PDA

View Full Version : Update on Federal OIC on "assault style" Weapons

C2C3PO
03-16-2022, 09:41 AM
Apparently in todays Gazette the govt (AGC) has made public an extension to the amnesty program (SOR/2020-97) that was slated to expired in a little over a month.
The new date for the amnesty period ending is October 30, 2023 !

A small but potentially useful victory if the Liberals can be voted out !

Here is the link if you care to confirm for yourselves:

https://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2022/2022-03-16/html/sor-dors45-eng.html

CDN offroader
03-16-2022, 10:34 AM
Good news!

Stinky Buffalo
03-16-2022, 10:44 AM
A small but potentially useful victory if the Liberals can be voted out!

Absolutely!

DirtShooter
03-16-2022, 11:02 AM
BREAKING 🚨

In the face of our injunction application, the government has extended the gun ban amnesty until October 30, 2023.

Excerpt from Canada Gazette Part II, Vol. 156, No. 6 Published 16 March 2022.

Page 871 (or page 180 of PDF):

"The Government of Canada has committed to affording owners an opportunity to participate in a mandatory buyback program or to deactivate their affected firearms at Government expense. The amendments would extend the current amnesty for a period of 18 months, until October 30, 2023, to provide affected owners further time to come into compliance with the law.

The Amnesty Order has been amended to address the identified issues and has been extended for a period of 18 months, to October 30, 2023, to allow affected owners further time to come into compliance with the law."

Relevant pages of PDF are 172 - 187 (Numbered 863 - 878 in document).

Cement Bench
03-16-2022, 11:04 AM
all they did was delay to get their collective act together
this means nothing in the grand scheme of things

Twisted Canuck
03-16-2022, 11:28 AM
Agree. This is basically an admission that they still have no clue how to execute the buyback program, and they are probably realizing that it is going to cost 10x what they advertised because they never include administration costs. They are giving themselves more time to try and keep the whole thing from going sideways, as it *will*. This has nothing to do with throwing a bone to gun owners.

One interesting point in the announcement is the reference to BofC security being exempted from the prohibition, because the assault style weapons are deemed suitable for defense when the application is a Bank. They just aren't suitable for defending gun owners apparently. This point is going to be made in front of Judges in our s74 reference hearings, count on it.

Scott N
03-16-2022, 11:53 AM
It's almost as if there was no plan whatsoever on May 1, 2020, when the OIC was announced, other than the news soundbite they got for a few days. :confused:

Twisted Canuck
03-16-2022, 12:03 PM
I asked my MP to ask Mendocino/Trudeau if a proper gender analysis has been done on the ban and buyback scheme. Because, diversity and inclusion, right? Need to make sure it doesn't adversely effect any marginalized or visible minority.

That should add another year or two on to the amnesty right there, while they make a 2000 page report at a cost of $15M. If they can do it for pipelines, they can do it for guns, Amirite?

Smokinyotes
03-16-2022, 01:16 PM
Extending the amnesty is exactly what I thought the libs would do. I wouldn’t be surprised if Oct 30 of next year it is extended again as everyone knows the libs only talk the talk and never actually do anything.

-JR-
03-16-2022, 01:35 PM
So why do you need an"assault style" Weapon ?

Forgive me but ,are these rife for shooting people ?

If so ,it kind of sounds like a person buying one is planning to go shoot some one !

PartTimeHunter
03-16-2022, 01:45 PM

If so ,it kind of sounds like a person buying one is planning to go shoot some one !

They are commonly referred to as patrol carbines in the hands of leo

Twisted Canuck
03-16-2022, 01:57 PM

Is that a serious post, or were you being sarcastic? I honestly can't tell.

crazy_davey
03-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Is that a serious post, or were you being sarcastic? I honestly can't tell.

I was wondering the same thing. My post wasn’t as polite so I just left it alone…

StiksnStrings
03-16-2022, 02:05 PM

:party0052:

catnthehat
03-16-2022, 05:03 PM

Before they were restricted I knew lots of guys who used ARs for hunting g coyotes and gophers. And in an AR10 or similar chassis there are lots of options for deer, etc. They are no different than a semi auto wood stocked Remington. Ruger or Winchester as far as I am concerned, except they are black
There are / were lots of 3 gun matches around , as well as long range shooting and hunting with bolt action rifles in cartridges that are now prohibited as well.
I haven't in the past , don't now and likely never will one a semi auto rifle but far be it for me to disparaged anyone who does want one, or the rifles themselves for that matter . It has nothing to do with wanting g to kill so eone.
I have a cousin who used to hunt with an FN before they were prohibited .
Cat

Smokinyotes
03-16-2022, 05:14 PM
“Assault Rifle” is a really stupid name for these rifles. They are black semi auto. Assault weapons are full auto which have been prohibited for a long time.

Twisted Canuck
03-16-2022, 05:18 PM
If outdoorsmen and gun owners can be so misinformed about semi automatic, modern sporting rifles, it is no wonder the non shooting/non gun owning public is so easily hoodwinked about them by the deliberate misrepresentation. Propaganda works.

Battle Rat
03-16-2022, 05:43 PM

Liberals, and possibly yourself included, refer to them as assault style.
The rest of us law abiding citizens call them sporting rifles.
You should spent some time educating yourself before before submitting such a stupid comment.
Unless of course, you are just making a joke, if so, well then LOL.

obsessed1
03-16-2022, 05:49 PM

By that logic why where the queens horsemen packing them while beating up peaceful protesters in Ottawa? The only purpose for these types are for killing the maximum amount of peaceful protesters in the minimum amount of time......
I guess they needed to make certain if running old ladies over with heavy horses wasnt going to work they needed a plan B.

I'd say based on fact only one or maybe two of the how many millions of "assult rifle" owners in the whole history of canadian gun ownership have one with the intent on killing someone with it....this is based on fact not liberal logic..
According to my google search more canadians are killed by pencils every year than AR15s.....

Bushrat
03-16-2022, 06:35 PM

Well there are hundreds of thousands of these 'assault style people killer weapons' in the hands of Canadian citizens. If they are buying them to kill people they are not very good at it. But, if I were you and bought into the fear mongering about these guns I'd be very scared, these guns are just waiting to jump out of gun safes all across the nation, someone on your street has one or many of them, I'd be afraid to leave the house if I were you.

roper1
03-16-2022, 09:27 PM

Have you ever shot targets with one of these??? Clearly not or you wouldn't ask the question, even in jest.

Sundog57
03-17-2022, 06:16 AM
The correctness, or evident lack thereof, of the original OIC notwithstanding, this change confirms what we already knew... that our sainted Prime Minister loves big, virtue signalling pronouncements, but when it comes to actually enacting anything is an ineffectual buffoon.

(Thank You Captain Obvious)

If only the Canadian electorate actually paid attention

DLab
03-17-2022, 06:50 AM

Following Liberal logic( use that term loosely), this post is also "rife" with ignorance.

gunluvr
03-17-2022, 08:09 AM

Why do you ask? Are you planning to go shoot someone?
If hundreds of thousands of people own them and don't go out and shoot people, what does that tell you?

bat119
03-17-2022, 10:10 AM
Bumbling billy and crew have extended the amnesty until oct 2023 what’s up with that ??
Waiting for an election ??

Twisted Canuck
03-17-2022, 10:15 AM
Bumbling billy and crew have extended the amnesty until oct 2023 what’s up with that ??
Waiting for an election ??

They have no plan and no resources to do a buyback or confiscation, so they can't let the amnesty expire. It will highlight their incompetence. So they extend the amnesty and say it is to give those affected gun owners more time to come in to compliance. Because it's apparently our fault they couldn't organize a two car parade.

Not that I'm complaining about the extension as far as that goes. I just find it laughable how they made that big virtue signal gesture to get all these baby killing assault style militarized rifles 'off the street' because no Canadian needs anything that dangerous.

But, you can hang on to them for another 3 and a half years or longer, while we figure out how to do this. So obviously it has nothing to do with public safety.

gunluvr
03-17-2022, 10:47 AM
They have no plan and no resources to do a buyback or confiscation, so they can't let the amnesty expire. It will highlight their incompetence. So they extend the amnesty and say it is to give those affected gun owners more time to come in to compliance. Because it's apparently our fault they couldn't organize a two car parade.

Not that I'm complaining about the extension as far as that goes. I just find it laughable how they made that big virtue signal gesture to get all these baby killing assault style militarized rifles 'off the street' because no Canadian needs anything that dangerous.

But, you can hang on to them for another 3 and a half years or longer, while we figure out how to do this. So obviously it has nothing to do with public safety.

Exactly. Extending this allows at least another year and a half of spouting off about it while not doing anything about it. Typical liberal MO.
It does however, prevent the legal sales of newly prohibited firearms without having to change or introduce any actual "laws".

Smokinyotes
03-17-2022, 01:43 PM
anyone want to bet me that as of October 2023 the liberals have done sweet eff all and the amnesty gets extended again. It hasn’t cost them a cent and all the legal firearm owners have their now prohibited modern sporting rifles safely locked up never to be used again.

gunluvr
03-17-2022, 01:52 PM
anyone want to bet me that as of October 2023 the liberals have done sweet eff all and the amnesty gets extended again. It hasn’t cost them a cent and all the legal firearm owners have their now prohibited modern sporting rifles safely locked up never to be used again.

AND the libs will never have to institute a buy back program, though they can say they will "fairly compensate firearm owners".

huntinstuff
03-17-2022, 04:13 PM
AND the libs will never have to institute a buy back program, though they can say they will "fairly compensate firearm owners".

I hope gun owners who turn in their firearms willingly get nothing by way of compensation.

There should be no buy back program. Not a dime.

That way, some.of our more "pussified" gun owners might not be so apt to comply.

Money buys people, principles, and power. Dont be a paid beotch of Justin and Bill's.......

CaberTosser
03-17-2022, 04:25 PM

Not sure if this is an honest question or if you’re sarcastically trolling :thinking-006:

Stop and think of any semi auto hunting rifle with a wood stock (Remington/ Benelli, etc) and ask yourself if there is any difference between that and an AR-15 that’s chambered in .223 Rem & is limited to 5 rounds? Is the 5 round .223 Rem ‘black gun’ scarier or more dangerous than a 5 round semi-auto .30-06? Of course it isn’t. Hell, .223 Rem isn’t even legal for hunting deer in most provinces. Is a white rental van only good for running people over? Is a certain type of axe only good for massacres? In every example they’re only ever as good or as bad as the user.

gunluvr
03-17-2022, 05:29 PM
Not sure if this is an honest question or if you’re sarcastically trolling :thinking-006:

Is a white rental van only good for running people over? Is a certain type of axe only good for massacres?

Those are really good analogies, Caber.
Hoping that sinks in, but not likely.

Groundhogger
03-17-2022, 06:11 PM

^my eyes bolted right to the post count pretty quickly reading this. (not that I'm a super-active member here)

I sincerely hope that comment is a joke. IF not JR...and...if you own guns and hope to keep it that way..might be a good idea to get caught-up on what's been happening over the last couple of years. Also a good idea to listen to/read Trudeau/Blair's anti-gun propaganda with a critical ear, and ask yourself if ANYTHING you hear is even remotely fact-based.

As my dad used to say about guys like that; "well, he doesn't let the truth stand in the way of a good story"

Worthwhile series to watch;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MblxHAlOGPs

IronNoggin
03-18-2022, 12:38 PM
Cabinet Admits Hunters’ Ban

Cabinet yesterday for the first time acknowledged its national ban on “military style assault weapons” includes hunting rifles. Enforcement of the ban proposed by Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair is now delayed 18 months amid Indigenous complaints and cost overruns: “To misguide and mislead Canadians is disingenuous.”

https://www.blacklocks.ca/cabinet-admits-hunters-ban/

Liberals admit their “military style” gun ban includes hunting and sporting rifles

The Trudeau government has finally confessed that its now-delayed gun ban on so-called “military style assault weapons” also applies to hunting and sporting rifles.

https://tnc.news/2022/03/17/liberals-admit-their-military-style-gun-ban-includes-hunting-and-sporting-rifles/

No creep you say...

Au revoir, Gopher
03-18-2022, 10:23 PM
I don't own anything affected by the OIC so I have not been in contact with the Canadian Firearms Program regarding this. Can someone tell me, has there been any buy back offer made (I'm not aware of any)? Are the just hoping that everyone just turns them in?

ARG

Twisted Canuck
03-19-2022, 06:43 AM
There is no program for the buyback yet. That's the main reason for the extension of the amnesty. The idea is being floated that affected gun owners would fill out an online form at some web portal yet to be designed, voluntarily give them all kinds of info, including banking so they can direct deposit. Then, you voluntarily mail your prohib rifle by Canada Post to the collection facility. And then they decide how much money to give you for it.

So, you get to participate in the confiscation with compensation plan, and disarm yourself, like a good compliant citizen.

https://calibremag.ca/gun-ban-by-mail-how-the-buyback-will-work/

Savage Bacon
03-19-2022, 10:37 AM
I wonder what they'd say when my box shows up full of dog crap.

Oops sorry I don't know where my scary rifle is now, that was like 2 weeks ago. I must have thrown it over the neighbours fence by accident.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Pathfinder76
03-19-2022, 12:20 PM
Cabinet Admits Hunters’ Ban

Cabinet yesterday for the first time acknowledged its national ban on “military style assault weapons” includes hunting rifles. Enforcement of the ban proposed by Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair is now delayed 18 months amid Indigenous complaints and cost overruns: “To misguide and mislead Canadians is disingenuous.”

https://www.blacklocks.ca/cabinet-admits-hunters-ban/

Liberals admit their “military style” gun ban includes hunting and sporting rifles

The Trudeau government has finally confessed that its now-delayed gun ban on so-called “military style assault weapons” also applies to hunting and sporting rifles.

https://tnc.news/2022/03/17/liberals-admit-their-military-style-gun-ban-includes-hunting-and-sporting-rifles/

No creep you say...

They are all hunting and sporting rifles!

crazy_davey
03-19-2022, 02:02 PM

So I guess you were just trolling then…

BlackHeart
03-21-2022, 01:03 PM
There is no program for the buyback yet. That's the main reason for the extension of the amnesty. The idea is being floated that affected gun owners would fill out an online form at some web portal yet to be designed, voluntarily give them all kinds of info, including banking so they can direct deposit. Then, you voluntarily mail your prohib rifle by Canada Post to the collection facility. And then they decide how much money to give you for it.

So, you get to participate in the confiscation with compensation plan, and disarm yourself, like a good compliant citizen.

https://calibremag.ca/gun-ban-by-mail-how-the-buyback-will-work/

Bank account info!!!!!!????? Like F!!! would I ever give these tyrannical dictators that info willingly. Remember how they threaten to confiscate bank accounts and cancel credit cards of those that contributed to the trucker convoy. Remember how that little B didn’t want to rescind the emergency act that gave them special powers....even though the trucker convoy had been dispersed??

Tying your bank account to gun ownership.....especially of the type they don’t think you should have ever had in the first place or that they didn’t know you had.....yeah that’s going to turn out well for ya.

Creates a list that they can now use to de-bank and cancel you the moment they feel like.

Smokinyotes
03-21-2022, 01:07 PM
We have all filed income tax, in reality the government probably already has your banking info.

eltorro
03-21-2022, 05:08 PM
there never seem to have been an emergency to get these out of civilian hands. I think they will extend it into the next election and let the conservatives scrap it, blaming them afterwards.
It is all BS and a smoke screen to cover a worrisome rcmp response to an active shooter.

Sundog57
03-21-2022, 05:19 PM
It is all BS and a smoke screen to cover a worrisome rcmp response to an active shooter.

Who was not licensed to own a firearm, who acquired all of his firearms illegally by smuggling them in from the US and who got his illegal ammunition by threatening to harm his wife and his brother in law.

So let's get on banning legally owned firearms.

On a second note - I feel some sympathy for the RCMP in this instance.
This was a rural detachment.
Although they have some training this was an active shooter on the loose and disguised as a mountie and in a perfect replica of a police vehicle.
Hard to imagine how they could have reacted effectively.

Pioneer2
03-21-2022, 05:21 PM
Disarm civilians of all member nations.

IronNoggin
03-30-2022, 12:52 PM
https://files.constantcontact.com/f1ccb3fd501/8f35a4f2-09dd-42d9-adc6-e3d1da841b0a.jpg

"Stick To Your Guns'' Dinner

with Keynote Speaker

The HON. PIERRE POILIEVRE

Member of Parliament and Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Candidate

Cocktails at 6 p.m. Dinner at 7 p.m.

Ten$ of thousand$ of dollar$ worth of great prize$

The finest all-you-can-eat buffet dinner.

Lots of fun and some great guests!

Single ticket: $69.95 - Special club pricing - Table of 8: $489.65

For tickets, call CSSA office at 1- 888-873-4339 or email: events@cssa-cila.org

FishOutOfWater
03-30-2022, 02:00 PM
https://files.constantcontact.com/f1ccb3fd501/8f35a4f2-09dd-42d9-adc6-e3d1da841b0a.jpg

"Stick To Your Guns'' Dinner

with Keynote Speaker

The HON. PIERRE POILIEVRE

Where...?

EDIT - nevermind...

This year we are holding this event at the Courtyard by Marriott in Oshawa, Ontario.

https://cssa-cila.org/cssa-agm-keynote-speaker-pierre-poilievre/

gunluvr
03-31-2022, 08:23 AM
there never seem to have been an emergency to get these out of civilian hands. I think they will extend it into the next election and let the conservatives scrap it, blaming them afterwards.

It's Trudeau government standard operating procedure; Yak, yak, yak, do nothing, repeat .

bat119
04-16-2022, 08:44 PM
Alberta's chief firearms officer calls on feds to reverse course on weapons ban

Alberta’s chief firearms officer has written a letter to the federal government calling on them to cancel a ban on “military-style” firearms as well as an extension to an amnesty program allowing for owners to keep such guns.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/alberta-s-chief-firearms-officer-calls-on-feds-to-reverse-course-on-weapons-ban/ar-AAWhAuE?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c2b14cc991a549f4ba3220b68b40a8f9

Savage Bacon
04-17-2022, 09:04 AM
Looks like gun crime went up since the ban started. Which doesn't add up.

I thought taking these assault weapons away from law abiding gun owners was supposed to get rid of any and all gun violence?

I still see the stupid commercials on TV and it drives me mad just listening to their nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

32-40win
04-17-2022, 10:30 AM
Try thinking of it as they, haven't got the money because they donated it to the Ukes to buy some real guns. I do hope that thought & deed makes the Lib caucus choke a bit. And Wendy too.

IronNoggin
04-17-2022, 01:29 PM
Alberta CFO urges Ottawa to cancel 2020 firearms ban

Alberta’s Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) has detailed several issues she has with the federal government’s firearms prohibition and actions she would like them to take.

Teri Bryant has written a letter to federal Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino, asking him to cancel the Order in Council prohibitions of May 1, 2020.

Bryant continues to state in her letter that the money being spent by Ottawa to implement the firearms prohibition could be better utilized elsewhere.

If the cost of the ban was constrained to “just $2 billion,” she says that could pay for about 12,000 person-years of specialized law enforcement, regulatory, and social services personnel.

“Surely, this would offer better value for the taxpayers’ hard-earned dollar.”

Other recommendations she made to the federal government include:

Improving identification, tracking, and prosecution of firearms traffickers, straw purchasers, and others who use firearms to commit crimes

Improve social programming initiatives to address criminal behaviour and addictions issues

Provide provinces with the option to opt-out of the firearms prohibition and instead use the funding to create alternative solutions

Increase staffing for law enforcement agencies and enhance communication capabilities between them

https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/2022/04/14/alberta-urges-ottawa-to-cancel-2020-firearms-ban/

Letter in full:

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/026f3e56-cf30-4c6a-8ddd-5c8a829bfb90/resource/8a4c9841-8ef7-424c-be82-16690f60a599/download/jsg-acfo-letter-to-minister-of-public-safety-preparedness-of-canada-2022-04-12.pdf