
02-28-2022, 08:23 PM
Your group was 100% in the wrong on that one. I suspect you know it, which is why it bothers you to this day.

How would you have liked it if they had shown up out of the blue and horned in on you the first day when you were out there? They probably knew the lake as good or better than you and made the same trek. It's not their fault you didn't get up as early as them. Crowd me on a stocked trout lake in Alberta and I'm probably gonna grumble and get on with it. Encroach on me six miles across a remote northern Saskatchewan lake, and you better be bringing overwhelming numbers or you're going to be moving in short order. That's not chest thumping...that's a short fuse for stupidity.

I can give an example from this weekend how I would/did handle it. My son and I got up at 4:45am Saturday and drove out to a lake in B.C. with the intent of being the first ones on the ice. When we arrived there was a group already out at the spot we wanted to fish. So we kept a respectable distance away (probably 150' or so...far enough away that no one even felt the need to say good morning). Another fellow camping alone in his trailer at the boat launch joined us about an hour later and parked right between us...still enough room that everyone was happy. We had punched a bunch of holes to find the outer weed line edge to the main lake basin and did quite well in the morning for rainbows and brookies. Afternoon came and we decided to go exploring a bit since the lake is still new to us. All the other spots were dead, so we made our way back to our original spot. But the loner was fishing our holes for the afternoon bite, so we found another weed line to fish. As soon as your gear comes out of an area it's free game again. I can't count the number of times on open and hard water where people were moving onto my spot before I even got 100 yards away.

Besides, if you are that reliant on one spot on a lake in northern Saskatchewan you need to take up another hobby. lol.

catnthehat
02-28-2022, 09:08 PM
Hard water, open water, doesn't matter. if you lleaave, it's open for others to use.
Cat

EZM
02-28-2022, 09:23 PM
I agree - first one on the spot gets the spot. So if they beat you there on day 2 - so be it - good for them. Best thing to do is find somewhere else or leave them a reasonable amount of distance and be cool.

I've had people come up and set up right on top of us, in fact, we had a few tip up holes and were moving them around and before you know it they were dipping into those holes, so I think hmmmmmmmmm kinda presumptuous, and within an hour or so, we heard someone near the tent and wouldn't you know it, fishing out of a hole, literally between our groups two tents, 30 feet from the door - right between the two tents. I was literally re-stringing the tip up and re-tying it inside the tent and it was out of the water like maybe 5 minutes.

Oh well, some people are never taught manners and never given boundaries. Good news is when I came out with the tip up in hand the person was oh, sorry, were you using this hole????? lol - I said yeah, but that's cool - have at er' ..... lol - person shoved off after another 5 minutes anyways.

Just was bewildered how that wouldn't seem weird to them - or kinda rude - I just don't get some people.

No point in being a jerk, but I think my expression and lack of small friendly talk maybe dropped a bit of a hint.

58thecat
03-01-2022, 06:58 AM
Well the way I see it is you were a bit too late getting back on the ice and if you were to set up around that area give at least 50 yards room.
Go over after all set up and say hi and chat up what you had seen there the day before etc sometimes more than often they will just openly say hey come join us.
And we all know what was hot the day before could be cold the next day as fish move and maybe they did you a favour then:)

Frank_NK28
03-01-2022, 07:15 AM
Not much you can do. People have to realize nobody has ownership over any spot and all who use the waters are as much entitled to fish any spot they wish as the next person. Nobody also has the right to say how close or how far from each other you need to fish, from a legal standpoint you cannot stop someone from fishing shoulder to shoulder with you. It is only common courtesy that dictates you don't do such a thing. As for holes already made from someone having previously fished there? Use them if that's your wish. Myself I never have, I make my own new ones. I've watched and listened to more guys blow a gasket arguing with some fisherman who was fishing a spot nobody was on when they started the day and suddenly someone shows up invariably claiming that spot was theirs. And you always hear them yelling the same thing. "You couldn't see the holes?!" I've only had a confrontation once many years ago when a fellow got real mad I was fishing next to his shack. I was a good 30 yards away and my furthest line was 20 yards from one of his old holes. He got so mad he jumped in his truck and proceeded to do donuts around my truck and lines. Then he took off back to his hut and did a big donut around his own before losing control and ramming into his shack knocking it off the blocks he had set it on. Him and his wife stood on the ice for a second looking at it then turned and both started screaming at me that it was my fault. It was quite a show and it turned out to be the brother and sister-in law of one of my buddies wive's. She was so ****ed when I was telling them the antics I had met that day while fishing when I stopped on my way home to give them a feed of fish she picked up her cel phone, called her brother and started giving him royal **** for acting like such a douche. Meanwhile my buddy is sitting in his big recliner chair laughing his head off at her chewing out her brother and telling me what a pair of losers the brother and his wife are. He says "oh yeah I can see them doing that, they think they own the lake".

Positrac
03-01-2022, 07:34 AM

My opinion is you should have started drilling a bunch of new holes in a 50 foot radius around them. If they were smart, they would have figured out what you were doing and left. If not, eventually you’ll hear some cracking followed by a “bloop” sound, maybe some gasps or screams, and there will be one big hole where they used to be fishing.

tirebob
03-01-2022, 08:07 AM
Personally I subscribe to a spot being mine only until the end of the day when I pack up and leave. Once my stuff is gone, it is fair game for anyone else. If a hot day fishing has been had and observed, a guy either needs to camp there and keep it or show up before anyone else the next day.

Nobody gets to make a claim longer than that and in my humble opinion is poor manners assuming such, not the other way around.

Smoky buck
03-01-2022, 08:19 AM
Personally I subscribe to a spot being mine only until the end of the day when I pack up and leave. Once my stuff is gone, it is fair game for anyone else. If a hot day fishing has been had and observed, a guy either needs to camp there and keep it or show up before anyone else the next day.

Nobody gets to make a claim longer than that and in my humble opinion is poor manners assuming such, not the other way around.

What this guy says

If someone is already fishing a location I planned to fish I switch to another spot I know or use it as an excuse to explore other areas. I find lots of good spots because of this

Will add crowding others is rude too. Personally I try to avoid others and go out of my way to fish away from the crowds so I get annoyed by people who try to come cuddle. But will make exceptions for cute women who are barely clothed wanting to learn how to fish :sHa_shakeshout:

burbotman
03-01-2022, 09:40 AM
Public waters, public land first come first serve. IMO proper etiquette would be leaving the spot to them and moving on. This theme is often found being discussed on the hunting forum

Macdrizzle
03-01-2022, 09:44 AM
how do you know that your group is the only group that knows this spot? Perhaps they also knew that spot too from their gps waypoints, saw some vacated holes and decided to fish that area. At the end of the day you don't own the lake.

I've had people do this to me too but instead of confronting them I just go to my next spot because by making a big stink about it, you just made it clear to others that they hit the golden hole jackpot, guaranteeing they'll be back next time. Whereas if you didn't confront them maybe they would have had a slow fishing day and never to be seen again at the hole. Gotta think long term

antlercarver
03-01-2022, 06:02 PM
Even though have lived in the area and fished local lakes for 60+ years, I get lectured by people who bought or built a cabin on a lake in the last 5-10 years.
They tell me about THIER lake. The lake can be 8 miles long and they own a
70 ft. lot, but its THIER lake, its THIER beach and boat launch even if they are out only on weekends and 2 weeks during summer.

3blade
03-01-2022, 10:27 PM
Whoever gets there first owns it for as long as they are there.

I personally don’t care if someone else is fishing near me (not in holes I drilled) but I’ll say something if theres screwing around on sleds/loose dogs/loud music.

Now if you drive up close in a truck, you’re getting sent off real quick and I won’t be nice about it. Trucks don’t float and have no business being on the ice, you take that chance somewhere that won’t affect me and my stuff.

Best practice is walk up and ask politely, everyone has different opinions so just keep it safe and positive.

-JR-
03-01-2022, 10:31 PM
I know how you feel !
Many times I have a waypoint to get to across a lake in my boat .
No other boats on the lake except when i get to my spot .

Just the way it goes sometimes .

It could have been him driving up and I was on his spot !

jef612
03-02-2022, 08:29 AM
There are some comments in this thread that just make me shake my head. This is the simplest situation and requires no thought or discussion. Y'all are overthinking this

You own nothing in the public realm - it belongs to all of us and none of us at the very same time :) The old golden rule applies here - just treat other people like you would wish to be treated.

I would walk over, introduce myself and let them know the hot lure from yesterday and offer any tips that I had, then move on and find another spot to fish. Who knows - maybe you find a new fishin' buddy out of the the deal?

Society is getting too focused on the legalities and technicalities. Just be a decent person, consider your fellow sportsman and you don't run into issues out there. Be kind and help a guy out, it all comes back around in the end.

SNAPFisher
03-02-2022, 09:07 AM
There are some comments in this thread that just make me shake my head. This is the simplest situation and requires no thought or discussion. Y'all are overthinking this

You own nothing in the public realm - it belongs to all of us and none of us at the very same time :) The old golden rule applies here - just treat other people like you would wish to be treated.

I would walk over, introduce myself and let them know the hot lure from yesterday and offer any tips that I had, then move on and find another spot to fish. Who knows - maybe you find a new fishin' buddy out of the the deal?

Society is getting too focused on the legalities and technicalities. Just be a decent person, consider your fellow sportsman and you don't run into issues out there. Be kind and help a guy out, it all comes back around in the end.

Good comments :)

sns2
03-03-2022, 10:21 AM
My own rule of thumb is that if a guy is fishing where I also normally fish on the ice that’s fine. I just move far enough away that they cannot hear my conversation. If they can hear my voice then I am bothering them. if they can’t hear me then no one should be getting bent out of shape. I have only gotten ito it with one guy Ice fishing. They were hundreds of yards away, but saw we were catching fish. They kept moving closer until I stopped the guy from drilling his hole 10 feet away. We got into it good. He left. Enough said.

kevinhits
03-03-2022, 05:37 PM

That's the problem too many ****heads and new fisherman that don't give a crap/respect for anyone else these days. I always give more than enough space to others on the ice. I cannot fathom someone coming close enough to fish my own drilled, empty holes that I may or not be using. Never happened in all my 25 years of fishing, but if it did, I would lose my mind.

58thecat
03-04-2022, 12:11 AM

Well said and spot on.

barbless
03-04-2022, 05:58 PM
Exactly!!!!!! You own nothing on any lake. Not sure but if you are on lake side (front) you might have some sort of leeway for your dockage space and that COULD Still be questionable????

old dog
03-04-2022, 07:28 PM
Well said and spot on.

Totally agree

fordtruckin
03-04-2022, 08:09 PM
Had an ice fishing tournament last week. During the rules meeting they even reiterated I’d you leave your hole and someone moves in, it’s theirs until they leave. Next day it’s first come first serve!