PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable PFD's???

graybeard
03-11-2022, 09:53 AM
With the new boating season coming up on us, I was looking to upgrade my bulky PFD to an automatic co2 inflatable one.

In searching here on AO the last entry was 2017 and I know little about them and I am sure they have improved since that time.

I would like the model that will automatically inflate, if you should fall into the water.

What are you guys using?
Any suggestions?
Anything to stay away from?
Pitfalls?
Any for sale?

Thanks in advance.

dodgeboy1979
03-11-2022, 10:50 AM
I don't recommend them at all. To be legal the co2 cartridge has to be inspected all the time to ensure it will function. The port for inflating the vest yourself sounds good however if you are in cold water you may not be able to calm your breathing down enough to inflate it if the co2 system fails. There are alot of real good standard pfd's that allow for more movement etc.... Also keep in mind that people under the age of 16 can not wear a self infating pfd.

graybeard
03-11-2022, 11:00 AM
I don't recommend them at all. To be legal the co2 cartridge has to be inspected all the time to ensure it will function. The port for inflating the vest yourself sounds good however if you are in cold water you may not be able to calm your breathing down enough to inflate it if the co2 system fails. There are a lot of real good standard pfd's that allow for more movement etc.... Also keep in mind that people under the age of 16 can not wear a self inflating pfd.

Thanks Dodge.....Cost aside, I am looking at having more mobility but also what trumps that is, if someone collides with you and you are unconscious when you hit the water....it automatically inflates.

Maybe I'll just stay with what has been proven over the last 50 years....Hmmm?

Cheers,

dodgeboy1979
03-11-2022, 11:11 AM
https://mustangsurvival.ca/collections/foam-pfds/products/slipstream-foam-vest-mv7161

This is the one I wear for work. It gives your arms great mobility.

Wes_G
03-11-2022, 11:51 PM
There are all kinds of price ranges and have never figured out what the differences really are, as long as they will auto inflate that's all you really need. They are the only way to go especially on hot summer days.

I just have a bunch of the Bass Pro Am/24. My old man has set his off twice now by catching the pull cord on something in the boat and activating, I normally have mine tucked up inside so as not to do that.

They go on sale quit often at Cabelas/Bass Pro so you shouldn't have to wait to long for them to come up on sale if they aren't right now.

tallieho
03-12-2022, 06:12 AM
With the new boating season coming up on us, I was looking to upgrade my bulky PFD to an automatic co2 inflatable one.

In searching here on AO the last entry was 2017 and I know little about them and I am sure they have improved since that time.

I would like the model that will automatically inflate, if you should fall into the water.

What are you guys using?
Any suggestions?
Anything to stay away from?
Pitfalls?
Any for sale?

Thanks in advance.

I have had several ,over the years.Never had an issue,with inflateing.Years back,they were illegal.Because Canada didn't approve them.They were only then approved by US Coast guard

My logic was ,back then.if the US Coast guArd approve them ,for what they do.Should be more than adequate for my carcass. I do change co2 cylinder yearly. .50 cents ea at BP....

Lornce
03-12-2022, 07:43 AM
I use the Mustang auto inflation. Saved my life in a boating accedent.

Jayhad
03-12-2022, 12:49 PM
I used to guide the Bow a fair bit and tended to drift the NW/inner city section, where the police love to check you out everyday, and you are required to wear a PFD.

I have both the mustang and Bass Pro auto inflatable PFDs.
The bass pros are slimmer and the pull cord stays in place, where as my mustangs the pull cord makes it's way out of the vest after a couple of hours of casting. Then the pull cord gets caught up in line and possibly triggered.

I tend to always grab the BPS PFDs when heading out.

Both keep you floating and I can't tell a real difference in the actual performance of the vest.

When anglers enter the boat they are told who ever is wearing the vest is responsible for replacing the cartridge if it goes off.

Caution should be practiced with inflatables; when placing in a poor location it can be blown into the water or heavy rains can cause them to inflate.

I do change co2 cylinder yearly. .50 cents ea at BP....

The replacement CO2 cylinders are not 50 cents each, the cylinders are $32.00.
But ask yourself this; are the cylinders punched prior to inflating?
and if not, why replace them?

David Henry
03-12-2022, 02:08 PM
I was fishing of the west coast of Vancouver Island last summer and things were rough so the guide had us put on the PDF inflatables, how nice it was to fish without the bulky conventional life jacket. When I got back home to Alberta I stopped in at Bass Pro and found they had them on sale so I bought one and look forward using it this summer. So much less restriction of movement was what sold me. D.H.

SNAPFisher
03-12-2022, 02:44 PM
The replacement CO2 cylinders are not 50 cents each, the cylinders are $32.00.
But ask yourself this; are the cylinders punched prior to inflating?
and if not, why replace them?

A post that makes sense!
No kidding. I'm pretty sure I paid at least that - .50 cents no way. Also not sure either why someone would replace it every year. Mine has an indicator on it that tells you when to replace. The only time I have had to replace is, like you said, left it in the back of the boat on a rainy day....scared the crap out of me when it went off!

Gerald J
03-12-2022, 03:12 PM
I have both the mustang and Bass Pro auto inflatable PFDs.
The bass pros are slimmer and the pull cord stays in place, where as my mustangs the pull cord makes it's way out of the vest after a couple of hours of casting. Then the pull cord gets caught up in line and possibly triggered.

I tend to always grab the BPS PFDs when heading out.

Thanks for that tip. I was wondering about the use with a vest.

Pikebreath
03-12-2022, 04:16 PM
Another vote for the the BPS auto inflate vest. They are very comfortable. You tend to forget you have it on, so it stays on through the day. The fact is for any vest to be of any use, you have to be wearing it.

Vapor
03-14-2022, 10:21 AM
I have the Mustang auto inflatable. Super comfortable to wear in the kayak where space is a premium. I even wear it under my winter jacket early ice fishing in case I ever break through. You'd never know you had it on. Love it.

Frank_NK28
03-14-2022, 10:24 AM
There are all kinds of price ranges and have never figured out what the differences really are, as long as they will auto inflate that's all you really need. They are the only way to go especially on hot summer days.

I just have a bunch of the Bass Pro Am/24. My old man has set his off twice now by catching the pull cord on something in the boat and activating, I normally have mine tucked up inside so as not to do that.

They go on sale quit often at Cabelas/Bass Pro so you shouldn't have to wait to long for them to come up on sale if they aren't right now.

This^^^ fortunately I have never caught the cord on mine. LOL

SamSteele
03-14-2022, 12:39 PM
There are generally three different models.

Manual inflation: You have to pull the cord to inflate. Getting it wet won't cause it to inflate. I'm not a fan because they won't save you if you get knocked out before hitting the water.

Automatic inflation: You can manually inflate them by pulling the cord, or there is a small wafer that dissolves when it gets wet, triggering the inflation of the vest. This can be from falling in the lake or, in some cases, from heavy rain. Replacing the cartridges after firing requires replacing the wafer too, and these recharge kits are around $30.

Hydrostatic inflation: These can be manually inflated by pulling the cord as well, and they also have a replaceable wafer inside the trigger mechanism however they require a certain amount of hydrostatic pressure to dissolve and activate the inflation. This pressure comes from going below the water surface a small distance. The advantage is that they are far less susceptible to firing just by being made wet from rain. The disadvantage is they are the most expensive to buy outright and the recharge kits are more costly as well.

I hope that helps.

SS

Frank_NK28
03-14-2022, 01:23 PM
There are generally three different models.

Manual inflation: You have to pull the cord to inflate. Getting it wet won't cause it to inflate. I'm not a fan because they won't save you if you get knocked out before hitting the water.

Automatic inflation: You can manually inflate them by pulling the cord, or there is a small wafer that dissolves when it gets wet, triggering the inflation of the vest. This can be from falling in the lake or, in some cases, from heavy rain. Replacing the cartridges after firing requires replacing the wafer too, and these recharge kits are around $30.

Hydrostatic inflation: These can be manually inflated by pulling the cord as well, and they also have a replaceable wafer inside the trigger mechanism however they require a certain amount of hydrostatic pressure to dissolve and activate the inflation. This pressure comes from going below the water surface a small distance. The advantage is that they are far less susceptible to firing just by being made wet from rain. The disadvantage is they are the most expensive to buy outright and the recharge kits are more costly as well.

I hope that helps.

SS

My wife and I wear the Bass Pro Automatic Inflation vests. I keep them stored in the house hanging in the closet on hangers when not in use. They are very comfortable to wear. I will probably pick up a couple new ones this year as spares for company in the boat. They take up less room than traditional pfd's in the under floor storage locker.

SamSteele
03-14-2022, 02:47 PM
My wife and I wear the Bass Pro Automatic Inflation vests. I keep them stored in the house hanging in the closet on hangers when not in use. They are very comfortable to wear. I will probably pick up a couple new ones this year as spares for company in the boat. They take up less room than traditional pfd's in the under floor storage locker.

I have the Cabela's Automatic version as well. The HIT's are really nice but they are also pretty expensive. I've had two of the automatic versions go off unintentionally. The first time was due to the pull cord getting pulled when leaning over the gunnel. The second was due to heavy rain. The Automatic versions go on sale periodically as well.

If you go with any inflatable PFD, I would suggest having a spare rearm kit in your boat incase it happens to go off accidentally.

Walleyedude
03-15-2022, 07:06 AM
I love my inflatables, I'd have a really hard time going back to a regular life jacket of any kind. They're so much more comfortable and convenient. Lightweight, cool in the summer, easy to put over your layers when it's cold, and never "in the way" when fishing.

The other big upside to them, is they're true "life jackets", they will turn you over and float you face up in the case you get knocked out, the cold water shocks you, or you're just plain too tired to swim. A lot of the "comfortable" and typical water skiing style PFDs out there will not do that.

I would STRONGLY recommend spending the extra money to go with an auto inflate model. Relying on having the wherewithal and the physical ability to find and pull a cord in an emergency is a HUGE risk to my mind. Unconsciousness, injury, cold water, or even just panic can make that a life or death situation very quickly. I find myself fishing in the pouring rain more often than I'd like, and things tend to get wet now and then, so I'm a big fan of the hydrostatic (HIT) models, well worth the extra cost in my opinion for the peace of mind and reliability.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that inflatables only count as a PFD for the sake of the boating regulations if being worn at the time. Having an extra one in the boat, or having it in storage, does not count, and you will get ticketed for not having a life jacket. If you're going to use an inflatable, but not always be wearing it, then to be legal, you need to have an extra PFD somewhere in the boat for each person on board. Also, as has been mentioned, they're not legal for anyone under the age of 16.

Spend the money on a good auto inflatable. You'll never regret it. You'll find yourself far more willing to actually wear your lifejacket, and that's priceless in the event things ever go sideways.

Frank_NK28
03-15-2022, 12:53 PM
I have the Cabela's Automatic version as well. The HIT's are really nice but they are also pretty expensive. I've had two of the automatic versions go off unintentionally. The first time was due to the pull cord getting pulled when leaning over the gunnel. The second was due to heavy rain. The Automatic versions go on sale periodically as well.

If you go with any inflatable PFD, I would suggest having a spare rearm kit in your boat incase it happens to go off accidentally.

That is a good idea! Thanks for the tip!

Frank_NK28
03-15-2022, 12:54 PM
i love my inflatables, i'd have a really hard time going back to a regular life jacket of any kind. They're so much more comfortable and convenient. Lightweight, cool in the summer, easy to put over your layers when it's cold, and never "in the way" when fishing.

The other big upside to them, is they're true "life jackets", they will turn you over and float you face up in the case you get knocked out, the cold water shocks you, or you're just plain too tired to swim. A lot of the "comfortable" and typical water skiing style pfds out there will not do that.

I would strongly recommend spending the extra money to go with an auto inflate model. Relying on having the wherewithal and the physical ability to find and pull a cord in an emergency is a huge risk to my mind. Unconsciousness, injury, cold water, or even just panic can make that a life or death situation very quickly. I find myself fishing in the pouring rain more often than i'd like, and things tend to get wet now and then, so i'm a big fan of the hydrostatic (hit) models, well worth the extra cost in my opinion for the peace of mind and reliability.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that inflatables only count as a pfd for the sake of the boating regulations if being worn at the time. Having an extra one in the boat, or having it in storage, does not count, and you will get ticketed for not having a life jacket. If you're going to use an inflatable, but not always be wearing it, then to be legal, you need to have an extra pfd somewhere in the boat for each person on board. Also, as has been mentioned, they're not legal for anyone under the age of 16.

Spend the money on a good auto inflatable. You'll never regret it. You'll find yourself far more willing to actually wear your lifejacket, and that's priceless in the event things ever go sideways.

amen!! :)

graybeard
03-16-2022, 10:49 AM
I think I will be going with the auto inflatable model.....

Thanks everyone for their input...Very helpful.

Now it is a waiting game, for the spring flyer to come out.... :fishing:

elkhunter11
03-16-2022, 11:32 AM
I bought an automatic/manual one from Cabelas a year ago, and everyone that I have boated with since wears the same type. The big advantage of these self inflating pfds, is that they are so comfortable, that people actually wear them.l, instead of sitting on them, or just having them in the boat. I picked up two more on sale at Cabelas this winter and that is what will be carried in my boat for guests. I will also purchase a rearming kit, to keep in the boat.