PDA

View Full Version : Carson/Mcleod

Sooner
03-01-2022, 12:50 PM
Was out there on the weekend after many years. I seen some sled tracks on both. One kid riding a sled on Carson. Years back we used sleds to access Carson from the parking lot so I assume that is still allowed.

We drove onto McLeod Sunday but that access/road will not be doable once it warms up for any length of time. Good luck getting up off the lake with soft snow. Whoever has that camper on the ice will have some fun soon.

With it being a provincial park and seeing sled tracks, I assume sleds/atvs can still be used to access the lakes. But can you off load say at Carson and drive over to McLeod on a sled or atv to try that lake first?

Just curious if I can legally atv over from Carson with the gear in the Magnum sled seeing I would then be using an atv in a provincial park.

On the fishing side of things, McLeod was a bust. Seen some whites on cam, no pike on cam or bites. Man that lake has one heck of a drop off. First time trying it, going to try it in the summer.

At Carson we had some bites, fought a couple halfway up but nothing out. Was fun to remember how those trout bite. One will nibble, one will hit hard like a walleye and then there is the dead weight when you pull up.

Thanks for any info on the use of atv/sleds on the road from lake to lake.

-JR-
03-01-2022, 01:09 PM
In Cold Lake provincial campgrounds ,they will ticket you if you unload in the parking lot and drive on to the lake . I guess it all depends who is working that day . Best to unload on the lake .

Sooner
03-01-2022, 03:41 PM
In Cold Lake provincial campgrounds ,they will ticket you if you unload in the parking lot and drive on to the lake . I guess it all depends who is working that day . Best to unload on the lake .

I hear ya, don't need a ticket or worse. Carson you can walk on pulling a sled from the parking lot. McLeod is a couple kms of once or twice plowed road, narrow enough two trucks could not pass. Then the drop onto the lake would be impossible to get back up with a truck when this snow starts melting. Its using the atv to get to McLeod from Carson's lot is where I think you get in trouble.

May need to call Whitecourt F & W

keeks
03-02-2022, 09:57 PM
This is the first year in a long time they haven't plowed that road on the regular. I didn't chance it. Carson has been fishing poorly.

Sooner
03-03-2022, 09:58 AM
This is the first year in a long time they haven't plowed that road on the regular. I didn't chance it. Carson has been fishing poorly.

Ya, once we were on that road, we were committed and I was hoping I would not see another coming from the lake as one of us would have to back out a long way.

We had a few bites to keep us entertained at Carson in the 2 hrs we were there as we spent most of the time on McLeod. It was our first time there and had all the gear set up for Pike. Carson we just found a spot where some holes were drilled and reopened the 1/4 inch of ice and fished from our chairs.

Looks like were going back on Sunday and will be there most of the day, see what we can catch on Carson this time. Not trying to get to McLeod again with a truck and warm temps to soften the snow.

Sooner
03-03-2022, 11:29 AM
FYI: Whitecourt CO says you can unload your atv/sled in either parking lot and drive to the lake as long as it is a direct route onto the lake. As I thought, you can't use the road ways between lakes with your atv/sled. He said the road into Little McLeod should be plowed like the rest. Not sure why it has not been this year.