PDA

View Full Version : Shore Fishing Van Island

slamilton
03-06-2022, 04:01 PM
I am looking to head to Victoria and Nanaimo for a few days in Mid May, any chance of shore fishing. I am with family and 4 yr old so not a lot of time to sneak away but would love the chance to catch anything and not necessarily keep. Any recommendations of area or what to use would be much appreciated. I wont have a boat an cant afford a charter. Thanks in advance.

Sitkaspruce
03-06-2022, 07:18 PM
In Victoria

The breakwater is the best place. A good chance of catching a ling cod, rock cod, greenling and maybe even a salmon. Its also a nice walk on a sunny day as it hooks up with the waterfront walk from either Beacon Hill Park of downtown Victoria.

I grew up fishing the Breakwater, would catch the bus down to the Breakwater, catch a bunch of fish and travel back on the bus with those fish in plastic bag.....people back in those days would ask questions and tell you Nice catch.....today you probably wouldn't be allowed on the bus.

Not sure about Nanaimo.

You can go to here and ask about both places.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum

Cheers

SS

HuyFishin
03-06-2022, 07:51 PM
Breakwater / Ogden point is also good.
10 mile point is a great spot
Not sure what’s around during that time but u can ask some locals if anything is around “billing spit”

I’ve only fished billing spit once so I’m not too familiar with it.

If you can’t afford a charter u can rent your own boat and take your family fishing. It’s about 40 dollars per hour plus fuel right now at pedder bay marina and oak bay marina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jays toyz
03-08-2022, 01:09 PM
Caught my last spring in a rental boat from pedder pay. Mooching cut plug herring a 5 years ago now. That will ruin you for fishing fresh water for a while.