PDA

View Full Version : Is it still safe on ice?

omf
03-15-2022, 04:01 PM
It's 13/4 degrees now...

Frank_NK28
03-15-2022, 06:48 PM
Depends where you are fishing and current ice conditions. In our neck of the woods it will be a few more weeks before I'd be getting concerned. I cut 34" of ice Saturday with very little snow cover on the ice. The big wind storm we had last week blew a lot of the packed and crusted snow free of the lakes making what little was left for easy travelling.

AlbertanGP
03-15-2022, 07:16 PM
Still gonna be weeks yet. :sHa_shakeshout:

RACKER
03-15-2022, 10:12 PM
It will look bad at a lot of boat launches you drive on. At pigeon 2 yrs ago guys thought I was nuts driving thru 40 yds of water. Shore is where it breaks up and you can get stuck in uneven heaves. The ice should be good to drive on but will be a lot of water and slippery conditions. Be safe everyone and enjoy our last days of hard water.

AltaBorn
03-15-2022, 10:55 PM
It's 13/4 degrees now...

Oh yeah... edges might get slushy but anything around 1 1/2hr from Edmonton will be solid till the end of march. Was out a couple days ago and its drilling holes to the handles on the auger. Im in a heeeeavy rig too. Be smart, stay safe.

graybeard
03-16-2022, 10:12 AM
Sadly, Lake Newell ate an SUV a couple of days ago......Season is over now anyway.....

WayneChristie
03-17-2022, 09:22 AM
Sadly, Lake Newell ate an SUV a couple of days ago......Season is over now anyway.....

what area? Newell can eat a vehicle anytime of the winter, not all the lake has safe ice. I saw a lot of dugouts yesterday open water around the edges down south here, be careful on the lakes !

graybeard
03-17-2022, 01:56 PM
what area? Newell can eat a vehicle anytime of the winter, not all the lake has safe ice. I saw a lot of dugouts yesterday open water around the edges down south here, be careful on the lakes !

I was told its landmark was near a lighthouse.... ?

sorceror
03-17-2022, 03:11 PM
I heard the SUV was driving near the resort area and passed by where the residential drain pipes are.
Luckily it is only 2.5' of water, the SUV's left wheels were in the water, but most other parts stayed on the ice.
It was then pulled out safely the next day.
And the SUV just drove away without problems.

AlbertanGP
03-17-2022, 03:11 PM
Is it still safe on the ice?

If you don't see me post tomorrow, probably not... :)

Reign_Man
03-17-2022, 03:35 PM
I'm being super careful with the higher temperatures lately. I'm walking my sled out on Lower Kananaskis Lake now instead of driving my truck out like I've been doing all season :)

fish99
03-17-2022, 04:47 PM
I'm being super careful with the higher temperatures lately. I'm walking my sled out on Lower Kananaskis Lake now instead of driving my truck out like I've been doing all season :)

you have been driving a truck on lower k lake ?

Reign_Man
03-17-2022, 05:40 PM
you have been driving a truck on lower k lake ?

Nope, that's why I added the emoticon " :) " I'm being a smart ass.