PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fish at Carolside Reservoir?

Chris84
09-08-2009, 08:09 PM
This year is the first time I have ever been out there, and its been pretty darn good. I have only fished in the south end of the lake and have had good luck, but I would like to know if the north end of the lake is any good and would like to know if you can get a boat in at the north end.

droptine
09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
There is only one boat launch at Carolside but it wont take you long to get to the north end. There is an old house on the north end(not right at the north end) that I would use as a stopping point, beyond that the lake gets fairly shallow unless you stay in the old creek run.

Chris84
09-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks,

How far up is this house? Your not talking about the one thats only a little ways up on the east side, that house is only half way up the lake?

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Where is the reservoir? I don't have my Barry Mitchel guide with me...but is that the one near Sheerness?

hillbillyreefer
09-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes it is south and east of Sheerness. It is part of the cooling system for the plant.

Chris84
09-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Yeah its SE of Sheerness. I was told that it wasn't very good, but I've been there three times this spring/summer and it has been pretty good to me.

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Never tried it...but there's a lot closer pike lakes than that one.

Chris84
09-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Closer to where? For me its fairly close and it has been pretty damn good fishing.

russ
09-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks,

How far up is this house? Your not talking about the one thats only a little ways up on the east side, that house is only half way up the lake?

I'd say about 2 or 3 miles, just take the 1st right and keep going til you see it. You can't miss it ;)

FYI - It's also known as the Berry Creek Reservoir. If you plan on camping, take your own firewood because there isn't any and also make sure there isn't a fireban on, since that seems to be a nearly permanent condition for the area. Check with Special Areas in Youngstown for that.

ULTRAlite
09-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Headed to Carolside Rez tomorrow. Usually hit it up a few times a year. Hear about monsters coming out of there every year. Not last winter but the winter before I was witness to a 30 lber. Used to be some good perch fishing there too. Haven't seen em in years but I hear about spottings now and then. Also been witness to walleye in there. Never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. No boat launch @ the north end. We stay between the house on the east side and the dam. Tried further north but it seems to get very shallow. Good in the spring maybe?? PB outta there is just over 12lbs

nicemustang
09-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Closer to where? For me its fairly close and it has been pretty damn good fishing.

Well I'm not sure where you are, since you have no location posted in your profile. But 2.5 hrs from Calgary....there is a LOT of great pike lakes closer than that.

And I've never been, heard about it though...nothing special to drive 2.5 hrs though. To each their own.

Chris84
09-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Well I'm not sure where you are, since you have no location posted in your profile. But 2.5 hrs from Calgary....there is a LOT of great pike lakes closer than that.

And I've never been, heard about it though...nothing special to drive 2.5 hrs though. To each their own.

Yeah it is a ways from calgary. I am in calgary but have family out that way, so its pretty easy to head out there for a day. I have probably had my best luck there. Not much for walleye though, I have caught one but it was pretty small.