PDA

View Full Version : Frontier Lodge GSL

roosterman
03-01-2022, 03:41 PM
Looking to book a summer trip north in 2023 and seeking input on Frontier Lodge. Anybody been? Review of the lodge?
Thanks.

fishpro
03-01-2022, 06:42 PM
I was there in 2011 and found it to be somewhat underwhelming, but still with some good aspects.

Pike fishing - some bays with lots of good sized fish as well as some monsters, I caught a 50 incher. That being said, there weren't a lot of places to fish them and only spent 1.5 days out of 5.5 fishing them even though they were what I wanted to target the most.

Grayling - Outstanding, the river by the lodge is excellent!

Lakers - not great, most days I didn't see anything over 8 lbs, but decent numbers. One day I got 4 fish in the mid to upper teens.

Location - Not as remote as some places, there's a small town across the lake. The lodge has/had a shop that the locals come to shop at while guests are out fishing, but one night a local came and was obnoxiously begging to use the phone (or something like that) while the guests were having dinner.

Staff / Management - My guide and the manager really did not seem to care about what I wanted my week to look like, but my understanding is that the lodge is under new management now.

Would I go back? Maybe one day to return to the bay where I caught the trophy pike and do a bit of grayling fishing, but probably not as I feel there are probably a ton of better places to go.

guru fisher
03-02-2022, 06:56 AM
Go to Lake Athabasca or Cree they are way better. Ive guided on Lake Ath B and the FFL at Lutselke. Lake Athabasca was just way better. More big trout and Pike. Indian Head is the only one I think that is running. I guided for Lakers Unlimited not sure if they are still going ?

Dewey Cox
03-02-2022, 07:27 AM
Anyone ever go to ubiquity lake?

fishpro
03-02-2022, 10:11 AM
Go to Lake Athabasca or Cree they are way better. Ive guided on Lake Ath B and the FFL at Lutselke. Lake Athabasca was just way better. More big trout and Pike. Indian Head is the only one I think that is running. I guided for Lakers Unlimited not sure if they are still going ?

Totally agree on Lake Athabasca, unreal fishing! I was up there in in fall 2019 and the fishing for lakers in the shallows was great, and there were also a few big pike around. I went with Lakers Unlimited and have nothing but great things to say (looks like they are operating this summer)

When did you guide for them?

marky_mark
03-02-2022, 01:16 PM
We have a group heading to plummers this summer
July 8-11
Heard nothing but great things
The deal was too good to pass up as well

guru fisher
03-02-2022, 01:57 PM
I guided at spring bay in 2000. I also guided at Plummers. The best lodge is Trophy lodge and the old arctic circle lodge. Great Bear is best for big trout. Lake Ath B for big pike especially at Spring and Maurice Bay. Overall Lake Athabasca is the best overall and Ive guide the triple giants of the north. Bear, Slave and Ath a B

-JR-
03-02-2022, 02:00 PM
We have a group heading to plummers this summer
July 8-11
Heard nothing but great things
The deal was too good to pass up as well

Which Plummers are you booked in for . Slave or great bear

Lowrance Fishburn
03-02-2022, 02:57 PM
I can also vouch for lake Athabasca. I was lucky enough to fly up there twice and stayed both times at Indian Head. Had great guides and caught plenty of huge lakers and pike. End of June, which is still very much spring time up there is prime time IMO. Also Arctic Lodges on Reindeer lake is excellent. I had a not so great guide on that trip but the fishing was nonetheless excellent. Huge pike and lakers but the huge lakers were a bit harder to find than Athabasca. Try to ensure wherever you go that there is no fire ban or anything else that might prevent you from being able to enjoy a daily shore lunch. One of the best aspects of those trips I'd say. Also, both lodges I mentioned had excellent owner/managing staff.

marky_mark
03-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Which Plummers are you booked in for . Slave or great bear

Great slave
Only have time for 3 days
Fits perfectly

guru fisher
03-03-2022, 10:12 AM
I can also vouch for lake Athabasca. I was lucky enough to fly up there twice and stayed both times at Indian Head. Had great guides and caught plenty of huge lakers and pike. End of June, which is still very much spring time up there is prime time IMO. Also Arctic Lodges on Reindeer lake is excellent. I had a not so great guide on that trip but the fishing was nonetheless excellent. Huge pike and lakers but the huge lakers were a bit harder to find than Athabasca. Try to ensure wherever you go that there is no fire ban or anything else that might prevent you from being able to enjoy a daily shore lunch. One of the best aspects of those trips I'd say. Also, both lodges I mentioned had excellent owner/managing staff.

Inidan head yup thats the place to go !!!!! not sure if Johnson Island lodge is going its good their too.

fishpro
03-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Inidan head yup thats the place to go !!!!! not sure if Johnson Island lodge is going its good their too.

It's still running as far as I know. I would highly recommend this lodge over Frontier Fishing Lodge after having fished both of them.

Twisted Canuck
03-19-2022, 09:52 PM
I'm going to be going for 3 days in July with a friend from Australia who is visiting. I will let you know how it goes. It was kind of a last minute deal, and pretty much every place is booked for the season. Frontier had a cancellation and was able to accommodate us. Hoping we have a good time.

guru fisher
03-20-2022, 08:14 PM
you will enjoy the grayling fishing in the Stark River. Stark Lake is good to for Pike and Lakers.