03-10-2022, 09:38 AM
8 Swivel
0 bead
I ? crimp sleeve ?

/ / blade
0 0 bead
I I crimp sleeve
H H treble hook

im curios about the top crimp sleeve. does it get crimped or does it sit free and can you explain what its purpose is

im not sure how to design it over characters and not sure how to upload pictures. this set-up is connected with 1 length of wire running from 1 end hook throught everything to the other end hook

WayneChristie
03-10-2022, 11:01 AM
I like to go against the flow. tried all sorts of styles and combinations of quickstrike rigs on pike, and finally decided the best way to hook up big pike and walleye, for me at least, is a single hook rig(usually a 4/0) on a 40 pound fluorocarbon leader with zero hardware inline besides the hook. Ive landed a lot more big fish using this rig than a bunch of trebles especially on fussy fish days, theres not much of anything to alert them, and a single is much easier to hide in a bait. This way cuts down on a ton of fish injuries, and fisherman injuries too. If they do swallow the hook Id think it would be a lot easier for it to get through the fish than 2 or 3 big trebles. I watch my baits, with the camera so I know when the hook is in the fishes mouth, then its a simple matter to lift the rod and set the hook. I do have singles on my tipups but they are a very last resort for me to use, I hate using them as it is. Single hooks let you use a lot smaller bait on the days the big girls would rather sip down a coctail weenie than a big fishy herring.
Not saying anyone else should go this way, just that it works for me and better than any quickstrike rigs Ive tried.:sHa_shakeshout::fighting0074:

pikergolf
03-10-2022, 11:27 AM
8 Swivel
0 bead
I ? crimp sleeve ?

/ / blade
0 0 bead
I I crimp sleeve
H H treble hook

im curios about the top crimp sleeve. does it get crimped or does it sit free and can you explain what its purpose is

im not sure how to design it over characters and not sure how to upload pictures. this set-up is connected with 1 length of wire running from 1 end hook throught everything to the other end hook

It is to crimp the line on the swivel end. Only the bottom hook is crimped, the top hook is free to slide up and down the wire. The bottom hook goes in to the smelt around the dorsal fin and the sliding hook goes into the tail of the bait. The bait is suspended head down or laying on the bottom.

Mrmagoo850
03-10-2022, 11:49 AM
blank

Mrmagoo850
03-10-2022, 11:50 AM
It is to crimp the line on the swivel end. Only the bottom hook is crimped, the top hook is free to slide up and down the wire. The bottom hook goes in to the smelt around the dorsal fin and the sliding hook goes into the tail of the bait. The bait is suspended head down or laying on the bottom.
ive seen some crimped and others not crimped. why?

alanflyfisher
03-10-2022, 12:35 PM
Totally agree with Wayne Christie above.

pikergolf
03-10-2022, 12:43 PM
ive seen some crimped and others not crimped. why?

There are a few different ways of doing it, the method I outlined is how the inventors used it. Some do it differently, if you google how to do it you will see different methods. Use whichever makes the most sense to you. There are no hard and fast rules.

Frank_NK28
03-10-2022, 01:00 PM
Most fish quick-strike rigs incorrectly to begin with by hanging the bait horizontal and most commercial quick-strike rigs are made with hooks larger than needed. The idea behind quick-strike rigs is exactly that, to be able to strike aka set the hook without waiting for the fish to take tons of line and turn the bait to swallow it. If used properly, bait hanging as close to vertical as possible and hook set as soon as you grab the line the hooks are designed to catch the fish by the lip not swallowed and in it's throat. The one in the pics above with a single hook looks good! Fish is hooked the way the rig is designed to work. I use 80# fluoro leaders to make my own and run #8 size treble hooks. Gord Pyzer who as we all know is a very accomplished angler has some great videos on youtube on how to fish quick-strike rigs and he uses #6 size treble hooks on his! I leave one sleeve uncrimped on the second hook to allow the hook to be adjusted to fit the size of bait I am running.

Dave P
03-10-2022, 01:06 PM
I think you are over thinking it.

I like messing around and making my own in all sorts of sizes and styles. All seem to work. If your making one, might as well make a couple variations go with what works for you.

mapleleafman3
03-10-2022, 01:24 PM
Agree with Wayne as well. I stopped using trebles and go with a single octopus hook. Almost always hook em in the lip.

Mrmagoo850
03-10-2022, 01:30 PM
again people are commenting about their own opinions about irrelevant information. im asking why is the single top barrel sleeve not crimped but aloud to slide freely up and down? as you ca msee in thease pictures, the sleeves slides freely

Frank_NK28
03-10-2022, 01:54 PM
To adjust the hook spread...I've used those style quick-strike rigs...personally not a fan.

huntsfurfish
03-10-2022, 01:59 PM
again people are commenting about their own opinions about irrelevant information. im asking why is the single top barrel sleeve not crimped but aloud to slide freely up and down? as you ca msee in thease pictures, the sleeves slides freely

My opinion and irrelevant information is you are fortunate that many on here took time to respond to your post. And a response like yours hopefully was not intended to come across like that. :)

Frank_NK28
03-10-2022, 02:15 PM

This^^^guess the OP missed it in all the irrelevant info...:fighting0074:

stein
03-10-2022, 02:24 PM
that looks like a predator rig, not a quick strike :scared0018:

https://1source.basspro.com/news-tips/fishing-tackle/5156/basics-quick-strike-rig

WayneChristie
03-10-2022, 02:29 PM

OK I will make a note to leave you alone. thanks have fun fishing !

burbotman
03-10-2022, 03:05 PM
Agree with Wayne as well. I stopped using trebles and go with a single octopus hook. Almost always hook em in the lip.

Similar set up for me but I am a huge fan/believer in circle hooks. No big hook set just tighten up and pull firm. Amazing how few deep hooked fish I see even on tip ups if I am not quick to get there

Mrmagoo850
03-10-2022, 03:50 PM
To adjust the hook spread...I've used those style quick-strike rigs...personally not a fan.

thank you for answering details i was looking for

Mrmagoo850
03-10-2022, 03:51 PM
that looks like a predator rig, not a quick strike :scared0018:

https://1source.basspro.com/news-tips/fishing-tackle/5156/basics-quick-strike-rig

thank for correcting my error

Hunter4ever12
03-10-2022, 06:29 PM
thank you for answering details i was looking for

Next time use google,might be more up your alley then a friendly forum :)

HL_transplant
03-10-2022, 06:50 PM

Agree totally over decades of trial and error I found these rigs are super inefficient..